Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what sights you guys have and what pros/cons are associated with them. I am wanting to get a new sight (currently have a the Cobra sidewinder) and want to find one for both 3-D and bowhunting. Hit me with any suggestions! Thanks!!

·
Banned
81,584 Posts
I don't even know what brand site is on my bow,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but I'm sure you'll get showered with sudgestions from some of the accesory minded bow maniacs on here.

:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Well you know what I shoot but I really liked that Viper sight that DSG had on his bow on Sunday. The scope option on it was nice and the pins were really bright.

I would look into a sight with .019 pins for 3-d, especially if they were very bright but would want the option to at least change my 20yd pin to a .029 for hunting season.

·
Registered
12,620 Posts
I bought the Viper Pro Predator also, can be extended out 6" or brought back in to about 3". Options are lenses in 2x,3x,4x and 6x for about $50 and a sun screen for about $20. Has the .019 pins with a 7.25" straight fiber optics which makes for a very bright sight. Can be bought on line for about $100. Can't go wrong with this sight:cheers::cheers:

MoBowman ```--------->

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Originally posted by alwyshntn
Well you know what I shoot but I really liked that Viper sight that DSG had on his bow on Sunday. The scope option on it was nice and the pins were really bright.

I would look into a sight with .019 pins for 3-d, especially if they were very bright but would want the option to at least change my 20yd pin to a .029 for hunting season.
Yes the Predator Pro is a good site. The model I have is being replaced by a fully micro-adjust model that will begin shipping in a couple of weeks. It's gonna be pricey though. To get one set up exactly like mine will be about $240. The new model will also be available with .010 pins which will be great as bright as the pins are!

Spot-Hogg also makes an awsome site and it has the option of putting the glass in as well. It's a little more pricey than the Viper though.

The Viper comes in camo too which is cool! The Spot-hogg doesn't.

There are several other good ones out there, depends on what you wanna spend.

*** As a side note, my Predator Pro Camo model with (5) .019 pins (it comes with 4) and the "light" add on, as well as a 4X glass is for sale. I'll take $165 for it, I've got a little over $200 in it. I'll even install fresh fiber-optics in it. It's only about three months old and is just like new.

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
All of the sights listed above will work for hunting and 3-d. I take my hunting sight (CJ Dead Nuts) off and don't change anything on my bow and use a Toxonics Naildriver with an Extreme scope w/4x lens. I don't have to do anything to my bow in the fall except put my old sight back on. I haven't shot 3-d in a couple of seasons because of my young boys (5 & 7) playing in baseball tournaments and things, but this year I plan on taking them to the 3-d tournaments with me.

Are you wanting to get a new sight because you think you might want to try shooting with a lens? If so, you probably need to make sure you like shooting with a lens and I would make sure you try some different powers and clarifiers. I definitely wouldn't go with anything more than a 4x for 3-d. If you go higher than 4x it could be hard to tell where on the target you are aiming. Another thing to consider is that you may need to install a peep with a clarifier to see clearly. Some people need them and some people don't. Most of my buddies who have never shot a bow with a lensed scope say that they don't like it. They claim that it is hard to tell where they are shooting a 3-d animal, but could see it helping them shoot spots. It definitely takes a little while to get used to. It also amplifies your shake of your bow hand if you have any. If you don't want to use a lens or want smaller diameter pins, I don't see the advantage of getting a new sight. The Cobra Sidewinder seems to be a really bright sight with a round pin guard and is very easily adjustable. Another thing you may have to consider is that you may get moved out of a hunters class if you shoot with a lens. Make sure you check the different rules of the Clubs you shoot and see what the restrictions are. Where I shoot that would put you in the Unlimited class with the boys that shoot the long stabilizers and sliders and move you back a little bit. I didn't mean to go on and on, but want to make sure you take these things into consideration before you buy something you may not like.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the input guys!!:eek:

I am just looking for an easier micro-adjustable sight, big key with small diameter pins and of course they need to be bright if i am going to drop some $$$ into them. My current sidewinder is micro-adjustable, but hard to use. The pins also "blur" making it hard to pin-point my aim. So i would definately say that it is between the Spott-hoggs and the Xtreme sights. The lens is just an added bonus to me, not a necessity.

Again i really appreciate the input and feel free to keep em coming!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I really like the Spott Hoggs but I just can't justify spending that kind of jack, when I know I could get a quality sight cheaper. I checked out Extreme's web site at www.extremearchery.com and I liked the Sniper Model 400. You could get the black for $89.95 or the camo for $99.95. You could also pick .19 diameter pins of which you get five of and add a lens or light if you so desired later. If you like the longer bar instead of the mounting plate, which I have tried for hunting and thought it got in the way and added weight, you could go with the Model 500 or try the Copper John Pro III for $99.95 @ Bass Pro. It also comes with five .19 pins and accepts a light, but doesn't have a lens available.

One of my former players (I am a coach) has the Model 400 with .19 pins and he uses it to shoot 3-d pop-up tournaments and hunt and he loves it.

Good Luck!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.