Bobcat scream

Discussion in 'Predators' started by Steelman, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Steelman

Steelman Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2009
    I was hunting Sunday morning and about an hour after daylight, I heard what sounded like a woman screaming, 4 times, then a pause, then 3 more. Couldn't have been more than 50-70 yards away. Only the second time I've ever heard one scream like that. I stopped hunting early and went and checked my coyote sets to see if I had one trapped but no luck.
    Over Xmas, I will put out 2-3 Bobcat sets with visual attractants as well as gland lure and meat. I've trapped 6 bobbies in the last 4 years at this farm.
    Matthew83 and DougC like this.
  2. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    Any chance it's a Mt Lion???

MAJORTOM Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2006
    At work as usual
    First time I heard one scream like that me and a couple buddies were camping on PL and hunting. It was well after dark when it screamed. We had never heard one before and scared the crap out of us. We all grabbed our guns and were in full defense mode! It was pretty funny after the fact!
  4. GPS

GPS Member

Nov 18, 2013
    Those that haven't heard, google it. It's sic.
  5. Eric Rudolf

Eric Rudolf Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2013
    Screech owl
    Mailman and 421sd like this.
  6. Dafish

Dafish Senior Member

Nov 24, 2010
    St. Peters
    While walking too my stand one morning, 2 of them got into a fight what sounded like 75 yards in front of me. That'll make the hair stand up....
  7. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    First time I heard one I was prolly 11, tree rat hunting below the house by myself, heard the loudest scream then another then another .I wanted to run but didn't which way to run.

Then I seen the biggest meanest thing in the woods when it came out of a creek bank and let out another scream..

I knew which way to run then and by golly I took off like lightning :D
    stickbow@73 likes this.
  8. Steelman

Steelman Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2009
    I suppose it could have been but we've never had any trail cam pics of one and we have 6 cams out on 130 acres, so I'm pretty certain it was a bobcat.
  9. ducksNbucks

ducksNbucks Senior Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Lathrop, MO
    Heard one south of Sedalia once. Luckily me and friend we're already back at the truck well before dark cutting up deer. Never heard one while actually in the timber, and don't really want to.
  10. GTOHunter

GTOHunter Well-Known Member

I have a few Bobcat sounds on my FoxPro "Shockwave" Caller....wish I had more to draw in a Bobcat! :thinking:

They do sound pretty scary when Your out in the middle of no where by Yourself. :scared:
  11. leasburg

leasburg Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2007
    South County MO
    probably someone's wife
    gurgalunas likes this.
  12. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008

Terry....I assume you’ve heard a bobcat scream before? Nothing like a mountain lion imho. Cool sound....kill em!!
  13. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008

Bobcat sound nothing like a screech owl to me.

You guys ever heard a red fox raising.
  14. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    I can't say that I have. I've trapped and called several bobcats over the years so I know we have a huntable population on our farm. I've listened to You Tube vids of Bobcats but I'm sure it's nothing like experiencing it in person.
  15. Bootheel Boy

Bootheel Boy Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Only time I ever heard a bobcat it sounded like a baby crying. Actually got out of my stand and went looking for it. I have heard a red fox screech. Extremely loud and went on for minutes. They say people go to the woods for peace and quiet. The woods aren't always quiet and sometimes can be down right loud.
    WBF likes this.
  16. Dafish

Dafish Senior Member

Nov 24, 2010
    St. Peters
    Yes I have, right in my back yard, had the windows open and it woke me up...
    raycountyhunt likes this.
  17. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Was running my trap line in highschool, was headed up to check a set when I tripped and busted the flashlight, one screamed as I was recovering. I was late to school that morning, no way I was going up that bluff in the dark.
  18. 421sd

421sd Part-time malcontent

Dec 23, 2012
    Ozarks Plateau

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    Matthew83 and fishshooter like this.
  19. huntnfool

huntnfool Active Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Central Mo
    Correct. Screech owl