3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Breaking News!
Happy Thanksgiving

FY 2021
Wild Turkey Study in Missouri on the Iowa Border
Only 21% of nests successfully hatched!
Only 23% of poults surviving!
Which lower than the previous 5 year study in Northern Missouri.

Missouri Sets TWO season records in 2021.
2021 is Missouri Worst Fall Turkey Season in history.
2021 Spring Missouri Wild Turkey Season the worst season in 24-year history of the three-week season in Missouri
Never mind I forget the we are waiting on the 5 year study on Iowa Border. ROFLMAOIf you keeping track 2,360 hens have been killed this fall in Missouri during lowest population since 1989.
Fall Shotgun and Archery so far.
You keeping hearing 5% to 1% of the fall season doesn’t matter Bla, Bla, Bla
But in the same breath the Quail Biologist 6% Adult Survival during breeding season. – Just 6% does not sound like a lot!!!!
But if 6% of the quail are making thru the breeding season it just COMPOUNDS THE NUMBER OF NEST AND NEST SUCCESS.
Only Wild Turkeys this does not apply in Missouri.
Killing hens turkeys the only WILDLIFE that the North American Model for Wildlife Conservation does not apply on controlling the population by killing the female population -
Past Wild Turkey Research has a different conclusion.
Fall hunting would not affect turkey populations IF FALL HUNTING MORTALITY IS COMPENSATORY that is, if there is a compensating increase in survival during other periods of the year to offset fall hunting, or if birds shot by fall hunters would have died anyway to some other agent. NEITHER OF THESE SITUATION EXISTED DURING THIS STUDY. AVERAGE ANNUAL SURVIVAL RATES OF ALL AGE-SEX CLASSES DECLINED AFTER FALL HUNTERS WAS INTRODUCED.
This implies that fall hunting may affect future turkey populations. SHOOTHING ADULT TURKEYS IN POOR PRODUCTION YEARS MAY REDUCE THE NUMBER OF HENS AVAILABLE TO NEST as well as reduce gobbler numbers available to hunters. A REDUCTION IN HENS COULD REDUCE RECRUITMENT AND TOTAL TURKEY NUMBERS FURTHER AND PROLONG THE RECOVER FROM POOR PRODUCTION THAN WOULD HAVE OCCURRED WITHOUT FALL HUNTING
FAMED Tennessee biologist Jack Murray – “If you don’t have hens, you won’t have any gobblers and if you don’t have gobblers, you don’t have hunters.”

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
In no particular order.
1) raccoons, possums, skunks, bobcats, owls, hawks.
2) awful stretches of cold and cold/wet during nesting and post hatch periods.
3) loss of habitat * IN SOME AREAS*. Does absolutely nothing to explain the downturn in areas that have exactly the same habitat as there was 30 years ago. However, no matter what MDC preaches, large scale logging absolutely falls into the “poor habitat” category when it comes to turkeys.

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
71,496 Posts
So the question is, why is the nesting and poult survival so low?

I do not care about the hunting season, that is secondary
I can’t speak for whole state. But here is what I am observing.

I own a pretty good 60 acres of solid turkey habitat.
Now, when I run cams, or sit on stand for deer. I have 5-10x more raccoon and possum sightings. Poult hen sightings are way down. I don’t care how well momma turkey conceals her nest, with that number of predators most nests will have zero chance of poult survival.

i do plan to trap/hunt raccoons and possums this winter. See if that helps. But lets say i have 10-15 raccoons and possums hunting on my place, and I significantly reduce that number, I know one thing. It will not negatively impact poult to hen ratios on my place. #Fact

Reactions: 20'

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I can’t speak for whole state. But here is what I am observing.

I own a pretty good 60 acres of solid turkey habitat.
Now, when I run cams, or sit on stand for deer. I have 5-10x more raccoon and possum sightings. Poult hen sightings are way down. I don’t care how well momma turkey conceals her nest, with that number of predators most nests will have zero chance of poult survival.

i do plan to trap/hunt raccoons and possums this winter. See if that helps. But lets say i have 10-15 raccoons and possums hunting on my place, and I significantly reduce that number, I know one thing. It will not negatively impact poult to hen ratios on my place. #Fact
I have 10 **** to1 turkey pics year round. Last year I really trapped heavy ,maybe 6 years ago. My rabbit population exploded. Hundreds of acres of EXCELLENT habitat and seldom kick up a rabbits.

·
In Mourning ___ Save the Ninja
5,053 Posts
In no particular order.
1) raccoons, possums, skunks, bobcats, owls, hawks.
2) awful stretches of cold and cold/wet during nesting and post hatch periods.
3) loss of habitat * IN SOME AREAS*. Does absolutely nothing to explain the downturn in areas that have exactly the same habitat as there was 30 years ago. However, no matter what MDC preaches, large scale logging absolutely falls into the “poor habitat” category when it comes to turkeys.
You left out SNAKES ON a PLANE

1 - 12 of 12 Posts