Bowfishing boat?

Discussion in 'Social Club' started by Woods, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Woods

Woods Cooyon, Back from NOLA

Wondering if anyone here has their boat setup for bow fishing? I'm thinking about getting a setup for myself. Would like to bowfish more often and looks like I need my own boat to do so. No idea how much $$ I'm looking at, but do want a jet. Don't think a prop is going to let me get in the areas I want to get to.

2. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    boy you leave alot of room for guessing there you wanting a boat big or wide i should say for two guys to shoot from? and of course how big of jet?
    new or used?

you could get a good size new to year old boat with a round a 40 jet for some were in the 8500-10500 range

of couse like any thing more details are needed as to what excattly you want

3. Woods

I was thinking a boat big enough for two people to shoot from the bow, but not so big as not to get into the smaller/tighter areas. How big of a jet, jets are new to me, I have no idea. A used boat, in good shape and not fancy, would fit the bill.

Any online links to look at?
  4. huntforfunnfood

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo

these boys know how to make jet boats here

you can also look at wareagle boats, g3 boats, alweld boats, and xpress boats all fine makers of flat bottom jets boats

the big thing to know is jet boats or motors i guess coast more usually a grand more than a prop.
    and it takes more top horse power to equal a prop motor
    jets have alot of pluses to having one but to get top proformace you need a flat botoom boat they don't take big water very well
    it also take alot of balls to run a jet to it limits as well :roll2: you have to keep them on top and when your running the rivers you just keep a wide eye open and never let out of it.

if you get a jet get a mercury they are hands down the best when it comes to jets on props i have other opinions
  5. huntforfunnfood

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    heres a pic of a blazer

i will post some more info when i get home.
    theres alot of pros and cons to a jet to be honest and you have to spend more river time than lake time in my opion to justify a jet

there not very good lake boats but they are river kings
  6. Woods

Thanks for the info, What I have noticed is. Most of the boats setup for bow fishing, have jets. I would probably lean toward a jet and realize the limitations if I try to use it in big water.
  7. Go to and take a look at some the boats on there.

Think you'd have problems with a sucking up weeds and crud. Think if I was going to get a boat strickly for bowfishing I would have a fan mounted on it. Bowfished with a couple guys, Fred and Dave from F&D Archery, from Wisconsin that came down last year and this is there set up. Nothing fancy to look at but it went place and got us out of places that I thought we'd never do, and man did it light up the water.
  8. Also rumor has that they've added float pod's to the rear so it will even run shallower.
  9. huntforfunnfood

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    those boats those boys have with fans are hard core i guess i am just confused as to how they fish they must really be in some weedy stuff to be using a fan i guess

cause with there normal motor and the fan they could by a jet but i guess if its that weedy they would plug a jet

and to be honest with you woods weeds are worst on you if you have a jet
    but jets show there benift with shallows

i am far from going to tell you jet or prop but a jet only really has benifits if your running it wide open or have your boat on plain you will hate a jet just idling around they will get hot and the steering really sucks when idling

a jet is a whole lot different than a prop when driving on a boat a jet can get you hurt if you don't know what your doing any time you back off the gas you basically have no steering you have to be steady or giving it more. it takes some practice to get used to.

its alos not the jet that limits you on the lake but the boat you put the jet on you can get a semi v front and you give up some of the abilty of the jet but gain some handling
    i don't know how good a semi v front would be for bow fishing though
    those boys at blazer make a hell of a boat but anyting more than a small ripple and you will beat your self to death the boat will handle it but you have to be tough.

if you haven't ever been in a jet go find one to ride in before you buy one everyone i have ever know that has been around one either thinks they are the best thing in the world or the worst i don't know any one that just thinks there ok.
  10. If you plan on using it on the river's with little or no vegitation you'd probably be alright. On more open water with a chance of any chop I wouldn't want one, JMHO.
  11. Woods you really don't need much to bowfish. This is one of 5 fish shot that day of that size (25 pounds plus) out of 14ft lake jon boat w/ a 25 hp tiller prop driven motor and hand tiller trolling motor. Did have to put about 4 cinderblocks in the back to help balance it out while both of us were on the deck tho ;). Shot alot of fish out of that boat, now we just use it for duckhunting on the CA's since I moved on up to the 18ft'r.
  12. Well said CP, especially the part of " NOTHING is more important than knowing and understanding the river you plan on running". :cheers:

But I still won't buy a jet :p
  13. It made sense to me Mike and if I lived on/near and fished and ran mostly the rivers I'd probably have a jet as well, but running these bigger lakes and open water the prop is the way to go IMHO. Jet's work fine until you get a little chop on the water and they cavitating and might aswell idle. Now if you really want a ride and don't have to worry what's under the water or how deep it is no matter the bottom then go a boat like Troy's from Missouri River Outfitters airboat :eek:.
  14. Transplanted Hoosier

Transplanted Hoosier New Member

Oct 16, 2002
    Center Punch-
    What kind of boat do you have?
    I have a Bass Tracker pro 18 jet drive and agree with everything you said (it is kinda fun to do a flat 180 at speed though:banana: )

The Tracker mounts the motor inboard, the water intake is recessed into the bottom of the boat, so the only thing below the bottom is the speedometer probe; and I broke that off a few years ago. The Tracker uses an interesting set up, almost like an enclosed prop. A water lily leaf will sure put a catch in your giddie-up.

I take mine to Reelfoot a few time each summer, talk about a lake made for a jet, another nice thing, with no lower unit the wind blows the boat perfectly side ways, if it is blowing along a shore line or lake point it is a great way to cover some water. I don’t think I would want to take mine on Lake Eire, but there isn’t a lake in Missouri I would hesitate to run on.
  15. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    CP the River Rat. Oh, the mental images! :ass:

16. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    Been there, done that....about 2 miles from the ramp on LOZ! Couldn't hardly believe that a passer by had a set in his boat. I could have written him into the family will! :stickfight:

In your instance, undoubtedly it was DOWN stream from the truck. I'd say a mile or two?
  17. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    speaking of boats john, did you end up getting your raised platform you were looking for?
  18. Nope, probably going to go w/ wood and make flush straight across. Just can't justify it right now.
  19. Woods

Lots of good info, THANKS!

I like the ability to get into shallow water. The pic swmo posted with the prop and fan motor setup appears to be the best of both worlds. One question, what the heck is a kicker motor?

*Since I started bow fishing, I haven't touched a fishing pole.
  20. Kicker motor is usually a smaller motor, 9.9 hp or smaller usually, mounted next to the the bigger motor usually for trolling as they don't burn as much gas and operated better at lower idling speeds over a extended period of time. The only reason I can having one if you have a jet and to run rivers is as a back up incase you suck somthing up in the impellar???

It's an addictive sport when you get into them and when the carp and gar start to come up and begin their spawn I'd probably put the rods away as well but I do like to eat some crappie and whitebass ;).