Bow hunting on the ground tips!

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by Jr.Woodchuck, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Just trying to learn about bow hunting. Any of you guys or gals on here have any tips on hunting on the ground?:cheers:

2. chuck88

chuck88 New Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Fulton MO
    sit still, watch the wind, set up in cover.

3. txcobowhunter

txcobowhunter Deer Gear Collecter

Oct 5, 2008
    Texas County
    Don't sit where a tree will block your drawing motion. (for me it's on the right side), My one and only chance at a deer on the ground was ruined because I couldn't come to full draw.

4. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Use natural cover to build you a ground blind if you don't own a pop up blind. Keep the area at your feet clear for movement and make sure you have enough room to draw your bow in all directions. Keep movement to a bare minimum...those big brown eyes see everything. If you do have to move do it in slow motion.

Three words....Camo, Camo and Camo. Blend in with your surroundings.

5. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
    I opened this up looking for tips.

I don't hunt too much from the ground usually, but may have to this year. I try to find an area in the woods or near a draw with the wind in my favor overlooking a funnel, several trails or food source (acorns or coming into a food plot). Sometimes have used a brushed in blind or brushpile. Good luck.

6. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    Always watch your movement everything in very Slow Mo.Keep your eyes open for the least little movement.If you spot Game first at a distace you can usually pull off a shot with any weapon.

I use to set on the Back Side of Trees let Deer pass,get a quartering away shot with my Recurve,this is while I was smoking Heavy still would pull it off often.

oneshot
    :D The Big Grin just finds a Green Leaf.

7. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Keep the back windows closed and resist temptation to have them open. You will be silhouetted with the quickness if not.

Practice shooting from it too... it can be decieving shooting out of ground blind windows.

8. wabow

wabow New Member

Oct 27, 2010
    If you can find 2 ceder trees growing close together with branches from each tree touching they make great blinds. Don't try to draw your bow unless the deer has it's head down or behind something and draw slow.

9. Take a shower with dirt soap. SMELL SMELL SMELL! Put your clothes in a plastic bin with cedar branches the night before. Brush your teeth...on the ground, smell is EVERYTHING.

10. Hideandwatch

Hideandwatch New Member

At last light if your in a ground blind, get close to the window so when you draw you can see your pins. It gets darker quiker in the blind than in a tree. The last few minutes I kneel close to the window.:cheers:

11. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    mexico,mo.
    love it on the ground.look for small ditches where you just sit in,which will give you cover to move up and down to extend your range and generally they are damp where covers your noise to:cheers: also like large trees in front of me.that way i can when i see him coming i have a whole 360 to work with plus the larger the tree the more it covers you.full draw when he walks by:cheers:.just make sure you clean all the leaves all the way around the tree