Biologic sweet corn

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by EZRA, Jan 12, 2018.

1. EZRA

EZRA Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2016

This looks really interesting

2. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    Raccoon population gonna love ya when you plant it!

Maddog3355 and wingman like this.

3. mx1alex

mx1alex #HFBO

Mar 26, 2008
    #HFBO
    So much stupid in this video.

4. Dafish

Dafish Senior Member

Nov 24, 2010
    St. Peters
    Explain please

5. EZRA

EZRA Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2016
    Would electric fence keep out the coon

6. mx1alex

mx1alex #HFBO

Mar 26, 2008
    #HFBO
    "we open pollinated it" all corn before hybrid corn was developed in the 1930's was open pollinated. And why would you want a corn variety that yields less?

"Can't cross with anything else" Bullchit, and why does it even matter if it does?

"It is the oldest corn that anybody knows of in the nations" - Considering I can go plant some teosinte this is pretty much wrong. Also what the heck benefit does this have for deer?

"Non GMO heirloom sweet corn so it's probably like crazy sweet" Guarantee today's hybridized sweetcorn varieties have a way higher sugar content. Website actually says "Non-GMO for preffered tatse"... That's just laughable.

That was all in the first 60 seconds.

7. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

No need to look any further. The last piece has been put in the puzzle. Well the next to last. The puzzle will be complete when we can plant glutton free wheat for a more natural deer herd.

reitzs likes this.
  8. Dafish

Dafish Senior Member

Nov 24, 2010
    St. Peters

What about the peas he was talking about. I know they are iin the south where they can plant a month or 3 earlier then here

9. wingman

wingman Active Member

May 30, 2012
    I know a guy that planted 4 acres of sweet corn in the middle of an 80 acre field of regular corn and he ended up with less than a truck bed full. The coons cleaned him out.

WBF likes this.
  10. swat1018

swat1018 Active Member

Jan 1, 2013
    LaBelle
    First thing I thought was coons, too. Yes, I plant sweet corn every year and keep coon out with an e-fence.

Maddog3355 likes this.
  11. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    Same thing happened on a neighbor property. They constructed the field the same way with the sweet corn in the middle . They were there the week prior and decided to wait an additional week to harvest the sweet corn. Coons had it pretty much road down and consumed when they got back the following weekend . Be a tough plot to make it through for a late season draw unless you plant ALOT of it.

12. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    I've had the best luck with AWP in a cereal mix for the fall. Also had decent luck with AWPs or any type of vining pea mixed in with sorghum or milo so the beans can vine up the stalks. Kind of like a spring jungle plot . You can add lab lab or soybeans to it. Puts out some tonnage for sure.

13. swat1018

swat1018 Active Member

Jan 1, 2013
    LaBelle
    I quit the AWP in my rye/oat/radish/red clover fall mix. Only place I could ever find a pea plant was in my exclusion cage. I just throw in left over soybeans for attraction, knowing the first bad cold zaps them.

14. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    Add more peas! Lol!
    No doubt they will hammer them. Definitely not an option to plant AWPs alone in a plot that's for sure!

15. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    Curious if ole Toxi is going to pay reparations to the Indians for stealing the seed the natives developed!?

16. UncleSlayer

UncleSlayer Senior Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Boone County
    keep coons out with DPs if electric fence isnt an option

17. EZRA

EZRA Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2016
    I'd still be interested in trying it haha. Haters gonna hate hate hate lol. I enjoy watching all wildlife in my bow stand so I'd still like to see what used it, but I'd prolly mix it with rr corn

18. Dafish

Dafish Senior Member

Nov 24, 2010
    St. Peters
    he was talking about planting peas in the spring for protein while growing antlers, not as a fall plot...but i read on here, deer do not need spring early summer plots to grow big antlers, just woody browse..

WBF likes this.
  19. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    By all means give it a try. How big of an area do you plan on planting? Do you have a planter?

20. techteacher

techteacher Land buying addiction Lifetime Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Troy,
    It's amazing how coons can find sweet corn. We plant it close to the house with dogs that helps some but they still get a lot.