Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Under appreciated
92,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Last year I regularly saw a bobcat and two kittens. This year looks like the same one with three youngns.

Reactions: pinwheel

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
73,805 Posts
Very cool, hope they don't hunt you down and kill you. :D

·
Under appreciated
92,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think the bobcats are exploding in my area. I'm sure it isnt helping the turkey population. I cannot claim causation and correlation but turkey numbers have gone down at the same time we are seeing a lot more bobcats.

I may try my hand at trapping one of them this year and would appreciate any advice here. I will say that the neighbor that pastures cattle on us has a couple of healers that wander through on occasion. They do not chase deer and are no concern of mine but I would hate to get one in a leghold so I'll need to be careful about that.

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
73,805 Posts
I think the bobcats are exploding in my area. I'm sure it isnt helping the turkey population. I cannot claim causation and correlation but turkey numbers have gone down at the same time we are seeing a lot more bobcats.

I may try my hand at trapping one of them this year and would appreciate any advice here. I will say that the neighbor that pastures cattle on us has a couple of healers that wander through on occasion. They do not chase deer and are no concern of mine but I would hate to get one in a leghold so I'll need to be careful about that.
I can ask my Friend Chris about trapping bobbies, he seems to be pretty dammm good at it.

Reactions: rat

·
Under appreciated
92,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can ask my Friend Chris about trapping bobbies, he seems to be pretty dammm good at it.
Thanks.

And btw, this is about 15yds from one of the stands that I mostly archery hunt. You can see that there is no reason to take a rifle OR a crossbow in my mind. I just cannot shoot through that stuff farther than about 30yds at any point. That is a logging trail that is used a LOT for transitioning from bedding areas to plots. I see a ton of deer in that secluded spot.

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
73,805 Posts
You think getting a bow/xbow moved and sighted in on a deer is tough, bobcats SEE everything. :D

Reactions: DPx2 and rat

·
Super Moderator
26,896 Posts
seems pretty senseless an archery hunter can't zip and arrow through them at any point in during the season! that includes able bodied xgun hunters hunting during the archery season as well!

·
Under appreciated
92,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You think getting a bow/xbow moved and sighted in on a deer is tough, bobcats SEE everything. :D
I sat one afternoon with the crossbow on a large open field out of a shooting house. I had no illusions that I would kill a deer in that situation but wanted to see how much of a PITA the xgun would be to tote around.
I saw a bobcat (might be this same one) with two kittens and started squeaking to her with crow call I can make sound like a distress call. She came in on a string but came no closer than 60yds before she got nervous about running out of cover. I'm not letting a bolt fly at 60yds so I did without but it was a neat encounter.

Reactions: venatic

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
My son killed one with his bow less than 10 yards.
I had one about 15 feet from the tree I was in, I barely made the tiniest movement and it was off like a prom dress.
Rat probably has a lot of rodents around.

Might be worth a rabbit hunt.

·
Under appreciated
92,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Should have put this in the trapping section. Open to advice on trapping strategies and equipment.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
seems pretty senseless an archery hunter can't zip and arrow through them at any point in during the season! that includes able bodied xgun hunters hunting during the archery season as well!
Bobcat are classified as furbearers and because of the value of their hide can only be hunted during the furbearers season.

·
King of Callaway
43,225 Posts
Should have put this in the trapping section. Open to advice on trapping strategies and equipment.
Going to be hard with dogs around, but check out Fur Fish and Game, there will be all kinds of things there, knowing that they are there shouldn't be to hard to catch a cubby set with an attractor hung over it should do. Knowing there is a female there the tom will be by at some point, but he likely might only come by once the whole season.

·
Registered
70,623 Posts
5 or 6 years ago cats moved in.....Turkey population went down to almost zero. Now hardly any cats on camera and have a couple of pics of hens. Hopefully this coming spring I might have a hatch.😊

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,695 Posts
I'm by no means an expert, but I'd gladly loan you a few setups to try trapping them with & show you what worked for me. My main reason for trapping them, was to get a couple for taxidermy. Was able to achieve that last winter, so I doubt I work very hard at it this year.

·
Under appreciated
92,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm by no means an expert, but I'd gladly loan you a few setups to try trapping them with & show you what worked for me. My main reason for trapping them, was to get a couple for taxidermy. Was able to achieve that last winter, so I doubt I work very hard at it this year.
Same reason, I want one to mount. Thanks, may reach out to you pinwheel.

Reactions: pinwheel
1 - 20 of 26 Posts