Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
70,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Paid a visit to Earl Foster at BB Archery in Raytown. I had him check out my bow since it was used when I bought it. He put it on the scale and it was only pulling 57 lbs. so I had him set it on 61 lbs for starters. I'm shooting my new Carbon Express Maximas 350's which are a dream compaired to my old XX75 2117 aluminums. While I was there he checked my draw length and everything was A-OK. I wasn't to pleased with the D-loop that I put on last week so he put on a larger diameter hunter orange one. I was all set until I saw a set of Muzzy MX-4's on the wall. I picked up a set of three for $24 plus 6 target tips all 100 gr. I haven't shot a Muzzy for at least 20 years. I still have a set somewhere but they are way to heavy for my carbon arrows. I'm heading out tomorrow morning to the Lake City Archery Range to sight in everything. And by the way DSG....Earl said that Hot Shot T-releases are coming back and they have an excellent product. He looked at my "Antique Hot Shot" release and said give her a go. " Looks good to me". I had him put the D-loop on just a bit longer than I had so I wouldn't be hitting the wall. He even talked me into taking off the metal knock I had on my string. I'm not "Old School Anymore". Look Out Targets.....here I come.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
Ya sound ready and set bud.

Good Luck with it Mailman.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Those things rock Mailman! I wish they made them in 75 grain. I may just have to move up to 100 grain! Besides, I think they're pretty. :)

Glad you stopped in to see Earl, he's a really good man. Hope you tode him HI for me!

·
Registered
70,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would have said hi for you but I didn't think he would know who the He** DSG was. The only thing the Muzzy line has is a 75 grain three blade. Those are still good. I'm gonna have to start to keep a cheat sheet in my bilfold with the on line names cross referenced with their real names..................................does this mean that we are getting too personal here on line?? Sort of like becoming a on-line family.

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
I still have a set somewhere but they are way to heavy for my carbon arrows.

How heavy are they??? I'm bettin they aren't too heavy.....

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Oh Mailman, he would have known, if you'da just put in a little description. :D

As far as the new Hot Shot releases. I have seen them. If they are anything like their older counterparts they are good products. However, they are priced right up there with Carter and Stan and all of the other big names. It may be hard for them to break back in.

Glad you got rid of the nocking point inside your D-loop too! It wasn't necessary. You are still "old school" at heart though. :cheers:

·
Registered
70,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You got me to thinking there fireman so I dug through my garage drawers and found an old check box full of old broadheads and field points. A bunch of 4 blade wasp with two different widths all 135 grain. Found 3 of the 125 grain three blade muzzys. These have been through he** and back. Those Morgan county rock play havoc with those razor blades. Now I'm putting the whole box back where I found it. I'm Hi Tech now.....carbons...MX-4........I'm fired up!!:banana::banana::banana:

Attachments

·
Registered
12,626 Posts
Earl Foster is just about one of the best in the business in my opinion. Glad you made it over to his shop there. Use that hot shot release, you'll really like it, I just love mine and wouldn't think of useing anything else. So those things are running about the same as a Carter is huh?. They were only about $30 when I bought mine. Glad I have 2 of them.:D

Mailman, I haven't been out to the range in BS since last summer, do they have target butts set up that are at set distances, 20, 30,40 yards? They had just opened that area when I was there last.

·
Registered
70,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They have 10 yd, two 20 yd, 30, 40, 50, 60 and 80 yd targets. They have (just like the range at Jacomo) an A and a B range with various shooting conditions on both. The A range is a little steep here and there but that is just like the area I hunt on my place in Morgan county. Last week when I was there the caretaker came by and talked to me a bit. I commented on the new range on how it looked real nice and he said it was just a temporary range while they get the permanent one finished. He informed me that is going to be on Truman Road just east of 7 hiway. I haven't gone over there to check it out. Might do that in the morning. The range is only 5 miles from my house. I should be there in the morning around 10 if anyone wants to join me. I'll be the one with a big smile on my face.:banana:

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
Looks like it'd put a whole in a deer to me!!
:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
70,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Been back from the range and did alright after about everything went wrong. Started off with my prong rest loosing a screw right at the wrong time (at the release). Totally destroyed a $7 arrow when it hit the steel angle iron frame on the target. Only thing salvageable is the vanes and knock. I was working on my 40 yd pin when all of a sudden the peep site came popping out of the string. I had asked Earl at the archery shop yesterday to check it to make sure everything was tight. One of the servings had worked its way down and the peep popped out. After I fixed that I had drawn back about 3/4 way and pow!! My trigger went off and flung my arrow way out in the field and I popped myself in the lip with my knuckle. Long story short....it did it two more times and my lip is all puffed up like I had been in a fight at the bar. I put away the release and used an old one from then on. I checked out the release later and found the pin inside had worn down just enough to make it go off at the wrong time. Pinwheel was right after all..........the old Hot Shot is now an antique to be put in a display case. Excuse me....but I have to go get some fresh ice for my lip. I gotta get the swelling down before the wife gets home or she won't let me play with my toys anymore.

Attachments

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,469 Posts
Mailman, For your sake, I wish I hadn't been right. If you get back over to earls, ask him if he remembers Randy & Jenny Walker. He'll probably remember Jenny, she's pretty unforgetable. Earl & Millie have done so much for the sport of archery in the state of Missouri. Garuntee they're thought of fondly in most archery circles around the state. I can't count the number of fat lips I've had over the years from a release going off at the wrong time. I've got a hole trash can full of arrows that look like that.

Hang right in there, it's gonna get better.

What grain are those Muzzy's? I shoot 90 grain 4 blade.

·
Registered
70,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They are the new MX-4's in 100 grain. (See posted pics above) I think maybe that is why I stashed the Hot Spot in the garage cause 20 yrs ago it was probably doing the same thing. I might just give it a fling to the bottom of the pond so when I'm 78 I won't be trying to use it again. Darned Memory anyways. It's He** to get OLD.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Sounds like a good day all things considered. OH, maybe keep that arrow under your side of the bed eh!

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
Looks like ya got some decent energy outta dat bow....hehehe. I'm thinkin budlite should help the lip a bit!!!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.