BLUEGILL A PLENTY

Discussion in 'Fishing General' started by VERNETA, Apr 10, 2006.

1. VERNETA

VERNETA New Member

Sep 23, 2004
    KANSAS CITY MO
    I have a little place w/ a nice 9 acre pond on it that has always been a real good fishing hole but lately ( the last year ) I seem to be catching a LOT of Bluegill . They are real good size & let's face it GREAT FIGHTERS , & fun to catch . But they are driving me nuts- No matter where I throw in deep or shallow I am bound to catch at least 10-20 in a day compared to the 3-9 Bass . Does anyone else have this problem & how can I get rid of some of the Blues W/out harming the other fish-Crappie , Cat, & Bass !?

2. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Invite us and we'll take care of your bluegills!

3. gmbellew

gmbellew Member

Jan 10, 2005
    KCMO
    yeah man, don't be stingy with the fillets.:wink4:

4. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana
    You can't take enough bluegills out of the pond !

And/Or introduce a few aggressive fish like Strippers or Pike, not too many... like 6 would be plenty.
    And then take some more bluegills out of the pond. Keep every one that you catch regardless of size. Feed the coons with them if they're too small to clean.

5. semohuntingguy

semohuntingguy New Member

Nov 2, 2005
    southeast mo.
    I love the bluegill fillets man come on invites us no more problem

6. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    almost NEVER too small to clean.. just get a mess of 'em. Your sitting on a gold mine there. IMHO, bluegill are everybit as good as crappie. You gots lots of food swimming around there bud!

7. Neil

Neil New Member

Jan 21, 2005
    Lee's Summit
    I am in your area, let me know and I will take some off of your hands.

8. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Put me on the waiting list for the fishing trip. I'll keep every BG I catch. As hunter7x stated you can not take enough BG from a pond. My father-in-laws pond in Pleasant Hill has thousands of small BG in it because he throws back all of them that are to small ti eat. Now he has a pond full of 4 and 5 inch blue gill. If yours are big enough to eat you are lucky. My fly rod is at the ready.....just let me know when it's my turn.

9. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Dynamite should work. May get a few bass out with it though.:bangin:

10. ACES

ACES Active Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Verneta, I'd love to help take some of those off your hands. I'm in Lee's Summit.

Mailman, Maybe you could give me some pointers with the flyrod. I'm trying to avoid hitting myself in the face.

-Art Schneider

aces70chevy@yahoo.com

11. VERNETA

VERNETA New Member

Sep 23, 2004
    KANSAS CITY MO
    ACES

Ever go Downtown ? I DJ at a place called ALLEY CATZ & am a frequenter at the Peanut ! Well , I guess ya can't have TOO many BG - They just seem to be getting bigger & the Bass have stagnated in size !

12. Neil

Neil New Member

Jan 21, 2005
    Lee's Summit
    The Peanut has the best wings ever.

13. VERNETA

VERNETA New Member

Sep 23, 2004
    KANSAS CITY MO
    THAT SOUNDS RRRRREEEALLY GOOD RIGHT NOW -- A 1/2 order of wings & a SUDSY BREW !:cheers:

14. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana

I'll have what he's having only make mine a full order please...:cheers:

15. VERNETA

VERNETA New Member

Sep 23, 2004
    KANSAS CITY MO
    BEST MAKE IT A COUPLE SUDSY DRINKS ?

16. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana
    Ok if you're going to pull the peer pressure thing I'll have 2...but I don't want to !!!

17. VERNETA

VERNETA New Member

Sep 23, 2004
    KANSAS CITY MO
    HATE TO BE THE ARM TWISTER BUT IT IS NOON SOMEWHERE !

18. ACES

ACES Active Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Verneta, I've never been to the ALLEY CATZ, but I before I got married, I went to the Peanut a few times.

19. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Aces.....it's called "A Roll Cast". Easy to do especially when you have brush behind you and you can't make a normal cast with the fly rod.