Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3,2,1, BOOM!

We stopped by to pick up our turkey slaying partner in crime (dad/grandpa) and away we went. This was the first time taking both kids at the same time and it paid off in a big way!

We were a bit disappointed at gobbling light Saturday morning. The birds roosted a good ways north of the farm (roughly 450-500 yards). Normally if they roost to the north, that's where they spend the day. Thankfully that wasn't the case this time.

It took us 1 hr and 15 minutes for them to slowly close the gap, gobbling every other breath it seemed. Needless to say the 4 of us were wound tight by the time the made it to us! They first showed themselves through the timber roughly 75 yards out and we got the kids positioned on them. We lost sight just over a very small rise and of course they moved right on us and popped out 30 yards in our 3 o'clock position. They continued to us and got 15 yards out still in terrible position...they then let out a couple acorn rattling gobbles facing right at us. Thankfully they worked back in front of us to our left....they stepped in front of the barrels. Made sure the kids knew which ones to let the hammer down on....and I done the count down. Perfectly in sync shots and two birds flopping at 13 steps!

What a feeling!

Fun fact - I've been fortunate enough to be on many successful turkey hunts over the years and I would have bet my bottom dollar that these were 2 big birds headed our way. These dudes had deep bellowing full gobbles for jakes.

Military camouflage Camouflage Vertebrate Plant People in nature

Camouflage Military camouflage Plant Vertebrate Cargo pants

· Banned
81,617 Posts
That is awesome. Congrats to those kids.

8,854 Posts
Awesome hunt, congrats to both

· Under appreciated
93,225 Posts
They will remember that for life I bet. Nothing like being in close proximity to gobbling birds.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.