Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i shot a very large doe on howell island on saturday12-26 and it went 200 yrds easy. When i looked at the heart there was a 3blade hole right through it, no lung hit as my shot was from the ground. I couldnt believe such a lethal hit went so far . We shot four that day three of them had heart damage one went only 10 feet and the other about 40 yards the one that went ten feet was a small yearling 45 pounds that just goes to show the larger the animal the more resiliance they have by the way the blood trail was not easy to follow on that 200 yrd run and there was snow on the ground. Her arm pits were filled with blood when i skinned her down. Has any one else seen a fatly hit animal go unussually far? Maybe because i was onlt 5 feet away on the ground when i shot her she probably seen me as she ran by.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
that title made me think someone was clamming to have shot one at 200yd.
My son shot one with a gun in the heart and it ran 150yd.
they are tough animals

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I shot a doe last year with my ML at 235 yds clipped 1 lung an split 1 side of the heart and she ran for 1/4 mile bfore she fell and 1/2 hour later I went up got he truck, drove to the other side of the mile and into the back side of the field, pulled up to the animal and up she god runs 50 yds and faceplants in the dirt!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
[rquote=1534269&tid=106906&author=gar]i shot a very large doe on howell island on saturday12-26 and it went 200 yrds easy. When i looked at the heart there was a 3blade hole right through it, no lung hit as my shot was from the ground. I couldnt believe such a lethal hit went so far . We shot four that day three of them had heart damage one went only 10 feet and the other about 40 yards the one that went ten feet was a small yearling 45 pounds that just goes to show the larger the animal the more resiliance they have by the way the blood trail was not easy to follow on that 200 yrd run and there was snow on the ground. Her arm pits were filled with blood when i skinned her down. Has any one else seen a fatly hit animal go unussually far? Maybe because i was onlt 5 feet away on the ground when i shot her she probably seen me as she ran by.[/rquote]
was it a shavin sharp broadhead? Heart shot deer rarely make it out if sight.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Olympic athletes run 100 yards in about 10-11 seconds. the slowest of deer is at least that fast so 200 yards in 20-30 seconds is very feasible. so 200 isn't really that far when you break it down.

·
2,842 Posts
Der can make it for 150 yards+ with no blood. Its based on how fast they can run, takes them a mere seconds to cover 200 yards. Pure fear and adrenalin. I see 200 yards beliveable. Dad shot the heart out of one with a slug gun, ran 100+yards...no heart at all. Still had lungs moving air

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
It depends on the blade sharpness, terrain obstacles, and tenacity of the individual deer . They can go along way in flatter, open terrain vs. thick cover or up any hilly terrain.
Blade sharpness is a big factor.

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
Deer can just do stuff that is humanly impossible.:whistle:

·
CROSSBOW HATER!
48,418 Posts
[rquote=1534659&tid=106906&author=JackJr]Deer can just do stuff that is humanly impossible.:whistle:[/rquote]

you are absolutely right, nothing they do really suprises me anymore! except when the actually walk by me:D

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
[rquote=1534570&tid=106906&author=Gakic24]I very seriously doubt it ran 200 yards... All that zig-zagging can be decieving...

just sayin[/rquote]

How in the heck do you know it didn't run 200 yards? Were you there? If I'm taking your post wrong, forgive me. But, if I'm not, like already asked, were you there?

My brother shot one in the heart earlier this year square in the heart with a four blade rage and it ran in a straight line for 200 yards. That's how far our stand is from the fence and when we found it, it was laying right by the fence. So yeah, it can definitely happen.

·
Registered
961 Posts
[rquote=1534269&tid=106906&author=gar]i shot a very large doe on howell island on saturday12-26 and it went 200 yrds easy. When i looked at the heart there was a 3blade hole right through it, no lung hit as my shot was from the ground. I couldnt believe such a lethal hit went so far . We shot four that day three of them had heart damage one went only 10 feet and the other about 40 yards the one that went ten feet was a small yearling 45 pounds that just goes to show the larger the animal the more resiliance they have by the way the blood trail was not easy to follow on that 200 yrd run and there was snow on the ground. Her arm pits were filled with blood when i skinned her down. Has any one else seen a fatly hit animal go unussually far? Maybe because i was onlt 5 feet away on the ground when i shot her she probably seen me as she ran by.[/rquote]

Nothing amazes me any more. I have done that in the past, and I think that heart shooting a deer comes from doing a lot of 3-Di shoots... Which is not a bad thing... How ever I will tell you that for the last 10-15 years I have moved back about 4-5 inches and up from that spot on a Real Deer!!! Knock their Air out from them on a double lung and most don't go 30-50 yards:woot::woot: and I did say Most... And yes I have had a deer go 200yards on a heart shot, Plan and simple it amazes me to see this and I am 56... Aim for their Lungs and hopefully they won't go that far. Just my 2

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,469 Posts
[rquote=1534659&tid=106906&author=JackJr]Deer can just do stuff that is humanly impossible.:whistle:[/rquote]

Yes sir, called a will to live. Seen em do some amazing things over the years.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
They sure are some tough critters. I have no doubt your deer ran 200 yards. Even if the trail did do a bunch of zig zagging it would still be 200 yards, heck it could make a big circle and fall right where you shot it and still have went 200 yards. Good job. Sounds like you all had a pretty good day.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i did mention that the doe ran by me at 6 feet or so i didnt have time to use my peep it was point and shoot amassed myself at the heart shot. The double bubble, as we call it definitely puts them down quicker. I was suprised by the small amount of blood there was to follow. A 123.5 inch buck i shot from a tree stand last year only went 40 yrds down hill w double lung hit not to metion the lungs are a larger target.

·
PURE KILLER
38,024 Posts
tough ole doe.prolly running like her tail was on fire:cheers:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.