Big Cat

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by boonville, Oct 28, 2010.

1. boonville

boonville Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Cooper County
    A friend of mine was bow hunting east of kirksville last weekend and had a mountain lion cross in front of his stand about 80 yds out. He says that they see them every yr .i dont believe we are allowed to carry a pistol to the stand, however if I was hunting that patch,I think I would. Anybody else seen a big cat this fall? I have seen one bob

2. MOFish20

MOFish20 Science Doesn't Care What You Believe

Oct 12, 2010
    Pfft. There's no mtn lions in MO:whistle:

3. techteacher

techteacher Land buying addiction Lifetime Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Troy,
    I haven't but my neighbor keeps telling me about one. I am south east of Kirksville. He showed me a picture but it was hard to tell. MDC said it wasn't.

4. chen01

chen01 New Member

Oct 6, 2010
    I havent this year but two years ago during rifle season I seen a mountain lion during rifle season. I hunt in the bollinger county area in southeast missouri!

5. ckbuck

ckbuck New Member

Feb 24, 2010
    My brother and his buddy and dad came last year from Colorado and his dad saw one at 20 yards. Guy was on the ground and said it scared him to death. Saw him the day after and he insisted it was a mountain lion no doubt. Which he wouldn't have told me now I think about it everytime I walk to my stand in the dark.

6. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    [rquote=1867654&tid=130019&author=boonville]A friend of mine was bow hunting east of kirksville last weekend and had a mountain lion cross in front of his stand about 80 yds out. He says that they see them every yr .i dont believe we are allowed to carry a pistol to the stand, however if I was hunting that patch,I think I would. Anybody else seen a big cat this fall? I have seen one bob[/rquote]

I know if I had that many on my place, I'd have trail cameras out for them. :2thumbsup:

Parker

7. ckbuck

ckbuck New Member

Feb 24, 2010
    [rquote=1867690&tid=130019&author=Parker][rquote=1867654&tid=130019&author=boonville]A friend of mine was bow hunting east of kirksville last weekend and had a mountain lion cross in front of his stand about 80 yds out. He says that they see them every yr .i dont believe we are allowed to carry a pistol to the stand, however if I was hunting that patch,I think I would. Anybody else seen a big cat this fall? I have seen one bob[/rquote]

I know if I had that many on my place, I'd have trail cameras out for them. :2thumbsup:

Parker[/rquote]

Agreed!! Put one out on the place I hunt but didn't get any pictures of one, yet!

8. letemgrow

letemgrow Well-Known Member

[rquote=1867654&tid=130019&author=boonville]A friend of mine was bow hunting east of kirksville last weekend and had a mountain lion cross in front of his stand about 80 yds out. He says that they see them every yr .i dont believe we are allowed to carry a pistol to the stand, however if I was hunting that patch,I think I would. Anybody else seen a big cat this fall? I have seen one bob[/rquote]

Every year?!?!

I have yet to lay eyes on a track or cat, but apparently they are quite common since a lot of people see them in my area. Even more than out west where they have known breeding populations. :cheers:

9. wheels25

wheels25 Member

Nov 6, 2006
    Belton, MO
    I haven't... I sure would love to see one though

10. scooter

scooter New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Brashear
    I live 10 miles east of Kirksville. I keep cameras out year round and am out every day. I have never seen a lion, track, found a kill, or any evidence of mountain lions. I look for artifacts too, spend a lot of time in ditches and creeks and Salt river. I sure think I would have at least seen a track, or had some calves eaten if there were any

11. boonville

boonville Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Cooper County
    Scootet

Your in the area, I believe the property is along the salt river, My buddy and I saw one in the head lights in picked bean field eating a rabbit a number of yrs ago just north of Downing. He is not one to tell stories just sayen

12. sand_manms

sand_manms New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    South Mississippi
    [file]143669[/file]

13. Deerhunter46

Deerhunter46 New Member

Oct 20, 2010
    I hunt in southern illinois once a year and my friend ad his brother we riding on there 4wheelers one night and got one in the open and then it ran into the woods. After a morning hunt i walked to the creek and i saw a track of one. But still like to think they are not around it sure makes the walk to the stand in the morning seem a little safer!

14. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    i swear it was creeping up on me for the attack when i killed it.:D

15. BIG OL AL

BIG OL AL New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    High Ridge MO
    Sullivan county does have a few cats in it. Had a buddy who seen them once in a while on his land when he lived on it. Turned his patio light on at 2 in the morning and one was sitting on his patio. I shot a doe up there and an hour later went to retrieve it and more than half the deer was eaten. I am sure a lion ate it.

16. Judah

Judah Crossbow supporter

Oct 19, 2007
    Warren County
    [rquote=1867690&tid=130019&author=Parker][rquote=1867654&tid=130019&author=boonville]A friend of mine was bow hunting east of kirksville last weekend and had a mountain lion cross in front of his stand about 80 yds out. He says that they see them every yr .i dont believe we are allowed to carry a pistol to the stand, however if I was hunting that patch,I think I would. Anybody else seen a big cat this fall? I have seen one bob[/rquote]

Parker[/rquote]

BINGO! Funny how all these people see them but no one has any good pictures of them. :whistle:

17. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Dry land is a myth.

18. Judah

Judah Crossbow supporter

Oct 19, 2007
    Warren County
    [rquote=1879283&tid=130019&author=winger]i swear it was creeping up on me for the attack when i killed it.:D[/rquote]

IT was coming right for us!!!!!

19. MOFish20

MOFish20 Science Doesn't Care What You Believe

Oct 12, 2010
    sure would make the pre-dawn hike to the stand a bit more interesting...

20. Guy at work that's from Kansas SWEARS up and down he had one cross the road in front of him and bound a fence with ease at 9:30 pm the other night...not the joking type...