Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to ask whether the individuals who archery hunt for turkeys aim for the head or vital organs? If the head, you have more money than me cause I hate losing $20 arrows. But if you aim for the body, why are you willing to possibly loose so much meat to get one?

So I have had the luck to have taken several turkeys with my bow. It's a challenge to get one, let alone draw on a leery eyed turkey. Unless I use my archery tag, I don't expect to ever go out for turkeys with archery equipment until I'm rich enough to buy separate broad heads and aim for the head and willing to loose an arrow most of the time. I just don't like the idea of losing arrows to shoot the head and any other vitals waste too much meat for my liken. Too many times I have had to cut away 1/2 of one breast because of damage caused by the broad head. Anyone else make this decision or aim I just a crappy aim or like my meat too much?

· Registered
33,467 Posts
Wait on a good broadside shot when they're not strutting and there shouldn't be much meat loss. I want a good head on shot opp one of these years to see if I can decap one.:D

· Registered
21,512 Posts
Some states allow Rifles and they lose very little meat. I get more upset when all is cut out is Breast.

My wife fries the Breast and Thighs. Rest goes in Dumplings. Get 7 or 8 meals out of a Turkey.

oneshot

:D They still let the Big Grin have the bones.

1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just don't see any turkey being shot with a broad head in the vitals not damaging some breast meat. Seems like if you hit high you don't get your turkey, shoot low you damage a lot of breast, shot dead on and you may get lucky to not damage much. Angle of shot plays a big factor in amount of breast meat damaged too. Flat terrain and you may get lucky.

· Mountain lion hunter
28,420 Posts
I just don't see any turkey being shot with a broad head in the vitals not damaging some breast meat. Seems like if you hit high you don't get your turkey, shoot low you damage a lot of breast, shot dead on and you may get lucky to not damage much. Angle of shot plays a big factor in amount of breast meat damaged too. Flat terrain and you may get lucky.
I shot 2 last week and lost zero to Broadhead damage unless you eat the @ss. Sent down the throat on a facing shot

I am goin with you are a crappy aim

· Banned
81,617 Posts
I seldom get much meat loss with a broadhead.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.