Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
70,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I'm new to this sport of muzzle loader shooting I'm gona ask some questions. As for the grease for your breech plug I know that each of the name brand muzzler loader companies supply their own type of grease but I try to cut corners whenever I can to save a nickle or two. I have bought a small tube of T/C brand of grease but it is just a bit steep in price for the amount that you get. I was at a local discount store and found a bottle (8 oz.) of Loctite Nickel Anti-Seize for $1.99. It says on the bottle "Lubricant that Protects Metal Parts from Seizing and Galling to 2400 degrees F." It also says "It is recommended where copper contamination must be avoided, under conditions of extreme pressure and temperature, and with stainless steel, titanium and nickel alloys." Any comments from you experts?

Attachments

·
Registered
11,973 Posts
They make some "cheap" muzzloader breachplug greases but you might be better off to be safe than sorry. You will find out one day what a frozen breach plug is like and you will spend that extra cash.

·
Registered
38,303 Posts
Whichever brand you decide to use, you CAN use too much, but don't be afraid to use enough...lol. I personally use the Knight grease...found on clearance after the season. I would imagine that the anti seize above would work just fine, but I know that stuff is hard to clean off when you want too...won't hardly come out of your jeans from wipin your hands off!!!!

·
Registered
38,303 Posts
Originally posted by Mailman
Fireman didn't yo momma teach you different. S'pose to use yo shirt tail.
Tall as I am, momma couldn't afford shirts dat had tails...hehehe

·
Registered
70,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I looked at three different Wal-marts and none of them had the Slick 50 one. And to top things off.....they had gotten rid of all and I mean ALL of the muzzle loading products that they used to carry. That settles it.....I'm going to ****'s Sporting Goods from now on for all of my sporting goods stuff. Including fishing stuff.

·
Under appreciated
92,533 Posts
WM never carried any useful m-loading supplies anyway.

WM is only good for soap, shampoo and toilet paper.. lol

·
Registered
45 Posts
I too am stuck on the Knight grease!:rotfl: Just cause it is the grease that came with my Knight and since 96, I've used about half a tube. Heard of great and wonderous things of the T/C Gorilla grease but it's gonna be hard to beat that Loc-Tite Like the man said one stuck breech plug and you'll figure out that more is better! Cya 1madjack:banana:

·
PURE KILLER
38,011 Posts
i've been using something similar for years,havn't had any problems yet,as long as you remeber to put it on.i have been known to forget:mad2:

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
For years i have used nothing but spark plug anti-seize on nipples and breech plugs.

With all the cars, mini-vans, pick-ups, tractors, motorcycles and jet skis around this house, a tube is always on the work bench.

·
Registered
11,973 Posts
:cool3::cool3:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.