Bone arrowhead

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by Mailman, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Found a deer leg bone in the woods on my place. Brought it home and transformed it into a fairly sharp broad head. Just short of 2 inches long and 7/8 inches wide. Weighs 44.2 grains. With it on the right arrow I'm pretty sure it will result in a pass through on a deer. 20180413_212528-1.jpg 20180413_212449-1.jpg

BrewMo, 421sd, bverboy and 1 other person like this.
  2. CuivreDog2

CuivreDog2 Addicted Habitat Junkie

Mar 27, 2010
    Lincoln County, MO
    Strong work as usual MM - now go kill sumptin' with all these nice goodies you're making and you'll be the man! :bow:

3. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo

That's the plan for this fall.

With no meat in the freezer it makes a man hungry for even a doe.

smilie shooting tradbow.gif

4. DCSarchette

DCSarchette Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2016
    Bland, Mo.
    That looks pretty damn cool, may you stain it red, and find it the other side of your target this fall.

Lazarus likes this.
  5. STTH

STTH Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Turd Crick North
    Just wondering how well it would fly at that light weight of tip on the front? Looks nice.:tup:

6. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Honestly....I did a test last year with regular flint tips, store bought cut on contact, bone like this one and even a gar scale tip. At 15 yards they all flew the same through the air but penetration was the difference. One of our outstanding members gave me a little trad tip on this problem. Wrap some small gauge wire just above the tip to give it some more weight which gives it more kinetic energy. Problem solved!

STTH likes this.
  7. Lazarus

Lazarus Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2014
    Needmore, serious
    Good stuff mailman. I wanna see you kill something with this stuff. If you don't have the targets in Morgan county this fall let me know, I imagine I could sit you down within 15 yards of a target in pretty short order.

DCSarchette likes this.
  8. tinhorn

tinhorn Member

Jun 29, 2016
    Missouri
    I wonder if it's sharp enough? I understood that a real sharp edge causes the cut to keep bleeding and a dull cut causes it to clot faster...

but it sure look's good

9. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    What was the process for working it up? Why only 7/8”?

10. CRE10

CRE10 No to Drugs Yes to Hugs

Nov 18, 2013
    In a barn
    The proof will be in the pudding after a kill. Good luck Mailman!

11. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Sorry for the late answer Paul. I was out doing some volunteer work at the Independence Bowhunters range clean up today. It was at the Landahl Archery Range just north of Blue Springs. New target butts and repaired butts and all new targets faces on all of them. Its the least I can do for the use of the range.

I cut the biggest part of the leg bone that I could find that was fairly flat into a piece I could cut down close to an arrow head shape with a jig saw. My belt sander was then used to get a uniformed thickness. Deer leg bones are hollow so the usable part of the bone is fairly thin. Once I got the outline sanded close to the finished shape I took a file to finish out the bevel of the blade edge. Finished up the sharpening using a whetstone. Buffing wheel on my dremel with some jewelers polishing compound I put some shine on the finished product.
    To answer your question on the width choice the bones I had picked up were really weathered and had cracks running the full length of the leg bone. I could of made the arrow head longer but what surface I had to work with was very narrow so this is the width it turned out to be. If a person looked back in history he would find that most hunting tips the Indians used were very narrow and that was to create a pass through. Most were shot with low poundage bows. Using wider blades they wouldn't have as much penetration. I would much prefer a narrow blade and a pass through hit over a wide blade that only penetrated partially into the body cavity of a deer.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    STTH likes this.
  12. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    As for its sharpness.....It drew my blood when it slipped and poked my finger with the tip.:banging:

13. DoubleLiver

DoubleLiver Gentry County, NE KS

Aug 20, 2015
    Dakota County, MN
    OK. That is cool. Make so i can screw it into my arrow and i will use it.

14. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    I think 3 rivers sells a flint tipped insert with screw in threads and its not cheap.