Best steak ever

Discussion in 'Cast Iron/Campfire Cooking' started by RB., Oct 27, 2017.

1. RB.

RB. Senior Member

May 16, 2003
    warren county
    Picked up a couple small beef tenderloin steaks from Sam's on a special. Was going to grill them the other day and it was pouring down rain and windy. Decided to do them in the cast iron. Oiled the pan lightly and heated until the oil was just starting to smoke. Dropped the steaks in and the sizzle was on. after 3 minutes turned them over and began to baste with melted butter I put in the skillet. great crust and perfectly med rare. Might not ever grill them again. The butter basting is the trick.
    dw84 and radioactive like this.
  2. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Cast Iron on a gas stove is the best

3. JNH

JNH Member

Aug 3, 2017
    I have reverse seared them in cast iron by baking them in the oven and then searing them in our cast iron with butter, garlic cloves and a sprig or rosemary and they were superb!
    trailblazer75 likes this.
  4. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    I've grown pretty partial to these. USDA Prime bone in rib eyes reverse seared over charcoal.... IMG_20170902_183721582.jpg output.jpg
  5. radioactive

radioactive Active Hunter

Jan 25, 2012
    Sounds fantastic RB! Heck, cast iron magic even makes Trout somewhat edible:D
  6. bluecan

bluecan Long time listener, first time caller

It even has a convenient handle to hold while you eat it :D
    CRE10 likes this.
  7. itsb

itsb Senior Member

Dec 28, 2013
    Dent Co.
    thems look and sound good, man Im humgry
  8. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

S hot skillet and a steak makes yummy vittles. I think that's what I will have for dinner this evening.
  9. RB.

RB. Senior Member

May 16, 2003
    warren county
    It was so good we did another one Saturday night. forgot to take a picture but it was good. Great crust and perfect mid rare all the way through.
    Wings Fan 19 likes this.
  10. radioactive

radioactive Active Hunter

Jan 25, 2012
    Glad you repeated the feast with superb results! I usually only break out the cast iron when we go camping, but your steaks are making me want to fire up the big propane camp stove and toss a couple of ribeyes in the skillet!
    When you headed to Branson again?
  11. RB.

RB. Senior Member

May 16, 2003
    warren county
    Yep, I think I'm on to something with this and the wife loves it. We are going to try to get back down before December but not sure yet.