Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Under appreciated
89,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Always a crap shoot with rain this time of the year.

If you can get your seed down while beans are still green but just about to turn, you can release brassica pretty well. Under the canopy, the environment is most and humid, gives smaller seed like that a chance to germinate and if the timing is right, beans will yellow and senesce and brassicas start to take over. I have about 1.5 acres of this and will leave the beans standing. Some of the thin spots got the oats/rye over seed this afternoon, we will see.

I shot a buck in this plot on September 16 and had quite a bit of action from about 5:15 on. These grew with very little rainfall at all after I broadcast them.

Flower Plant Plant community Grass Terrestrial plant
Flower Plant Plant community Grass Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
I had an early plot of Jake soybeans and sorghum that was protected by a solar powered electric fence, not a very big plot and after I took the fence down it was pretty much wiped out in 2 weeks. So last weekend I disced and broadcast some WW and some brassica seeds. I'm not sure if the brassicas will do any good but the WW should be enjoying the rain we're getting right now.

Reactions: 20'

·
Under appreciated
89,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It has been eerily calm these days.

If I would have posted something like this before I would have been lectured on why it looks crappy.

Reactions: Wibb and killmode

·
Under appreciated
89,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The entire field is 30 acres. What I am plotting in the end is about 2 acres all told, mixture of various things and leaving the beans there standing. The rest of the field is going to be harvested..

Reactions: 20'

·
Registered
23,043 Posts
The entire field is 30 acres. What I am plotting in the end is about 2 acres all told, mixture of various things and leaving the beans there standing. The rest of the field is going to be harvested..
That makes sense, but an awesome plan….that clearly worked!

·
Under appreciated
89,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm just hoping it holds some deer late season. I think this plot might be gold in December. Really looking forward to some cold weather hunts down there.

Reactions: letemgrow and 20'
1 - 10 of 10 Posts