Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

BLUEGILL A PLENTY

1K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Mailman 
#1 ·
I have a little place w/ a nice 9 acre pond on it that has always been a real good fishing hole but lately ( the last year ) I seem to be catching a LOT of Bluegill . They are real good size & let's face it GREAT FIGHTERS , & fun to catch . But they are driving me nuts- No matter where I throw in deep or shallow I am bound to catch at least 10-20 in a day compared to the 3-9 Bass . Does anyone else have this problem & how can I get rid of some of the Blues W/out harming the other fish-Crappie , Cat, & Bass !?

#4 ·
You can't take enough bluegills out of the pond !

And/Or introduce a few aggressive fish like Strippers or Pike, not too many... like 6 would be plenty.
And then take some more bluegills out of the pond. Keep every one that you catch regardless of size. Feed the ***** with them if they're too small to clean.

#6 ·
almost NEVER too small to clean.. just get a mess of 'em. Your sitting on a gold mine there. IMHO, bluegill are everybit as good as crappie. You gots lots of food swimming around there bud!

#8 ·
Put me on the waiting list for the fishing trip. I'll keep every BG I catch. As hunter7x stated you can not take enough BG from a pond. My father-in-laws pond in Pleasant Hill has thousands of small BG in it because he throws back all of them that are to small ti eat. Now he has a pond full of 4 and 5 inch blue gill. If yours are big enough to eat you are lucky. My fly rod is at the ready.....just let me know when it's my turn.

#14 ·
Originally posted by VERNETA
THAT SOUNDS RRRRREEEALLY GOOD RIGHT NOW -- A 1/2 order of wings & a SUDSY BREW !:cheers:
I'll have what he's having only make mine a full order please...:cheers:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.