Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts

·
6,651 Posts
do mechanicals work and look cool? sure. has nothing to do with my statement that they simply do not and will not ever outperform a fixed blade. It's not physically possible. Never said they were junk and I stand by my statement that I think they are funny.

When you hit one back I think a big mechanical out performs a fixed head as far as time it takes to die. Penetration on a forward shot would def be advantage fixed blade

·
4,830 Posts
I don't watch a lot of these kind of tests, but I did find this one interesting.
My take aways from this... the QAD Exodus penetrated a lot better than it looks like it would....some mechanicals don't open.... Grim reapers may be one of the best mechanicals out there
even though they are old school.

My boys are testing out the QAD Exodus this year. So far great results...accuracy dead on up to 40 yards(12 year old kid) and great blood trail and pass through. 55 lb bow.

After having tried SEVR's and talked to many who have shot a lot with Rages, the Grim Reapers might deserve a testing by someone looking for a mech. head.

I killed a lot of deer with good old Thunderhead 100's. Back about 25 years ago.

I will say that I have been super impressed the QAD Exodus. All 6 of my boys heads spun true on the shaft and they fly just as accurate as field points.
I will probably try some myself in the future.

·
Registered
23,068 Posts
do mechanicals work and look cool? sure. has nothing to do with my statement that they simply do not and will not ever outperform a fixed blade. It's not physically possible. Never said they were junk and I stand by my statement that I think they are funny.

i guess we assume that every archer has a perfectly tuned bow and shoots their heads.....that siad it is likely mechaicals o[greatly out preform fixed in 90% of the archery set-ups.

·
13,871 Posts
OKAY, you QAD Exudos guys, which one? Full or swept? not that it matters

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
71,001 Posts
NAP Spitfire’s. Although next year I’m switching to a fixed blade…just not sure what one.
So, serious question..... Why? Have you ever had a bad experience with the Spitfires. I don't kill but 1-2 deer a year with archery equipment on average. Last dozen or so deer were all killed with spitfire maxx, and they all died about as fast as a deer that gets shot with one of my deer rifles, often faster than that even.....

I can understand switching to a fixed, if you are planning to hunt elk, but unless I have a bad experience with the spitfires on whitetails, that's the last thing I am changing in my archery setup..... They've been one of the best pieces of archery equipment I've ever adopted.....

BTW, before I went to spitfires.... I was using G5 Montecs, and I killed 5 or 6 deer with those.... While they all died, it did take longer for them to die, had a doe that was double lunged up at Pinny's place go almost 200 yds before dying, with almost no blood trail. It was a good shot, but it just didn't kill her fast, or leave a good blood trail.

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
71,001 Posts
mechanical broadheads are hilarious... the only clean and sure way an arrow kills is with penetration. those mechanicals completely undermine that process. find a solid fixed blade broadhead. I've seen some progress with the single bevel broadheads but I stick with Montec G5's 125 grain.
Well, I guess I'm gonna have to disagree, I get full passthrus on my shots using spitfire maxx, and it gives me better blood trail, and faster mortality. In all honesty, to say they are hilarious is sort of a hilarious statement to make. :D I used G5's for about 6 deer, they all died, but a heck of a lot slower than did the spitfire deers. And yes, they were good shots..... Killed 3 deer with G5's in 2011, one had to leave over night, yotes got him. The next day, killed a doe, almost 200 yd with little blood tracking job, and one mini the week before rifle season. The mini died very fast, and it was probable the worst shot of the three. The first two were Double lung hits. I got pics of the holes.... :D

·
4,830 Posts
I don't watch a lot of these kind of tests, but I did find this one interesting.
My take aways from this... the QAD Exodus penetrated a lot better than it looks like it would....some mechanicals don't open.... Grim reapers may be one of the best mechanicals out there
even though they are old school.

My boys are testing out the QAD Exodus this year. So far great results...accuracy dead on up to 40 yards(12 year old kid) and great blood trail and pass through. 55 lb bow.

After having tried SEVR's and talked to many who have shot a lot with Rages, the Grim Reapers might deserve a testing by someone looking for a mech. head.

I killed a lot of deer with good old Thunderhead 100's. Back about 25 years ago.

I will say that I have been super impressed the QAD Exodus. All 6 of my boys heads spun true on the shaft and they fly just as accurate as field points.
I will probably try some myself in the future.
About the 14 minute mark is where they shot some of the top heads that survived the cardboard test.

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
71,001 Posts

·
King of the White Ninjas
25,328 Posts
So, serious question..... Why? Have you ever had a bad experience with the Spitfires. I don't kill but 1-2 deer a year with archery equipment on average. Last dozen or so deer were all killed with spitfire maxx, and they all died about as fast as a deer that gets shot with one of my deer rifles, often faster than that even.....

I can understand switching to a fixed, if you are planning to hunt elk, but unless I have a bad experience with the spitfires on whitetails, that's the last thing I am changing in my archery setup..... They've been one of the best pieces of archery equipment I've ever adopted.....

BTW, before I went to spitfires.... I was using G5 Montecs, and I killed 5 or 6 deer with those.... While they all died, it did take longer for them to die, had a doe that was double lunged up at Pinny's place go almost 200 yds before dying, with almost no blood trail. It was a good shot, but it just didn't kill her fast, or leave a good blood trail.

Never had an issue but over the course of the next 3-5 years I’ve got hunts booked ranging from mule deer to elk to bear to possibly moose. I’m looking at changing to a heavier arrow and fixed blade broad head next year.
Years ago when I switch from Muzzy to mechanical it was due to arrow flight and cutting diameter. The higher end fixed blade heads have corrected a lot of those issues with proper equipment and practice so I’m going to make the switch.

·
4,830 Posts
Never had an issue but over the course of the next 3-5 years I’ve got hunts booked ranging from mule deer to elk to bear to possibly moose. I’m looking at changing to a heavier arrow and fixed blade broad head next year.
Years ago when I switch from Muzzy to mechanical it was due to arrow flight and cutting diameter. The higher end fixed blade heads have corrected a lot of those issues with proper equipment and practice so I’m going to make the switch.
Look into bareshaft tuning. Get bareshafts to fly perfect at 30 yards(start about 5-10 yards). Broadheads should fly exact same if you have ZERO fletch contact.

Spin tune broadheads to arrowshafts. Use an arrow squaring device or if you are broke like me just sand the ends until you get broad head to spin vibration free.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts