Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Preferred pronoun-Stud Muffin
10,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, how come no one told me that CCI #11's and Remington #10's are the same thing?
I have a tin of CCI#10's and they are too darned small.
Are they the same?
And who made these rules anywho?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Confusing question . In first sentence you are claiming they are the same then you say 10s are too small then you ask if they are the same . #11 are #11sized #10 are #10 sized . They are slightly different in size as a quick Google of DIFFERENCE IN SIZES IF PERCUSSION CAPS #11 AND #10 Will show you .

·
Registered
9,715 Posts
Generally, not always, #10's work better on revolvers and #11's on rifles. As Ozark said, they aren't the same.

·
10,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sharps, I bought CCI #10, and they're too small.
At some site, they claimed the CCI #11 and the Remington #10 were the same size.
That's why i posted the question.
Obviously no one knows.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Lol . Everyone knows . If they were both #10 size they would be #10s if they were #11 size they would be #11 size. The reason they are listed as two different sizes is they are two different sizes . Different lots from the same manufacturers or different manufacturers min - max tolerance may be close to the same but #10 is normally slightly longer and narrower than #11

·
Registered
6,897 Posts
Simple solution - buy a gun with smaller nipples.
Problem solved.

Reactions: Mailman

·
10,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
10,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tell me, oazarkpugs, do you now have, or have you ever had, both at the same time?
In other words, have you had CCI #10, and Remington #10's and tried to use them interchangeably? Cause if not...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Tell me, oazarkpugs, do you now have, or have you ever had, both at the same time?
In other words, have you had CCI #10, and Remington #10's and tried to use them interchangeably? Cause if not...
Re read your first post . As I said in my first post it is very confusing . You start out asking if #11 cci and Remington #10 are the same and then jump to Remington #10s being too small . Exactly what caps are you comparing ? I originally thought the #11 cci was a mistake and you meant #10 cci but you have yet to correct yourself. Either way #11 cci #10 cci and Remington #10 are all different sizes . Because of min- max overlap in the caps and nipples you will find some nipples that will take two or maybe all three and others that one or two may not fit or split when installing. Some fit so tight they will not bottom out and fail to pop . Here is a size chart .

·
10,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, you're right, ozarkpup. Let me back up.
Remington #10's are just the right size for both my pistols. Not being able to get those, I bought a tin of the CCI #10's. As the chart sez, shorter, but they will NOT go on either a '61 Navy nor a '58 Remington.
Reading through some interwebs, wrote said the CCI #11's fit like the Remington #10's. That's not the way it's supposed to work. Hence my question.
By the way, trying to buy Remington percussion caps has brought me into contact with some sleazy web dealers of things black powder. I should try to document all that..
One guy sold me 1000 caps for $100, then when he billed, had a $500 "fee". Heh. Not an individual, either, an ammo website.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yeah, you're right, ozarkpup. Let me back up.
Remington #10's are just the right size for both my pistols. Not being able to get those, I bought a tin of the CCI #10's. As the chart sez, shorter, but they will NOT go on either a '61 Navy nor a '58 Remington.
Reading through some interwebs, wrote said the CCI #11's fit like the Remington #10's. That's not the way it's supposed to work. Hence my question.
By the way, trying to buy Remington percussion caps has brought me into contact with some sleazy web dealers of things black powder. I should try to document all that..
One guy sold me 1000 caps for $100, then when he billed, had a $500 "fee". Heh. Not an individual, either, an ammo website.
Some people say force them using the hammer but as the chart shows they are .004 smaller I d so that is why if forced they split . IF IT DON'T FIT DON'T FORCE IT screams out to me .

·
10,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yup. Found the chart. CCI #11 are the same inside diameter as Remington #10. Well, crap. CCI #11 are shorter, which I don't know if that's a big deal or not.
Just wish Remington would get cranking up again, or someone else jump into the breech.

·
10,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Huh. Academic. they can't be found either.

·
Registered
9,715 Posts
It's one of those annoying circumstances with BP revolvers and caps. I know of several guys who change out the nipples but I don't know what brand or what size caps they take either. Seems some are 10's and some are 11's. I have both sizes of CCI's and the 10's are a bit small for a couple of my revolvers while the 11's are a bit too big for any of them. I generally use the 10's and push them on with a little stick if they're too small. I've not had any difficulties with split caps. The 11's, you can squeeze the skirt together and they usually stay on. I have had a very, very few fall off though, in 45 years, which introduces the possibility of a single cylinder chain fire but, I've never had that happen......yet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts