Bow sights

Discussion in 'Archery Equipment' started by D.R.N.18, Feb 14, 2006.

1. D.R.N.18

D.R.N.18 New Member

Feb 13, 2006
    I was wondering what sights you guys have and what pros/cons are associated with them. I am wanting to get a new sight (currently have a the Cobra sidewinder) and want to find one for both 3-D and bowhunting. Hit me with any suggestions! Thanks!!

2. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

I don't even know what brand site is on my bow,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but I'm sure you'll get showered with sudgestions from some of the accesory minded bow maniacs on here.

:cheers::cheers:

3. Well you know what I shoot but I really liked that Viper sight that DSG had on his bow on Sunday. The scope option on it was nice and the pins were really bright.

I would look into a sight with .019 pins for 3-d, especially if they were very bright but would want the option to at least change my 20yd pin to a .029 for hunting season.

4. MoBowman

MoBowman New Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    I bought the Viper Pro Predator also, can be extended out 6" or brought back in to about 3". Options are lenses in 2x,3x,4x and 6x for about $50 and a sun screen for about $20. Has the .019 pins with a 7.25" straight fiber optics which makes for a very bright sight. Can be bought on line for about $100. Can't go wrong with this sight:cheers::cheers:

MoBowman ```--------->

5. I am going to have to go with the Spot-Hogg Hogg-It sight. It is absolutely great. It has all the precise adjustments you could want, durable as all get out, and has many options to add on if you so desire. In my opinion, it is the best all around pin sight on the market.:eek:

6. Hatch

Hatch New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    OFallon MO
    Copper John Dead Nutz Sights $70.00

7. Gutpile

Gutpile Cooler Semi-Elitist

Aug 22, 2003
    St. Charles
    I will take a $30 3 pin cobra or tru glo from wally world anyday....no sweat

8. membergone

membergone New Member

Jan 17, 2004

Yes the Predator Pro is a good site. The model I have is being replaced by a fully micro-adjust model that will begin shipping in a couple of weeks. It's gonna be pricey though. To get one set up exactly like mine will be about $240. The new model will also be available with .010 pins which will be great as bright as the pins are!

Spot-Hogg also makes an awsome site and it has the option of putting the glass in as well. It's a little more pricey than the Viper though.

The Viper comes in camo too which is cool! The Spot-hogg doesn't.

There are several other good ones out there, depends on what you wanna spend.

*** As a side note, my Predator Pro Camo model with (5) .019 pins (it comes with 4) and the "light" add on, as well as a 4X glass is for sale. I'll take $165 for it, I've got a little over $200 in it. I'll even install fresh fiber-optics in it. It's only about three months old and is just like new.

:cheers:

9. D.R.N.18

D.R.N.18 New Member

Feb 13, 2006
    D.S.G- Are you gonna be at either the Marshall or California shoot? I would definately like to look at you set up a little closer.

10. membergone

membergone New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    DRN.......Yes, I am gonna be at the Marshall shoot. Be glad to have ya take a closer look. I prolly won't replace the fiber-optics before then but other than that it'll be good as new.

:)

11. D.R.N.18

D.R.N.18 New Member

Feb 13, 2006
    Sounds great to me!!! Hope to see you (among alot of others) there!

12. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

I use the 2 in me head!!!! 20-15 after Lasik surgery even!!! Just kinda look down the arrah, pick a spot!!!!hehehe

13. ladeerman

ladeerman Active Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Laccassine, LA
    Spot hog's "Hoggit"...The best sight I've ever shot. Small diameter pins, micro adjustment, all aluminum, but a little bit $$$$, around $150 I think. I love it!!

14. Landlover

Landlover Active Member

Jan 10, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    All of the sights listed above will work for hunting and 3-d. I take my hunting sight (CJ Dead Nuts) off and don't change anything on my bow and use a Toxonics Naildriver with an Extreme scope w/4x lens. I don't have to do anything to my bow in the fall except put my old sight back on. I haven't shot 3-d in a couple of seasons because of my young boys (5 & 7) playing in baseball tournaments and things, but this year I plan on taking them to the 3-d tournaments with me.

Are you wanting to get a new sight because you think you might want to try shooting with a lens? If so, you probably need to make sure you like shooting with a lens and I would make sure you try some different powers and clarifiers. I definitely wouldn't go with anything more than a 4x for 3-d. If you go higher than 4x it could be hard to tell where on the target you are aiming. Another thing to consider is that you may need to install a peep with a clarifier to see clearly. Some people need them and some people don't. Most of my buddies who have never shot a bow with a lensed scope say that they don't like it. They claim that it is hard to tell where they are shooting a 3-d animal, but could see it helping them shoot spots. It definitely takes a little while to get used to. It also amplifies your shake of your bow hand if you have any. If you don't want to use a lens or want smaller diameter pins, I don't see the advantage of getting a new sight. The Cobra Sidewinder seems to be a really bright sight with a round pin guard and is very easily adjustable. Another thing you may have to consider is that you may get moved out of a hunters class if you shoot with a lens. Make sure you check the different rules of the Clubs you shoot and see what the restrictions are. Where I shoot that would put you in the Unlimited class with the boys that shoot the long stabilizers and sliders and move you back a little bit. I didn't mean to go on and on, but want to make sure you take these things into consideration before you buy something you may not like.

15. D.R.N.18

D.R.N.18 New Member

Feb 13, 2006
    Thanks for all the input guys!!:eek:

I am just looking for an easier micro-adjustable sight, big key with small diameter pins and of course they need to be bright if i am going to drop some $$$ into them. My current sidewinder is micro-adjustable, but hard to use. The pins also "blur" making it hard to pin-point my aim. So i would definately say that it is between the Spott-hoggs and the Xtreme sights. The lens is just an added bonus to me, not a necessity.

Again i really appreciate the input and feel free to keep em coming!

16. Landlover

Landlover Active Member

Jan 10, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    I really like the Spott Hoggs but I just can't justify spending that kind of jack, when I know I could get a quality sight cheaper. I checked out Extreme's web site at www.extremearchery.com and I liked the Sniper Model 400. You could get the black for $89.95 or the camo for $99.95. You could also pick .19 diameter pins of which you get five of and add a lens or light if you so desired later. If you like the longer bar instead of the mounting plate, which I have tried for hunting and thought it got in the way and added weight, you could go with the Model 500 or try the Copper John Pro III for $99.95 @ Bass Pro. It also comes with five .19 pins and accepts a light, but doesn't have a lens available.

One of my former players (I am a coach) has the Model 400 with .19 pins and he uses it to shoot 3-d pop-up tournaments and hunt and he loves it.

Good Luck!