Birth Control in Whitetail Deer

Discussion in 'Whitetails General' started by D.R.N.18, Feb 23, 2006.

1. D.R.N.18

D.R.N.18 New Member

Feb 13, 2006
    I am in the process of gathering some information for an upcoming speech. I was just wondering what your stands are on using birth control in whitetailed deer are? Also, what states you know have used that method and what its effectiveness is. I am sure you guys will provide me with enough ammunition to convince my liberal peers that using birth control is a waste of time and money. Thanks for any input.
  2. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    The best form of birth control which has been proven time and time again is a few good bowhunters and a mess of Muzzy's !! lol

Some investigating on your part will turn up a lot of info I'm sure.

3. T- Bone

T- Bone New Member

Jun 18, 2003
    Wayne County Iowa
    Yes control the population with birth control. That is a great idea.:stickfight:
  4. Fla_Guy

Fla_Guy Active Member

Dec 13, 2005
    What's my stand?? Let nature take it's course. If we need to 'manage' deer, eliminate nuisances, then so be it!! :sniper:

I see this as a completely different thing than baiting raccoons with rabies vaccine - an intervention process I agree with (just to show that I am not completely 'hands-off').
  5. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    I heard that the timing had to be just right, and only lasts one season so it has to be done every year. Also, how do you keep track of which does you have darted?

Not very effective from what I have heard and a heckuva lot more expensive that letting some willing bowhunters control the herd.
  6. Underclocked

Underclocked New Member

Jan 27, 2003
    Greenfield, MO. USA
    Maybe those darts need to be used on people instead.
  7. Bowkil

Bowkil New Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Ozark Plateau
    the most efficaint method of birth control wears hunter orange, but for us bow hunters we wear camo.
    i just want to slap the hell out the people who want to spade and nooter deer
  8. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Seems to me I read somewhere, that the trapping and administering the BC, had a pretty large amount of the deer stressed out and dead....
  9. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    There were trying to trap and relocate deer here in suburban st. louis (town and country) and the mortality rate was better than 70%. Relocating (other than to my freezer) dont work either.