Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did some research today at the local bait supply shop for us. The #72 (600 pound test) is what I have for my larger main line. I've got some #60 too, its 500 and some change pound test.

So......I guess #72 would be the stuff to get from Memphis Net and Twine......green braided.

Memphis is $4 cheaper per spool than the place here locally that has the gold line I use.

Parker

G

·
Hey Parker I am not sure if he is going to get on here tonight

He is not feeling good, but I will call him here in a bit and let him know about the post :2thumbsup:

:cheers:

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can let him be then. I sent him a link to this, so he'll get it when he has the time.

Parker

·
Registered
8,513 Posts
thanks bud
hopfully i'll feel like going out today and
seeing what this stuff i have is

the belly flue has hit me hard

·
Registered
8,513 Posts
ok, i got out and looked
i have a new spool here from last year
and it is no.48 wich is 400lb
the 78 is 600lb wich i think would be alot
easyer on the hands.

do you see any reason not too use line this heavey ?

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There's only one reason to not use TOO heavy of line, and that is when a hook goes in your hand, and you come out of the boat. No question 600 pound test would hold down any of us.

When you're on the Mighty Miss, you've GOTTA have a couple or three sharp knives on you at ALL TIMES. :cheers:

That's it Brick. Other than that, I'd say go with the larger line.

Too bad we can't find Kahles with a large eye on them, and then we could use that old main line of yours as our drops. NEVER lose a fish that way. :cheers:

I had ONE broken drop last year from the Dacron. Straightened a few hooks too, but always got the fish even on the straightened hook. Wonder if Coyotehunter can weigh in on lost big fish from last year due to equipment failure. :thinking:

Parker

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Two years ago, Hannibal and I broke some #60 when the wind got ahold of the boat BADLY and I kept ahold of the line. It held us and the entire boat in 30+ mph winds for a little bit while I was trying to get back control of things with the trolling motor.

It was a messy night of setting lines, but ol' Hannibal will never forget THIS fish the next morning. :rof2: :rock: Ol' Hannibal thought I was jerking on the line trying to pull his chain! :rof2: :rock: 34 pounds of chain jerking when he finally got the net out and ready! :D

Parker

[file]45129[/file]

·
Registered
8,513 Posts
old yote was telling me about that one, and he still had a tear in his eye.

i think i will go ahead and order the big stuff.
i think i am going to make a bigger bait tank
to keep in the truck and put the one i had last
year in the boat

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:2thumbsup: Bigger is better, right?! :2thumbsup:

Parker

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
Something that I have used for a main line before and it worked pretty decent. Orschlen's has rope that they use for horse's and so forth. Multi-colored and braided. Used it at LOZ and it worked pretty good. You don't have to worry about the line being to small to hold on to. I think we use 3/8" diameter and it comes in 100' length's

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:thinking: That really big stuff wouldn't work too well for the way I tie drops though. :thinking:

You don't think the twine would be cheaper?

This bigger stuff I'm talking about is 252 feet in a spool, so it would be between 4 and 6 cents a foot to your door.

Parker

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
Don't know about the price. I usually use swivel's on the main line then put my drops down from there. Tombstone in columbia has swivel's that are big enough to run the 3/8" rope through. I think they are 1500lbs tensile strength.

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:eek: NICE! Those would be sweet to see! I've GOT to make it to that shop next time I'm in Columbia! :2thumbsup:

Parker

1 - 13 of 13 Posts