Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one hunt around Bethany Mo. My wife and I just got permission to hunt 1000 acres up there. 700 acres open (dont know yet what is on the 700) and 300 woods. Any suggestions or tips would help. We will just be bow hunting on it I think. Thanks

·
Registered
453 Posts
I hunt about 30 miles from Bethany, but the terrain is about the same. Good hunting to be had. Just like any where find the food and bedding areas and get in between. Good luck.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I'm not far from there either. I would be glad to help you out this Saturday I will go and scout it out & take my stand with me so I can be ready for opening day:D. The land over there is a little more open, but if it is up by Ridgeway that area looks great. Here is a pic of a deer harvested over in Harrison county I think it was up by Ridgeway.

[file]8037[/file]

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
I have done quite a bit of hunting around Bethany. Great hunting to be had! Hunt it just like any other place...no special advice from here.

·
Banned
81,616 Posts
I have family with land near Bethany. My nephews have taken some really good bucks off the place. There are good numbers of deer up there too. I think your gonna enjoy the hunt up there.

:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Bethany

My brother-in-law and I just made a quick scouting trip out to Bethany to look at some potential hunting ground. I really liked what I saw. Hay, drainages, creeks, wooded draws with oaks, CRP, timber...

Does anyone have any insight on hunting pressure around Bethany? Being from Michigan, I'm used to 20 or more houses per square mile and as many, if not more, landowners. Are there many bowhunters up that way and what kind of pressure is put on during gun season? It seemed to me there was too much ground for the number of people/houses we saw??

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,499 Posts
Originally posted by budmandev
My brother-in-law and I just made a quick scouting trip out to Bethany to look at some potential hunting ground. I really liked what I saw. Hay, drainages, creeks, wooded draws with oaks, CRP, timber...

Does anyone have any insight on hunting pressure around Bethany? Being from Michigan, I'm used to 20 or more houses per square mile and as many, if not more, landowners. Are there many bowhunters up that way and what kind of pressure is put on during gun season? It seemed to me there was too much ground for the number of people/houses we saw??
Bow season won't be bad. More people will start coming in to bow hunt the closer it gets to rut. Gun season is a sea of orange just like it would've been back home for you. People come out of the woodwork.

Parker

·
Banned
81,616 Posts
Originally posted by budmandev

I'm sure that will depend on the landowner your hunting on and the surrounding landowners. You can usually count on public ground in areas with high deer densities and a history of good sized bucks drawing alot of hunters.

:cheers::cheers:

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,499 Posts
And I'm not saying that gun season is BAD....just be prepared that there's going to be a lot of people around. You're not going to be the only orange in the square mile.

Parker

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Originally posted by Parker Gun season is a sea of orange just like it would've been back home for you. People come out of the woodwork.

Parker
I don't know how it is in MI. But where I'm from in WI it is a constant barage of gunfire from sun-up til about noon on opening day. Since I have moved down here I am pleasantly shocked by the lack of shots I hear all season long and the few people I see wearing orange. I've had a few friends hunt with me the last couple of years and all of them just can't believe it. My daughter was doing a report on WI two years ago and she found a list of facts about the state. One was that " If you counted WI deer hunters as an army, it would be the 6th largest in the world.". :eek:

I hunt near Bethany and although the deer densities are lower here, there are still plenty of them and some large ones too.

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,499 Posts
Originally posted by JRNYRAVN
Originally posted by Parker Gun season is a sea of orange just like it would've been back home for you. People come out of the woodwork.

Parker
I don't know how it is in MI. But where I'm from in WI it is a constant barage of gunfire from sun-up til about noon on opening day. Since I have moved down here I am pleasantly shocked by the lack of shots I hear all season long and the few people I see wearing orange. I've had a few friends hunt with me the last couple of years and all of them just can't believe it. My daughter was doing a report on WI two years ago and she found a list of facts about the state. One was that " If you counted WI deer hunters as an army, it would be the 6th largest in the world.". :eek:

I hunt near Bethany and although the deer densities are lower here, there are still plenty of them and some large ones too.
I've got relatives from WI, and we have compared notes about this.

WI has a larger deer population than MO, but MO is pretty high on the list too, comparing it to the other 48 states.

I would guess he will have a similar experience to MI, but I have no doubt that the MO shooting is much less than what you experienced in WI. :cheers:

Parker

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.