Big Piney

Discussion in 'Fishing General' started by RB., May 21, 2009.

1. RB.

RB. Senior Member

May 16, 2003
    warren county
    Looking into a fishn'float on the Piney next month. We have never been there so any suggestions would be helpful. Have looked at two outfitters, Rich's Last Resort and Boiling Springs Resort. Has anyone from here stayed at either one? Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Bricky

Bricky Active Member

Jul 11, 2003
    Bonne Terre Mo.
    i havent been down there in a few years
    but the locals call Rich's Last Resort a joke

but the fishing in that area is pretty good, lota good small mouth back when i used to go

3. Gakic24

Gakic24 Well-Known Member

Fish little piney instead....

4. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

It's been since the mid 80's since I've floated the Big Piney, back when Mike and Kitty M. used to own that "last resort". They always treated us quite well, but that's only been 20+yrs back..lol.

5. HabitatMD

HabitatMD Active Member

Jan 4, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo
    I think there is another fella that outfits right there at Rich's. Wilderness Ridge I think is the name of it. We've camped there on numerous occasions. The feller that owns the place smallmouth fishes and I'm sure could give you some tips. There are some big fish in the Big Piney.

6. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

[rquote=1270709&tid=88969&author=HabitatMD]I think there is another fella that outfits right there at Rich's. Wilderness Ridge I think is the name of it. We've camped there on numerous occasions. The feller that owns the place smallmouth fishes and I'm sure could give you some tips. There are some big fish in the Big Piney.[/rquote]

Ya know, now that you say that, it was the Wilderness Ridge Resort, that Mike and Kitty used to run!

7. HabitatMD

HabitatMD Active Member

Jan 4, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo
    I think it is Mike. Glasses, kinda thin fella, bad back, from New York or something? I can't remember his wife's name, but she is a real nice lady.

8. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

[rquote=1270715&tid=88969&author=HabitatMD]I think it is Mike. Glasses, kinda thin fella, bad back, from New York or something? I can't remember his wife's name, but she is a real nice lady.[/rquote]

Used to be Mike and Kitty McKelvey, not sure if it's the same Mike? Darn good folks!!! I grew up on that big piney river, while trailriding with me grandparents. Mike would take us up stream, and drop us off, we'd canoe to the trailride campground, stay all nite, then the next day float on down to thier place. Back in the good ol days!!!:rock:

9. HabitatMD

HabitatMD Active Member

Jan 4, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo
    Met my wife on a float trip that was on the Big Piney and we camped at Wilderness Ridge. That was more of a drinkin trip than a fishing trip.

I've never had too much trouble catching fish on the Big Piney...and some pretty decent ones too. Never caught one of those 3-5+# you see the pictures of, but have caught some pushing 3#. I am pretty sure that stretch is in a trophy management area.

10. Bricky

Bricky Active Member

Jul 11, 2003
    Bonne Terre Mo.
    [rquote=1270709&tid=88969&author=HabitatMD]I think there is another fella that outfits right there at Rich's. Wilderness Ridge I think is the name of it. We've camped there on numerous occasions. The feller that owns the place smallmouth fishes and I'm sure could give you some tips. There are some big fish in the Big Piney.[/rquote]

thats the one i was trying to think of
    REAL GOOD people and as far as i know they still have it

fireman
    i'v camped and played there at 6 crossing many times
    and hunted back up there in Duke, we hunted that area for 15 years back in the 70s & 80s

11. Bricky

Bricky Active Member

Jul 11, 2003
    Bonne Terre Mo.
    [rquote=1270727&tid=88969&author=HabitatMD]Met my wife on a float trip that was on the Big Piney and we camped at Wilderness Ridge. That was more of a drinkin trip than a fishing trip.

I've never had too much trouble catching fish on the Big Piney...and some pretty decent ones too. Never caught one of those 3-5+# you see the pictures of, but have caught some pushing 3#. I am pretty sure that stretch is in a trophy management area.[/rquote]

not sure
    but i think it starts on down river a bit

12. HabitatMD

HabitatMD Active Member

Jan 4, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo
    Yep, have to check the rules and regs, but you don't have to worry about it if you let em all go.:cheers:

13. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

[rquote=1270732&tid=88969&author=Bricky][rquote=1270709&tid=88969&author=HabitatMD]I think there is another fella that outfits right there at Rich's. Wilderness Ridge I think is the name of it. We've camped there on numerous occasions. The feller that owns the place smallmouth fishes and I'm sure could give you some tips. There are some big fish in the Big Piney.[/rquote]

thats the one i was trying to think of
    REAL GOOD people and as far as i know they still have it

fireman
    i'v camped and played there at 6 crossing many times
    and hunted back up there in Duke, we hunted that area for 15 years back in the 70s & 80s

[/rquote]

I remember ridin me horse thru Duke...Population 5!!!:cheers:

14. limbhanger28

limbhanger28 Member

Feb 6, 2008
    southwest Missouri
    We camped at the boiling springs resort last year. We had people playing loud music all the way till 4 in the morning thumping bass the whole time. needless to say we were mad enough from the no sleep that when we left at 545 we honked our horn the whole way out.