Birds are working just fine in MO

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by Hatch, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Hatch

Hatch New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    OFallon MO
    Went out Sun morning to look for some mushrooms but decided to take the tky calls and wear my camo, pulled up to the first spot and there was a bird gobbling so I had to go see if I still had it! (I dont hunt this area) I set up and gave him a nice good morning tree call, he said hello and flew down and continued to gobble like a tky should! after about 10 minutes of extremely Nasty tky talk he was 20 yards from me strutting like the stud he was / is! I watched him for about 30 minutes and he walked off gobbling ocassionally. I did jump a hen from a nest so things might be right on for Monday but I would bet it fizzles out fast! Good Luck Everyone:wave:

2. riverbottomhunter

riverbottomhunter Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    Thanks for the report. Hard to believe the hens are on nest already.

3. thh058

thh058 Active Member

May 12, 2005
    Jefferson County
    no offense or anything, but some body might be hunting there and you just made that bird a little smarter.

people do this same thing all the time at my families farm...they think it's okay to call to birds before the season to practice calling. all it does is make that bird harder to kill. :soapbox:

4. PFR

PFR New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    Not hard to believe at all that they are already on nests ..........I've seen quite a few little fuzzy young ones during the season throughout the years and I've seen just as many or more young ones the size of a grouse on Memorial Day. Both cases means they had to hatch in late April or very early May and which also means they had to be sitting by late March or early April.

5. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo

i was waiting for this to pop up i knew it was coming

in theroy though wouldn't that make hunters better too:D

6. Hatch

Hatch New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    OFallon MO
    You are right! I did not educate anybodys birds though, but I do practice on live turkeys, that is the only contest I am interested in winning. I just wanted to share that the birds were cooperating and I know exactly what you are saying. I guess I should have stated that the birds I was calling are for the most part off limits..:D

7. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana
    I don't think you educated them, it's not like you jumped up and ran ofter him after you called him in, "I watched him for about 30 minutes and he walked off gobbling ocassionally."

8. thh058

thh058 Active Member

May 12, 2005
    Jefferson County
    i didn't mean to jump on you like that hatch. it just rubs me the wrong way when people driving down the road stop and start calling at my farm!!! :mad: if the turkeys were off limits then i have no problem with it.:cheers:

every time you call a turkey in, it is educating them. if he hears a hen calling to him, goes to where that hen should be and doesn't find one, you are educating him. the only thing worse would be if the gobbler found decoys there instead of nothing. it just makes the birds call shy.

hfff...i'd rather be lucky than good!!!:rotfl::rotfl:

9. Longbow26

Longbow26 New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Farmington, MO
    How good of a memory do toms have? I have seen instances hunting wiht my friend where he calls in a tom and fomr soem reason bogles his rasing of the gun and tom runs off, only for us to call the same tom back in a couple of hrs and get him in close enouf to shoot him. Seen it hapen 2 times.

10. thh058

thh058 Active Member

May 12, 2005
    Jefferson County
    i guess the turkeys i hunt are just harder to kill, or there isn't as many as the ones every one else hunts...:confused: or maybe i just suck at turkey hunting!!

longbow...i've seen people do that with big bucks on the outdoor channel too. they were extremely lucky and i bet it doesn't happen too often (unless there are big bucks every where). i make a mistake like that on my farm, i won't see that turkey again for a while.

i find it hard to identify specific gobbler anyway...they all look the same to me. so even if i did call him back in, i doubt i would know it was the same exact bird.:confused:

11. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

T, we hunt the same kind of birds....and deer!!!!! Ya took the words right out of my mouth on this one.

12. Hatch

Hatch New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    OFallon MO
    Hey no problem, I should have been more clear, I am no expert but I know a thing or two about turkey hunting and I agree with your point about making a bird call shy, but if he is not called to every morning it will not bother him as much as you would think, Just MY $.02 Again, Good Luck!:cheers:

13. Goldtip

Goldtip New Member

Aug 29, 2005
    Santa Fe MO
    if you read the article in Missouri Game & Fish this month on "Ray Eye" he claims a turkey only has a memory span of 1 hour.