Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read a review online and the author mentioned that he "properly broke in" both barrels befor testing.

the author went on to describe the process...

"...The break-in procedure consisted of firing five rounds and then cleaning the barrel until the patches came out white. Then I'd follow with five more and do it all over again..."

This is the first I have heard of this. I'm curious, do any of you go through this process.

Oh ya...and the review was NOT about M/L

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I don't go through that, though I do clean the barrel before I shoot the rifle/shotgun for the first time. The barrel on a new gun always has some brown sludge on may many patches when new. I would be interested in hearing what others have to say though.....

·
Registered
21,417 Posts
I've heard of something along that lines and have tried to follow it on new rifle purchases ever since. For me, new rifles don't happen very often. But it made sense to start out with a clean gun and go through a more rigorous cleaning procedure after shooting a few rounds when the gun/barrel is new.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I agree. At worst you are wasting a little time. I'm thinking I might follow this process on new purchases. The author claimed that it is in effect "seasoning" the barrel.

He went on to give the details of his regiment during this break in period...excerpt below

"...I typically use several cleaning solvents in my routine, starting with Hoppe's BR 9 first. I use three wet patches pushed through the bore from breech to muzzle (never pulled back through), followed by a thorough brushing. Then I patch it until dry and follow with Sweets or Barnes CR10-soaked patches to remove the copper fouling. Typically, it'll take a half dozen or so wet patches followed with about the same number of dry patches. Then I hit the bore once more with BR 9. If the rig is going into storage, I follow with a light coat of oil..."

Sounds like an EXTENSIVE cleaning...

·
Registered
70,604 Posts
Last year when I first purchased my Marlin .17 HMR rifle I joined another site to find out more about my little caliber. It was Rimfirecentral.com There were a lot of fellas on there that swore that the .17 HMR and M2 had to be "broken in" by shooting it similar to what you said DWB. They insisted that they wouldn't start to come close to keeping a tight group until the rifle had a minimum of 500 rounds shot through it. There was one fella that after doing the shoot 5 and clean trick until he reached the 500 mark said that after the 500th round that he has never cleaned the barrel since. Their claim is that the rifling inside the barrel has so many nicks and gouges in it from just cutting the rifling from the factory that it impedes the round from traveling through the barrel. The process of shooting and cleaning so many times hones out all of those imperfections thus creating a flawless barrel. With the little .17 HMR (smaller than a .22 caliber) it helped considerately with the grouping. I do think it can work on any rifle in a larger caliber but for a normal hunter it doesn't matter that much. These fellas want all 5 rounds touching at 100 yards.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That sounds like solid reasoning Mailman. I had never thought about the burrs and nicks left when the rifling is cut. I'll bet it don't take much to tweak a tiny round like that off kilter a bit.

The guy cleaning his rifle every 5 shots for 500 rounds...now THAT is dedication to accuracy. I'm not sh sure I could follow through that far. And never cleaning your rifle again after the first 500 rounds???

·
Registered
38,303 Posts
I kind of did that very thing when I got my 25-06 a few years back...but nowhere near 500 rounds...I believe the guy that told me about it said 2-3 boxes would suffice....so I prolly did 3-4 boxes, cleaning every few rounds...I do believe that it groups better now than it did brand new. I did use the cheapest Remington ammo I could find to break it in, instead of the hi dolla 23 bucks a box that I hunt with though!!!!

·
Registered
731 Posts
I shoot long range up to 1/2 mile with a bunch of guys and they get serious about their rifles. Yes they do the whole barrel break in procedure and they do alot more then just what you described. They shoot 1 rnd then run 10 patchs threw it that has copper solvent, then more patches dry till they come out clean, then they run more patches threw it with oil, then they use regular barrel cleaner then oil again. then they shoot 2 rnds and repeat the process. They do it like this for the first 50 rnds or somethin like that. It takes all day for them to shoot 2 boxes of ammo when breakin the barrel in. I just shoot, and i still hit the targets so i dont see no need for it at all.

·
Registered
13,804 Posts
Barrel makers LOVE for people to go thru that, it adds to the round count, and makes it that much quicker for another barrel sale. From the very first shot fired, the barrel is starting to wear, that's just common sense, right? More barrels are ruined by bad cleaning practices then shooting, though, cleaning without a rod guide, using jointed rods, or aluminum rods, or eyelets, dragging nasty patches back thru the barrel, all those things are harder on a barrel than shooting it. Each barrel maker has their own theories, just read each website, you can get a headache from it all.
I just clean them really well when I get a new rifle home, and then shoot it.
www.riflebarrels.com
www.pacnor.com
and I don't know others off the top of my head, but some say go thru the rigamarole, some say don't bother. Who ya gonna believe?

·
just a no body
15,868 Posts
Since I have'nt had a new rifle to "break in " in forever I'v not tried it but IGOR & myself have studied this proceedure..he more than I .

I'd probably go for the shoot a couple & clean for the 1st box..after that it is what it is

·
Registered
13,804 Posts
That's probably the best way to do it, beanpile. Anything more is just burning powder and using up solvent.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
i like to give a new barrel a good scrubbing with either flitz or jb bore paste before i head to the range. when i clean it after that first outing if it has a lot of copper fouling i'll do it again.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
still sitting on the fence a little on this one, the break in procedure
that some of the manufacture's put out there is a bunch of bunk.
but takin it a little easy on a new barrel, and cleaning a little more
that a "seasoned gun" sure can't hurt.
i will give one example, my mother bought a new a-bolt in .308,
it probably had mabey 40 rds. through it.
it was the most copper fouled gun i have ever seen, you could
see the copper in the bore.
that gun could have used a break in obviosly it was rough as he$$.
beanpile you saw that, is a matter of fact you cleaned it.
i'm betting that took a very long time.

·
just a no body
15,868 Posts
yea your right I was wondering if I'd ever get that sucker clean..its still a shooter but I sure wonder "what if" if that thing had some TLC..now its been abused set next to a hot wood stove, let rust & dropped wher its got dings in the wood now..poor thing.

I loved cleaning it tho..it was a labor of love

·
Registered
481 Posts
best advice i can give you is to get a bore snake. hoppes #9 makes in every caliber. when i put the new barrel on my 17, i would shoot a clip, then run the boresnake with the tip loaded with hoppes through it a couple times, then repeat for a few clips. dang barrel has been a very good investment from the accuracy dept.

·
Original Cafe'Member
1,721 Posts
The Bore snake is on the job with the Hoppe's Elite Cleaner and Oil, that copper-wool and bush should do the trick.....once it gets hot! :sniper:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.