Best squirrel hunting close to springfield?

Discussion in 'Small Game' started by cerpindicular, Sep 12, 2017.

1. cerpindicular

cerpindicular Junior Member

Dec 12, 2016
    springfield
    I got a new squirrel rifle and a fist full .22 lr ammo. Are there any public areas in my neck of of the woods that squirrel guys prefer? Has to be close. With my work schedule I really only get to go out while my boys at school so have to be able to get back in time to pick him up. I got a few last year but how estly didn't see as many as I hoped for on the public land I used

2. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    Ok go to MDC Web Site down at the Bottom is Square Conservation Area hit it then Type in Green County.

Use to go to Pleasant Hope all the time. If you want the drive and make a day of it you could come to Lead Mine CA.

oneshot

:D If the Big Grin is with you its all good.

3. sticknmofish

sticknmofish Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Deep South MO
    Any area with hickory or walnut trees should be good right now. Maybe Bouis d arc ??

4. cerpindicular

Dec 12, 2016
    springfield
    Yeah I saw that pleasant hope according to mdc is supposed to have good squirrel and rabbit population. I got a late start today so ended up at little sac woods since I know the area well. Haven't seen anything yet. Found some good sign though. Wondering if it might be little on the windy side for today.

5. cerpindicular

Dec 12, 2016
    springfield
    My understanding is Bois darc is shotgun only. I'm sitting in a spot now that is dropping hickory and walnuts all over

6. sticknmofish

sticknmofish Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Deep South MO
    Really not sure about the regs on bois d arc I have only rabbit hunted it and that was several years ago. Might try corps land around Stockton

7. radioactive

radioactive Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2012
    It's a bit of a drive, but Hayes Spring CA is loaded with tree rats:wave1:

8. cerpindicular

Dec 12, 2016
    springfield
    Not my day. No squirrels sighted. Got pelted with falling acorns, walnuts, and hickory nuts. Just birds and butterflies all over. Struck out taking my son fishing after he got home from school to. Granted I didn't have a lot of time for either today

9. thh058

thh058 Active Member

May 12, 2005
    Jefferson County
    It's been my experience that this time of year, the first and last 3 or so hours of daylight are the best. Other than those hours, movement is minimal.

10. cerpindicular

Dec 12, 2016
    springfield
    Yeah I knew it was pretty late in the morning to go out the other day. It was more of an excuse for me to just go sit alone in the woods for awhile and relax