Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new area I want to plant in clover next year. I want to put in some brassicas, what would you recommend?

How many pounds per acre?

Also, I am doing a 4 acre soybean field. I'll be broadcasting it. Is there any ohter plant I should add to the field? I plan to mow it down when it gets brown and replant it in the fall with soybeans again. My thinking is the young plants would be pretty attractive in the fall. I realize they will never reach maturity. Maybe I should mix in some other such as ww or oats, what do you think?

We put 3 tons of lime on all of the fields (11 acres) in December so it should be ready for discing under in the spring. I put this on some clover and alfalfa fields I had already planted last fall, I assume I just let the snow and rain mix it into the soil, am I right?

·
Biology nit wit exposer
81,172 Posts
If you sow the brassicas in late august or early sept,,you could sow your clover as well and use the brassicas as a cover crop for the new clover. I wouldn't overlook the value of the grain that first planting of soybeans would provide if left standing. You might try broadcasting ww into the beans when they start dropping leaves and let them stand for the late fall and winter feed. If you sow the beans in early may and get a short season bean,,you should be able to broadcast ww by the end of sept.(.02)

:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
21,220 Posts
Of the brassicas, I've seen pretty good deer activity on rape and turnips. I believe the turnips should be @ 2.5 lbs/acre and rape @ 3.5 lbs./acre. Good luck. :2thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
I don't like putting brassicas and clover together...too much leaf on the brassicas and they seem to out compete the clovers....winter wheat, oats, and rye are better substitutes for a mix with clover.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know turnips should be planted in the summer (July in my area) but when should other brassicas (rape, etc) be planted. I plan to plant the clover in April/May and wouldn't want to think about discing it up to put in the other seed.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Just me but if I was going to spring plant clover I would frost seed in Feb/March. You can also seed your clover in the fall probably in sept for best results.

I always try to plant all my brassicas in August but have waited as late as mid Sept with some success.

·
Registered
21,220 Posts
I think the brassicas I've planted were late summer, possibly early fall. I need to start taking better notes with dates of my food plot prep, fertilizing, lime, chemicals and especially planting dates. Guess this year is a good year to take better notes.

·
Registered
17,089 Posts
Make getting a good stand of soybeans that put on pods a priority and then broadcast in ww, brassicas or whatever you want, before the leaves drop. My advice is to go light on the brassicas/turnips/rape/whatever, until you know your deer like them. Broadcasting ww into standing beans is always a win-win.

I personally believe it would be a big mistake to mow them and start over.

·
Under appreciated
88,171 Posts
Henry and hab just showed how easy this thing can be with the sobe/wheat combo.
Could also do corn fb an annual such as winter vetch or something that would carry some N credits through to next spring... just sayin. :D

"glamor"plots are just that... glamorous. lol

People like to tinker too much IMO. :peepwall:

·
Registered
7,515 Posts
I drilled wheat, oats and turnips after disking up my sunflower plot the end of September. My turnips didnt get very tall and by the end of rifle season,, very little usage.
Im hoping the wheat will take over in the spring.

·
Jenny's Lackey
46,684 Posts
If you're wanting green soybeans in the fall, why not plant a late maturing bean along with early maturing beans? That's my exact plan next year. Already got a good line on some stage 5 beans to mix with my stage 3 beans. All will be RR so I should be able to spray them once, & be good to go till well into bow season if we get a late frost.

·
just a no body
14,543 Posts
boy you must have big $$ in your food plots .. Stager 3 Beans here & stage 5 beans there ... Wowzers.

I do like the idea of them late maturing beans tho

·
Jenny's Lackey
46,684 Posts
Originally posted by beanpile
boy you must have big $$ in your food plots .. Stager 3 Beans here & stage 5 beans there ... Wowzers.

I do like the idea of them late maturing beans tho
I do spend a lot of money on plots beanpile, but not near what I used to. Fortunately, I've made some connections that help me keep some of my seed costs down. Just wish I could find a fertiizer connection to help offset that cost.

When we bought our farm, it was in production & we got a cost share check. Since then, we've turned every tillable acre into a crp program, or food plots. From the beginning, Jenny & I decided, we are not farmers. We make our income through other means & that our farm was an investment & our hobby. All we ask of the income from the property is to pay our property taxes & everything that's left over goes into habitat improvements & food plots.

We don't drink, we don't socialize much & we don't have many hobbies, other than hunting & habitat management. We've always spent big money on our hobbies & I don't see us changing anytime soon.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Originally posted by TOBRYAN
I drilled wheat, oats and turnips after disking up my sunflower plot the end of September. My turnips didnt get very tall and by the end of rifle season,, very little usage.
Im hoping the wheat will take over in the spring.
I was disappointed in the growth of my turnips this year too. I planted Labor day weekend. They were suppose to be purple top and did not put on a turnip bigger than half dollar dia. I got them a the the Valley Park Grain Elevator hardware store. Musta been forage turnips. They were heavily munched on nearly the whole growing season. The deer are digging up the small turnips now.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Sounds like the turnips are doing what they were supposed to do...maybe an earlier planting would put some more mass on the nips...

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Thayer I was kinda thinking that too, last year I planted in early August. The turnips were huge by mid-November. Seed from VPGE too. Also I put down a tons of Ag lime last fall at a rate of 2-3 tons/acre. Hope my pH did not go up too much.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Where can you get the beans you're talking about (stage 3 and 5)? This food plot stuff is new to me, so I have a lot to learn. I like the idea of early and late beans, that should work.

Thanks.

·
Registered
17,089 Posts
Originally posted by pinwheel
If you're wanting green soybeans in the fall, why not plant a late maturing bean along with early maturing beans? That's my exact plan next year. Already got a good line on some stage 5 beans to mix with my stage 3 beans. All will be RR so I should be able to spray them once, & be good to go till well into bow season if we get a late frost.
Someone has their thinking cap on. Makes perfect sense.:2thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts