bobcat and otter survey

Discussion in 'Trapping/Furbearing' started by bigjohn, Nov 3, 2010.

1. bigjohn

bigjohn Active Member

May 31, 2008
    Marshall,Mo
    Any of you other trappers get the survey request in the mail?Looks like the MDC are getting there ducks in a row before the problems like Arizona,Michigan ,and New Mexico are having with the AR happens here.Glad our conservation dept is run by scientific data types than like other states where the unknowledgable public makes the game laws.

2. Judah

Judah Crossbow supporter

Oct 19, 2007
    Warren County
    Have not but this will be my first year trapping.
    I know I have several bobact sightings in my IMMEDIATE area (within 1/4 mile of my house.)

3. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    I got it too, I'm not filing that out! It's a joke, gotta be! All the forms and all those envelopes- jeesh-

4. Detrhoyt

Detrhoyt Horny D

Oct 26, 2008
    Work
    [rquote=1878076&tid=130803&author=Cherokee]I got it too, I'm not filing that out! It's a joke, gotta be! All the forms and all those envelopes- jeesh-[/rquote]

Me neither. MDC gets no favors from me until more of their regulations across the board are to my liking. For instance, when they're ready to stop turning people into criminals for hunting deer over a corn pile, maybe we'll talk. They will have to be happy with the money I spend on tags and licenses for now.

5. rangerdvr

rangerdvr Senior Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Beebe, Arkansas
    There is quite a few otters in Mid Mo, not even talking about Otterville....

6. bigjohn

bigjohn Active Member

May 31, 2008
    Marshall,Mo
    Guys,I urge you to rethink not doing the survey.Trapping is under fire every day and this survey is to give the MDC the ammunition to fight back.Now I don't agree with everything they do but this survey is important to trappers and in a way to hunters.We are lucky here in Mo. that are Dept is ran by a seperate commission and not the state legislaters.States like Arizona,Michigan,and New Mexico are going to have to let the courts decide their fates.I, for one,don't want a bunch of treehugging yuppies telling me how our wildlife resourses should be managed.

7. Rebel2

Rebel2 New Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    Forget them surveys they are annoying and a waste of my time. Never have, nor ever will fill one out. :cheers:

8. bigjohn

bigjohn Active Member

May 31, 2008
    Marshall,Mo
    Rebel,I have noticed that you post alot during dove season.How would you feel if that was taken away due to a public referendum ?It's happened in other states and without our wildlife being managed by scientific data instead of emotions,it could happen here.Trapping has been under the gun for as long as I can remember.Coon hunters,bird hunters,heck even rabbithunters(I own 3 beagles)have tried at one time to undermine trapping.Mostly due to the ignorance of the sport .Many people who are not familar with trapping think the traps have teeth,the animals chew their legs off,that animals are left days to suffer.Their only look at trappers and other sportsman have beenthrough the movies like Bambi and other Disney charactors.Prop B was a move by the anti's to get a foothold in Mo. and now they'll start on the sportsman,mark my words.

9. Rebel2

Rebel2 New Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    [rquote=1878596&tid=130803&author=bigjohn]Rebel,I have noticed that you post alot during dove season..[/rquote]

I post alot every day.....

And to the rest, people not answering surveys is not gonna cancel any seasons, :rof2:

10. mikeak

mikeak Member

I'm not going to fill it out. I've seen the way the MDC twists surveys to say whatever they want.Look what they did with the surveys to shorten our season.I was very involved in that and when it was over I said I was through with surveys.
    Mike

11. chuck88

chuck88 New Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Fulton MO
    the only thing I don't like about the survey is I have to figure out how many days I have sets out for what. if I catch a bobcat in a 5x5 conibear box set for coons is it a bobcat set? I've caught 2 in them so far but not what I would call a reliable "cat set" more of a fluke, but I put them down as a cat set then its gonna look like I'm the worst trapper in the world when it says I have 12 sets out a night for the entire season to catch 1 bobcat.
    heck I have enough problems when tagging otters and cats trying to remember what date I caught them on, much less how many sets I had that day.
    but I'll fill out the survey but I'm not sure on cutting the bottom jaw off as I sell skulls.

12. BowtechIAN

BowtechIAN New Member

Oct 4, 2006
    Columbia
    I GOT ONE! They are just wanting to know how many traps it takes to catch a certain amount of animals. So what if they go back to limiting the catch on them if it is needed it is needed.

13. bigjohn

bigjohn Active Member

May 31, 2008
    Marshall,Mo
    This survey will give them some idea of density and the tooth is to be able to age the animals.
    Mike,I understand your anger at the season being shortened,but a survey didn't do that.It was voted on by the members of the Missouri Trappers Assoc. that sealed the deal on that.
    Chuck,I think they only want you to note the traps set for specific animals,not incidental catches.Also know what you mean by the taking of a tooth.You might contact them and see if aging can be done another way.

14. mikeak

mikeak Member

Big John, I won't get into all that again,The way it was done was wrong. Not only did I quit with their surveys but I also washed my hands of the MTA. Just a little bitter I quess.
    Not trashing the MDC,Just don't trust them.I sell my cats whole to taxidermists,I'm for sure not going to cut off the jaw.
    If the resource needs to be managed for the good of the resource,I'm all for it.Cut the season,restrict the numbers taken,whatever it takes.
    Mike

15. ZooKeeper

ZooKeeper New Member

Jan 17, 2007
    O'Fallon, MO
    I received it...but suck at killing furry critters, so it won't matter if I fill it out.

:hysterical:

16. beagleboy6

beagleboy6 New Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Bates County
    Sent the a question over their website, it is completely voluntary, but I am sure they can get some good data out of it.

I disagreed with their wording around the taxidermy portion. True, a fake mouth set is used, however, it is cool to get the skull back as a euro with the mount. Don't think this is something they thought of.

If I end up getting more than 1-2 cats, no problem sending them the jaw, but if I only end up with 1-2, then they won't be getting anything from me.

17. BowtechIAN

BowtechIAN New Member

Oct 4, 2006
    Columbia
    mikeak, if they wanted to take a tooth from your cat they could do it when they cites tag it, ya know it's their cat!!they just let you harvest it :stirpot: