Broadheads

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by 90acres, Jan 13, 2018.

1. 90acres

90acres The good ole days

Mar 4, 2003
    Wardsville
    What broadheads are most folks using?

How does a person know what size bolt to use?

How often to wax the string and rail?

Wasn't sure whether to put this in the archery or crossbow forum.:D

20' likes this.
  2. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    All the maintenance info will come with the bow or you can watch a you tube video covering it. I shoot Tenpoint so pretty much everything is covered by the TP company regarding the recommended arrow, nock, field tip to broadhead/mechanical etc. in writing (owners manual) and videos put out by TP.

You raise a good question though. I think when people start tinkering with different components and begin to stray from the recommendations in the owners manual is when "issues" begin. New bow purchases esp in package type deals you should be good to go. Buying a used crossbow I would be "suspect" to any additional equipment that gets sold along with the bow IE arrows, nocks, etc until your verify they are the correct equipment for said crossbow.

90acres likes this.

3. ILoveDeer

ILoveDeer Member

Dec 10, 2017
    I shoot a Excalibur Vortex. I shoot swacker 100 Gr. broadheads. Wax your string every time you shoot, because of dust and pollen in the air. Never wax the serving only use a rail lube and cleaner to clean the rail.
    Mark

90acres likes this.
  4. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    Use 125gr. Spitfire. I use Sewing Machine Oil on the Rail about every third time out, Wax my String about the same. Wax Serving too because that is where most your wear is.

I like Spitfires because they don't use O Rings and you can replace the Blades if you break one.

I use Gold Tip Bolts they last pretty much forever. Use Half Moon Knocks.

Use Gold Tip Bolts over Aluminum because after shooting a Deer I find you wash them they are good to go.

I killed 4 Deer with one Bolt and Head. 4th Deer I have to refletch and replace one Blade.

Oh shooting Ten Point Titan.

oneshot
    :D The Big Grin has thought about riding the rails.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  5. nastyjack63

nastyjack63 Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2006
    osage county
    Check out the forums at crossbownation.com Click on the community dropdown to read the forums. Very helpful folks there and lots of great info.

I'm not using any of the accessories that came with my PSE. The factory arrows were junk and I use the same broadheads I always used, 100 gr swhackers, although I am going to try a heavier head this summer. Also want to play with 2219 aluminum arrows.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  6. 90acres

90acres The good ole days

Mar 4, 2003
    Wardsville
    Thanks Jack, why aluminum?

7. nastyjack63

nastyjack63 Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2006
    osage county
    Cost & arrow weight. Aluminum is cheaper & heavier than carbon and I think a heavier arrow should help with noise. I'm shooting a 425 grain arrow @ 360ish fps so if I can get quieter and still stay above 330-340 fps or so I think it would be a decent trade off.

90acres likes this.
  8. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    My Gold Tip is 409Gr. with 125Gr. Head and shoots just fine. Like I say I've used Aluminum and everyone after shooting a Deer is trash.

Gold Tips cost more but well worth it.

oneshot

:D The Big Grin likes Gold.

9. STTH

STTH Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Turd Crick North
    I have been using 3 Blade 100 gr. Muzzy fixed in my Horton Storm, kilt a couple turks with them, never found the right deer to try one on.

10. deep woods goat hunter

deep woods goat hunter Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    don't shoot xgun, but I'm with OneShot on the spitfires

11. vixenmaster

vixenmaster Active Member

Sep 24, 2008
    Pottersville
    Most crossbows use arrows from 350 gr on up to 500 gr in general.Length is stated by maker of crossbow. B-heads Mech. n Fixed n i use both n everyone has a favorite choice. Including myself, NAP Spitfire XXX100 gr, fixed i like Striker 100 gr n NAP Hellrazors 100 gr. Personally i don't put lube nor wax on my serving. You can use products of lube on your deck in good steed

90acres likes this.