Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out Sun morning to look for some mushrooms but decided to take the tky calls and wear my camo, pulled up to the first spot and there was a bird gobbling so I had to go see if I still had it! (I dont hunt this area) I set up and gave him a nice good morning tree call, he said hello and flew down and continued to gobble like a tky should! after about 10 minutes of extremely Nasty tky talk he was 20 yards from me strutting like the stud he was / is! I watched him for about 30 minutes and he walked off gobbling ocassionally. I did jump a hen from a nest so things might be right on for Monday but I would bet it fizzles out fast! Good Luck Everyone:wave:

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Originally posted by Hatch
Went out Sun morning to look for some mushrooms but decided to take the tky calls and wear my camo, pulled up to the first spot and there was a bird gobbling so I had to go see if I still had it! (I dont hunt this area) I set up and gave him a nice good morning tree call, he said hello and flew down and continued to gobble like a tky should! after about 10 minutes of extremely Nasty tky talk he was 20 yards from me strutting like the stud he was / is! I watched him for about 30 minutes and he walked off gobbling ocassionally. I did jump a hen from a nest so things might be right on for Monday but I would bet it fizzles out fast! Good Luck Everyone:wave:
no offense or anything, but some body might be hunting there and you just made that bird a little smarter.

people do this same thing all the time at my families farm...they think it's okay to call to birds before the season to practice calling. all it does is make that bird harder to kill. :soapbox:

·
Registered
708 Posts
Not hard to believe at all that they are already on nests ..........I've seen quite a few little fuzzy young ones during the season throughout the years and I've seen just as many or more young ones the size of a grouse on Memorial Day. Both cases means they had to hatch in late April or very early May and which also means they had to be sitting by late March or early April.

·
Registered
6,027 Posts
Originally posted by thh058
no offense or anything, but some body might be hunting there and you just made that bird a little smarter.

people do this same thing all the time at my families farm...they think it's okay to call to birds before the season to practice calling. all it does is make that bird harder to kill. :soapbox:
i was waiting for this to pop up i knew it was coming

in theroy though wouldn't that make hunters better too:D

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

You are right! I did not educate anybodys birds though, but I do practice on live turkeys, that is the only contest I am interested in winning. I just wanted to share that the birds were cooperating and I know exactly what you are saying. I guess I should have stated that the birds I was calling are for the most part off limits..:D

·
Registered
18,259 Posts
I don't think you educated them, it's not like you jumped up and ran ofter him after you called him in, "I watched him for about 30 minutes and he walked off gobbling ocassionally."

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
i didn't mean to jump on you like that hatch. it just rubs me the wrong way when people driving down the road stop and start calling at my farm!!! :mad: if the turkeys were off limits then i have no problem with it.:cheers:

every time you call a turkey in, it is educating them. if he hears a hen calling to him, goes to where that hen should be and doesn't find one, you are educating him. the only thing worse would be if the gobbler found decoys there instead of nothing. it just makes the birds call shy.

hfff...i'd rather be lucky than good!!!:rotfl::rotfl:

·
Registered
11,897 Posts
How good of a memory do toms have? I have seen instances hunting wiht my friend where he calls in a tom and fomr soem reason bogles his rasing of the gun and tom runs off, only for us to call the same tom back in a couple of hrs and get him in close enouf to shoot him. Seen it hapen 2 times.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
i guess the turkeys i hunt are just harder to kill, or there isn't as many as the ones every one else hunts...:confused: or maybe i just suck at turkey hunting!!

longbow...i've seen people do that with big bucks on the outdoor channel too. they were extremely lucky and i bet it doesn't happen too often (unless there are big bucks every where). i make a mistake like that on my farm, i won't see that turkey again for a while.

i find it hard to identify specific gobbler anyway...they all look the same to me. so even if i did call him back in, i doubt i would know it was the same exact bird.:confused:

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
i guess the turkeys i hunt are just harder to kill, or there isn't as many as the ones every one else hunts...:confused: or maybe i just suck at turkey hunting!!

longbow...i've seen people do that with big bucks on the outdoor channel too. they were extremely lucky and i bet it doesn't happen too often (unless there are big bucks every where). i make a mistake like that on my farm, i won't see that turkey again for a while.

i find it hard to identify specific gobbler anyway...they all look the same to me. so even if i did call him back in, i doubt i would know it was the same exact bird.:confused:
T, we hunt the same kind of birds....and deer!!!!! Ya took the words right out of my mouth on this one.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i didn't mean to jump on you like that hatch. it just rubs me the wrong way when people driving down the road stop and start calling at my farm!!! :mad: if the turkeys were off limits then i have no problem with it.:cheers:

every time you call a turkey in, it is educating them. if he hears a hen calling to him, goes to where that hen should be and doesn't find one, you are educating him. the only thing worse would be if the gobbler found decoys there instead of nothing. it just makes the birds call shy.

hfff...i'd rather be lucky than good!!!:rotfl::rotfl:
Hey no problem, I should have been more clear, I am no expert but I know a thing or two about turkey hunting and I agree with your point about making a bird call shy, but if he is not called to every morning it will not bother him as much as you would think, Just MY $.02 Again, Good Luck!:cheers:

·
Registered
250 Posts
if you read the article in Missouri Game & Fish this month on "Ray Eye" he claims a turkey only has a memory span of 1 hour.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.