bobcat encounter

Discussion in 'Predators' started by gentleben, Nov 8, 2010.

1. gentleben

gentleben Active Member

Sep 9, 2010
    STL
    No pics (sorry), but I can't believe I almost forgot to share this story with you. I was up in NE Macon county last weekend bowhunting. Left last night, but before I did my cousin (who lives there) asked me if I heard about the bobcat story yet.

Okay, first of all, this is a working farm. Tons of acreage and busy, busy, busy. My great uncle and aunt live there, so does my cousin. 2 houses on the property about 400 yds apart, machine sheds, the whole 9 yards. We had 6 of us up there hunting, another uncle up there just kind of hanging out after having surgery on his elbow, i think 6 dogs, a 7 year old boy and 16 year old girl (kids of 2 of the hunters) and then my great uncle and cousin working. People, machinery, trucks, boats, 4 wheelers, neighbors going in and out of there all day.

Well, the 7 year old spent the whole morning chasing the chickens around and catching them and letting them go over and over. They're all making a big ruckus. The 16 year old said that a dang bobcat came in and sat in the FRONT YARD, not 15 yards from the front porch and 40 yards from where the kids, chickens and dogs were. Said he was a good 3 feet tall (sitting) and sat there watching and waiting for a good half hour or more. Pretty brazen if you ask me. She finally threw something at him I think and got him to run off. By the time my cousin got back, grabbed his shotgun and went looking for him, he was gone. I'm sure he would have just given him a warning shot over his head ;-)

I knew the bobcats were getting pretty thick around there, but man, have any of you ever heard of one doing something like that?

2. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    I've heard of one that took refuge in a fridge and attacked an innocent bystander upon release...or something like that:D

3. DADAKOTA

DADAKOTA Active Member

Apr 18, 2006
    My buddy's Son was bowhunting up around Brookfield and dang near walked under a mountain lion laying on a limb up a tree. Scared the bejeezus out of him.