Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally, a Children's Book about Bowhunting !

After searching unsuccessfully to locate books suited for introducing his young son to the sport he loves, Indiana bowhunter, Shawn Meyer took matters into his own hands, authoring Conner's Big Hunt, a unique new children's book that aims to generate interest in bowhunting. M.R. James, founder and editor emeritus of Bowhunter magazine writes of Conner's Big Hunt, "Importantly, it's an ideal way for any parent to introduce a child to the excitement and adventure of bowhunting."

Drawing from Meyer's own childhood memories with his father, each page exposes the spirited mind of a child involved in something adventurous and new. He explains, "I wrote this book with several purposes in mind: In addition to sowing the seeds of curiosity in kids, it was my intention to remind parents how immensely special and memorable shared hunting experiences are to children."

Aware that his fellow bowhunters pay attention to detail, Meyer understood the necessity of accuracy and realism. "I wanted to make it clear from the first page that Conner's Big Hunt is for bowhunters, by bowhunters. This is no Bambi." says Meyer. From dew-soaked pants, to noises in the pre-dawn woods, heart-pounding anticipation, a pass-through shot, the bloodstained arrow, the agonizing wait, and the triumphant find, all the familiar ingredients are there, combining to create a realism with which bowhunting dads and moms can happily relate. Meyer sought out accomplished commercial illustrator, Reed Sprunger to bring Conner's story to life with vivid full-page watercolors, over-the-shoulder perspectives, and genuine details.

Conner's Big Hunt, the first in a series of children's books on hunting, has become a useful tool for parents in training the next generation of bowhunters. Woven into the 24-page adventure are subtle lessons on safety, skill, ethics, and old-fashioned values. Parents can download accompanying discussion questions from www.huntwithakid.com to assist them in working through lessons brought out in the book.

With the sport of bowhunting under constant attack, Barry Wensel, author and renowned bowhunter, notes, "Reading Conner's Big Hunt to a child is an excellent way to build a proper foundation on which our hunting heritage depends."

Visit www.huntwithakid.com to learn more or to order a hardcover copy of Conner's Big Hunt as a gift for the young hunter-to-be in your family.

http://www.huntwithakid.com/

·
Registered
640 Posts
Got my copy yesterday. I have to say I am really impressed. Great little story, great pictures. My daughter loves it. It's a little longer than most of her other books, so I was suprised when she sat through the whole thing, paying full attention. I would highly recommend this book for the youngsters.

:eek::wave:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.