Bowhunting Blunders

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by Ozarks-Bowhunter, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Ozarks-Bowhunter

Ozarks-Bowhunter Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2006
    Southern Missouri
    Lets hear your biggest bonehead moves while bowhuntin.

Mine would have to be a few years ago i was hunting sometime the first week of Nov. when a doe came over the hill in a direction i never thought a deer would come from and instead of grabbing my bow i watched her continue on over the hill. I heard something and looked back and seen a 160 class 10 point walking through the only opening i had in that direction at 30 yards. He followed the doe to the top of the hill where they both bed down for the next 2 hours only 70 yards away at eye level. They got up and he went the other way never to be seen by me again.

I learned a lesson on that day and always grab my bow first thing when i see any deer.

2. 1FastCam

1FastCam New Member

Nov 25, 2002
    CT
    Grunt call getting on the wrong side of the string at full draw. Thank God it was made in China.

3. squints1

squints1 New Member

Aug 19, 2008
    Sikeston, MO
    My first year bowhunting, I was maybe 14, I had a little basket rack six point come in to 20 yards. It was a little deer, but to me it was the next world record. I drew back, put my pin on his boiler room and watched my arrow fall well short of the deer. Figured out real quick that in the heat of the moment and due to buck fever, I put my 10 yard pin on him instead of my 30.

4. GTOHunter

GTOHunter Well-Known Member

I set up yesterday evening and put out my decoy,hung up my scent waffers then got in my stand and hunted all evening til last light...when I got down from my stand I had forgot to even knock an arrow in case a Deer came in? :mad2: :stickfight: :scared:

I have forgotten my wrist release before...had to go back and get it,left my arrows/quiver in the plastic case and had to go back to the house and get it also! :eek: :whistle:

5. Prolly my dumbest, I did twice in about e weeks time. Aiming high on deer at 25 with my 20 yard pin, and hitting high right where I aimed. Learned my lesson after loosing those two bucks.

6. dodge

dodge Active Member

Oct 8, 2010
    cedar hill, mo
    i have forgot my tags and not been able to hunt before

7. dpd925

dpd925 Member

Nov 16, 2009
    [rquote=1878754&tid=130854&author=Chad]Prolly my dumbest, I did twice in about e weeks time. Aiming high on deer at 25 with my 20 yard pin, and hitting high right where I aimed. Learned my lesson after loosing those two bucks.[/rquote]

this is what I would do. are you saying not to aim high??

8. ymurf

ymurf Active Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Steelville, Mo.
    Dont have any idea where to start..:rof2:

9. combatmedic

combatmedic Senior Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Boone County
    not tying your climber together....lost the bottom half of my ol`man at 30 feet up.....got another one....climbing all the way up your tree only to realize when u pull your rope up the bow isn`t connected....:cheers:

10. a_ridgway

a_ridgway New Member

May 3, 2010
    Not having the confidence to take the shot. 5 years in a row I had chances at 140 class deer but for this reason or that could never let her fly. 3D has fixed that and now I. Have the confidence to create shots if needed. All I need now is to get those deer to come back.

11. Walking better than a mile to stand to figure out you don't have your release

Learned to hard way not to push deer to quick after a shot.

biggest blunder not clearing out enough shooting lanes and pinwheeling a small sapling you failed to cut right in front of a 170'' vitals

12. txcobowhunter

txcobowhunter Deer Gear Collecter

Oct 5, 2008
    Texas County
    Useing my climber to get all the way up to hunting height, then dropping my quiver full of arrows. I no longer have a climber because of these kind of problems!!!

13. doc316

doc316 New Member

Oct 26, 2010
    drove an hour & a half to get to my brothers fram for a morning hunt with him , got out & opened my bow case = was wifes bow case. we buy differnt brands of cases now.

14. montgohunter

montgohunter New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    St. Charles
    sitting in the stand at 1 o'clock with release off...gloves off...facemask off...scentlok a lil unzipped (it was warm)...and had a mature doe and button step out at 10 yards....would have been my first bow kill! :mad2: but they sniped me and ran off!

15. Nebver used a facemask or gloves to bow hunt, just get 20 foot or higher problem solved. And scent loc, well, sorry to break it to you , but its a hoax. Hunt higher, hunt the wind the best you can, and you will be succesful.
    [rquote=1879252&tid=130854&author=montgohunter]sitting in the stand at 1 o'clock with release off...gloves off...facemask off...scentlok a lil unzipped (it was warm)...and had a mature doe and button step out at 10 yards....would have been my first bow kill! :mad2: but they sniped me and ran off![/rquote]

16. Not with any bow I have owned. Was jusy nerves got the best of me. Now an inch or two maybe, but I'm talkin I aimed 6 inches high, and hit 6 inches high. Check ytour bow, cause mine shoot dead on till about 28 with my 20.
    [rquote=1879172&tid=130854&author=dpd925][rquote=1878754&tid=130854&author=Chad]Prolly my dumbest, I did twice in about e weeks time. Aiming high on deer at 25 with my 20 yard pin, and hitting high right where I aimed. Learned my lesson after loosing those two bucks.[/rquote]

this is what I would do. are you saying not to aim high??[/rquote]

17. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    guess mine would have to be not checking my sites when i got in the tree. really rips a person when you come to full draw on your first buck only to see a stinkin leave handing off your pins. then trying to knock it off with your finger at full draw and knockin your arrow off to start the immense staredown which seemed live forever. of course, he was still my first buck after a short tracking job because i am part of the heckarwe tribe. either that or i'm just that good.:rof2: alright, unlucky deer, i admit it.:cheers:

18. kcgriz

kcgriz New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Wheatland, MO
    I don't have the time to put them all on here. I have made every mistake known to man. Among them, :mad2: forgetting my release, :mad2: misjudging the yardage and :mad2: :mad2: having my poncho wrap around my bottom cam when I drew my bow.:whinging:

19. kc704

kc704 Senior Member

Dec 9, 2004
    Missouri
    Can't say how many times I've dropped something while climbing. Arrows, tree saw, bottom of my climber. Drinks, hand warmers, gloves, you get the picture. And that's just this year. LOL!! But last year I missed a doe only for her to come back and i stuck one right under her spine. Couldn't shake that. Then the other day I missed that doe and then had the other one come within 8 yds, but was too busy posting on MWT so when I got my shot at 31 yds she turned at the last second, but was too late as I had already hit my release. So I shot her in the rear. Had me nervous for a bit, but I have faith that I'd find her. Now I just need to go find my arrows that are M.I.A.

20. wabow

wabow New Member

Oct 27, 2010
    My worst is always being in a hurry to get there then forgetting something. I sit here now making my mental check list and hope I don't forget anything. My Very Biggest mistake I ever made was going in for an afternoon hunt, I climb the tree and start getting settled in. Not 10 yards from the trail I came in on a MONSTER Buck stands looks at me in the tree 50 yards away and slowly slinks away belly crawling away from me. :whinging: My hurry let me walk right past that buck and not even see him. :mad2::whinging: