BLUEGILL TIME LENGTH_GROWTH

Discussion in 'Fishing General' started by leasburg, May 26, 2009.

1. leasburg

leasburg Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2007
    South County MO
    was talkin about this with 20feet the other day, id like to know the life exctent of a bluegill, average size, and how fast they grow and multiply

2. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    fast and alot...i dont know. we have a ton of em in all sizes in our lake. took the kids out the other day and they were catching them between 3" to ones i cold barely hold in my hand

3. leasburg

leasburg Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2007
    South County MO
    love the ones I can barely hold in my hand...man they are good eating

4. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
    They grow quick and reproduce a lot. I believe they can reproduce at @ 1yr. old and live to @ 5 yrs. Average size isn't very big if by average you mean out of 100 bluegill in your pond what is the average size, because the "average" is not fully grown. If you did a fish survey from almost any pond or lake, You will have many more bluegill fingerlings 2-4" than you will small bluegill 4-6" and even less "decent sized" bluegill that are 6-8" and fewer still that are "keepers" 8in. and over.

5. brushpile

brushpile New Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Springfield, MO
    Growth depends on environment. They get easily stunted in ponds if there aren't enough preditor fish to eat the ones that are too small to catch with a hook and line. I've fished them in tidal water, where they grew fast and big eating shrimp, and shocked ponds where none were over 3-4 inches due to over population.

6. JustBob

JustBob New Member

very good information. i have a small pond that is overflowing with green sunfish. it sounds like takin a buttload out won't hurt! moar infoz pleez.

7. brushpile

brushpile New Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Springfield, MO
    You can't fish out sunfish. Sunfish will stunt an entire pond/small lake, unless something is living in the water that eats baby sunfish. When I worked for the Department of Natural Resourses, sunfish were a real problem in trout ponds. Well intended people would add a few sunfish for the kids to catch, and the sunfish would out compete the trout for food; causing the trout to die of starvation. The only solution was to kill the entire pond and then restock it.

In warm water ponds, Bass and Catfish are needed to control sunfish. Fewer sunfish=bigger sunfish, and boatloads of sunfish=little/stunted sunfish. If you have boatloads of sunfish, add Bass and Catfish.

8. FisherBoy

FisherBoy New Member

Sep 29, 2003
    Central Missouri
    Sure wish I had your problem JustBob....Your pond is yelling "trotline bait paradise!" :)

9. JustBob

JustBob New Member

fisherboy, i got the bait if you got the trotline....

found another neighborhood lake last night stocked with bluegill. no bass or cats in it. looks like i got 2 sources for mega bait hauls.

you can invite me catfishin anytime ;p

10. knockemdeadd

knockemdeadd Active Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Arnold(St Louis)
    Bob, imma thinkin you heisted the G2G lake of their sunfish:peepwall:

11. JustBob

JustBob New Member

KED, i threw about 2 dozen out when we left that night. i asked all the kids who were catfishin if they wanted any. the cats werent bitin during the day though. im positive if people would have stuck around we would have nailed the cats that night.

i was the last one to leave the GTG because i was the only MWT'r die hard enough to get in a boat and hit that tihs!

12. knockemdeadd

knockemdeadd Active Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Arnold(St Louis)
    [rquote=1276887&tid=89319&author=JustBob]KED, i threw about 2 dozen out when we left that night. i asked all the kids who were catfishin if they wanted any. the cats werent bitin during the day though. im positive if people would have stuck around we would have nailed the cats that night.

i was the last one to leave the GTG because i was the only MWT'r die hard enough to get in a boat and hit that tihs![/rquote]

i was kinda pooped by then....sure woulda LOVED to join ya out there, tossin a buzzbait right at dusk:woot:

13. JustBob

JustBob New Member

if you hook up a lake with cats ill bring enough bait for the night...