Featured Boone County Public Land

Discussion in 'Whitetails General' started by mmwat, May 14, 2018 at 3:39 PM.

1. mmwat

mmwat New Member

Monday
    Hey Everyone,

This is my first time posting on this forum. Do to a recent trip out west I have decided to take up hunting again. I went as a kid through high school in Howard and Cooper Counties but quit when I went to college. I have lost access to the private land I hunted on when I was younger, so I was wondering if anyone had any public land recommendations for the deer firearms portion this fall? I would like to get an early start on planning and scouting since public land during rifle season seems to be notorious for large crowds.

Opening weekend I plan on going to Marion County with my father in law, but after that, I would like to go somewhere locally. Without any actual knowledge of the area, it seems like the Cedar Creek region of Mark Twain would be someplace I could trek into and avoid having too much pressure from other hunters?

So if anyone has any other recommendations or experience with the Cedar Creek region of Mark Twain let me know. I'm excited to rejoin the Missouri Hunting community.

2. deep woods goat hunter

deep woods goat hunter Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    I would recommend sitting out pumpkin season and investing in a bow if you are limited to hunting public ground.

3. mmwat

mmwat New Member

Monday
    Probably the right choice. I've just got a new rifle so I'm interested in getting something in Missouri with it since it will be a while before I have the cash to go elsewhere. Hopefully, I'll be able to get something on my Father In-laws land.

Crappie likes this.
  4. reitzs

reitzs Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Columbia
    Cedar Creek area is probably a good place to start. I think those hiking trails get used a lot so I would look for a spot away from those...or at least with a thick, iniviting barrier between.

5. t-tomshooter

t-tomshooter Senior Member

Apr 17, 2010
    deer county
    man if you went to high school there id say there are people there that would let you hunt, just do a little visiting! id like to here the wester hunt story asap, good luck man

6. mmwat

mmwat New Member

Monday
    That’s kind of my plan, I enjoy hiking so I’m going to start scouting the area and see if I can find some secluded spots. I’m going to start at the region close to Columbia, which may be a mistake, but my friends in Callaway County said that the larger area over there has the camp ground and draws more hunters.

7. mmwat

mmwat New Member

Monday
    The man that owned the land I went on in Cooper County died, and my brother sold his property. I may try reaching out to some friends that own land and see what happens.

Also, unfortunately no real hunting story. I just did some scouting and long range shooting with a family member in Colorado. It did get me exited about the prospect of going back out for an elk hunt with him.

deep woods goat hunter and EZRA like this.
  8. deep woods goat hunter

Jul 6, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    Rifles are cool to some people, once you shove an arrow through a decent buck or even a doe to get you started, you will FEEL why some folks don’t bother gun hunting.

Crappie likes this.
  9. Slicktrick47

Slicktrick47 Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Consider going down to the new MDC office south of Columbia. You will find all kinds of hunting locations and maps. They have a ton of information I believe would help you. I moved to Missouri in 1993. Until I established some relationships with private landowners I spent many a day on the public areas. Some have good hunting and many have great fishing spots.

10. mmwat

mmwat New Member

Monday
    Thanks, that’s certainly on my to-do list. I’m going to get information for three creeks from MDC and information on Mark Twain from the Forest service. I’m also going to make an effort to befriend some local landowners or reconnect with friends from Howard County. Either way I’m looking forward to scouting some of the larger public lands in Mid-Missouri.

11. deep woods goat hunter

Jul 6, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    I’ve got a buddy that killed a really nice buck with bow In Early October on 3 creeks in 2012 or 13. He lives out of state now. I’ve hunted there myself a couple times and seen deer every sit.

12. mmwat

mmwat New Member

Monday
    Yeah, I've heard good things about the area for both deer and turkey. I would really like to bow hunt this year too, but there's no way I can make the September season work, it's when I'm busiest with work.

13. deep woods goat hunter

Jul 6, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    I would be much more worried about the last two weeks of October and first two weeks of november

14. mmwat

mmwat New Member

Monday
    The second week of November is when my work will die down, unfortunately.