Black Mountain Lion ? NWMO House cat?

Discussion in 'Missouri Outdoor News' started by olebuck, Feb 8, 2017.

1. olebuck

olebuck Member

Aug 20, 2007
    De Kalb, Missouri
    http://www.stjosephpost.com/2017/02/08/caught-on-camera-in-northwest-missouri/

Caught on camera in northwest Missouri
    FEBRUARY 8, 2017 BY NADIA THACKER 4 COMMENTS

Photo courtesy Dennis Pierson
    Photo courtesy Dennis Pierson
    A farmer near Maryville has spotted a large black animal several times and Tuesday night he caught it on camera.

Dennis Pierson isn’t for sure what has been crossing his path, but for the past month he’s been seeing what looks like a large black cat near his home about 12 miles northwest of Maryville. He wondered if he could be seeing a black panther.

“Here about a month ago my son and I were checking cows or something and we saw something black down on the pond and I said ‘look at that it looks bigger then a cat’,†Pierson said. “We got fairly close but we still weren’t really sure. It looked bigger then a cat. Then, probably about a week ago I saw it a long ways off in the distance and I was in the tractor and when it saw me it just squatted down and tried to hide. I didn’t go towards it I just stayed where I was.â€

Pierson said Tuesday night, he saw the animal come out of a ditch about a quarter mile away from him while he was sitting in his pickup and was able to snap a few photos.

“It was probably 30 inches long or maybe longer and it probably stood up a foot or so,†he said.

We took Pierson’s photo and got a hold of Joe Jerek with the Missouri Department of Conservation. Jerek said that comparing the animal to the size of the nearby fence post and logs they think it’s likely just a large house cat.

“Mountain lions are much larger, about 5–8½ feet including a tail length of 21–37 inches and a weight: 79–265 pounds for males and about 65–140 pounds for females,†he said. “Also, there is no CONFIRMED evidence of a black mountain lion in all of north America. There have been reports of escaped or release black leopards, but those are very rare. This is not a black leopard either.â€

The MDC said mountain lions, cougars, pumas, and panthers are all different names for the same animal. The MDC has its own Mountain Lion Response Team and encourages citizens to report sightings, physical evidence or other incidents so they can investigate. For more information on mountain lions and reporting sightings in Missouri CLICK HERE.

2. olebuck

olebuck Member

Aug 20, 2007
    De Kalb, Missouri
    Biggest house cat i've seen. Look how thick the tail is......What you think?

Don't know how to post the pic!

3. Big L

Big L Trapper Groupie

Aug 8, 2008
    Bonne Terre
    My Bro in law swears he saw one years ago in Valles Mines,snapped a pic with his phone but was to far away

4. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

It is a feral cat. A feral cat is defined as any cat that isn't being held in someone's lap when I see it.

A little known feral cat factoid. They have been known to sometimes wear bells and ribbons.

5. Huntmohard

Huntmohard Member

Sep 17, 2012
  6. crfishhunter

crfishhunter Member

Jun 23, 2012
    One way to find out shoot it.

7. htredneck

htredneck Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2008
    Cass County, MO
    My daughter has a house cat bigger than that. Stupid thing weighs 30 pounds if it weighs an ounce

8. OutbackBio

OutbackBio Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Kansas City
    Still amazes me people think there are black panthers in MO. Sorry to ruin your black panther party but, um no

9. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Black color phase Jaguar. Lot's of them running around.

10. thwackaddict

thwackaddict Senior Member

Nov 1, 2007
    NW Missouri
    They killed one in south MO several years ago.:eek:

11. thwackaddict

Nov 1, 2007
    NW Missouri
    Never trust color

I have no doubt many people from MO have seen "black panthers".

Case in point. Several years ago about 4:00 in the evening my brother and I were driving from east to west across a 2 acre bottom field. As we pulled into the field we immediately noticed a large black as coal animal sitting on its haunches side profile looking at us. My brothers black lab had disappeared about 6 months previously. My brother said, "is that Ranger?"... his black lab. I said that is a cat not a dog!!! As we drove closer and closer it turned from a coal black color to gray. It then stood up and revealed that it was a huge male bobcat. It trotted into the brush and watched us drive by at about 10 yards. I was glad my brother was with me because him asking if it was his black lab verified I wasn't seeing coal black when I wasn't. It was an awesome learning experience to see the color change as we drove closer.

Now the main thing here was that the cat was "back lit". Sun well behind it in the evening(even though it was cloudy out).

I also know of three people from 3 different states that saw a "black panther" at close distance opening day of deer season about 15 years ago. All 3 sightings were within 1/4 mile of each other and within a 5 minute time frame. A 4th person saw it 4 days later 1/2 mile from the other 3 sightings. None of these people knew of the others sightings. The 4th time it left tracks in about an inch of snow. Snow was melted out when I got there. Bare grass where prints used to be. But it had a 24" walking stride. Closest sighting was at 10 yards. I doubt it was black, I just figure it was a cougar that appeared coal black due to lighting and/or wet fur.

Now I once talked to Warren Haslouer of Smokey River bluetick fame. He killed 100's of cougars back in the day. And even treed Jaguars in old Mexico with his hounds.

I asked him about black cougars. He said he once was in Idaho and had dogs headed down a ravine on a hot track. Up the other side of the ravine a normal tan cougar and a coal black cougar were running side by side. He just shook his head and said there wasn't any explanation as to why one was coal black and the other normal tan. He said they spent a lot of time trying to see or tree that cat again but never did. Proof? Nope, but makes you wonder.

12. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo

here ya go

Attached Files:

• cat.jpg
      cat.jpg
      File size:
      24.3 KB
      Views:
  13. Cedar Thicket

Cedar Thicket Blonde Bearded Guy

Saw 'one' a few years ago in Callaway county. No idea on species but it was way bigger than that, black and gaining ground on a few running deer. I wouldn't believe myself but had a witness with me.

14. Jagermeister

Jagermeister Senior Hunter

The cougar, also commonly known as the mountain lion, puma, panther, or catamount, is a large felid of the subfamily Felinae native to the Americas. Wikipedia

15. MOGC

MOGC Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2008
    SE Ozark's
    No they didn't ...

16. So why couldn't a lion be melanistic, or pie bald, or whatever is the proper term is for a critter with a black coat. Seems like every species has a few oddly colored examples. Of course I understand that this would not technically be a "panther", but isn't this a possibility?

17. Fuldraw

Fuldraw Fuldraw

Dec 8, 2013
    These prints were found on our place a few years ago
    Crawford county
    ImageUploadedByMissouri Hunting1487099920.558268.jpg
    ImageUploadedByMissouri Hunting1487099959.289950.jpg
    Conservation said k9:: wave:: no claw marks ::wave::

18. MOGC

MOGC Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2008
    SE Ozark's

Not one, ever, documented black mountain lion/cougar hide, mount, carcass, legit photo, game cam pic or video or other video has ever turned up for examination. In over 300 + years of exploration, settlement, substance, market, and sport hunting, along with the scientific discovery, study, and documentation of North America, best I can tell there have been exactly ZERO documented black mountain lions. Mountain lions have/had been extirpated from the eastern half of the United States and pursued relentlessly in the western U.S. from the beginning of white settlement and yet not one black lion has ever been documented. Some guys like Ben Lilly treed and shot hundreds of lions - but not one single black one. Some monkey's uncle sipping wild grape at the rivers crossing on a dark night that sees something through bleary eyes doesn't qualify as credible evidence. I know that burst a lot of bubbles and overly active imaginations, but it just doesn't count until it's proven with evidence that can withstand honest scientific scrutiny.

19. thwackaddict

Nov 1, 2007
    NW Missouri
    ''Twas in the news. Pretty big deal. Lot of wackos upset it was killed.
    I may have the article stored in my cougar articles folder. :D