Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
19,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...and it's not even over yet!

Y'all have already heard about my Kansas hunt, and my hunt with Jack during the campout. Hunting with family & friends creates some great memories, and forges relationships even stronger. I can testify to that...

Just when I thought it couldn't get any better this season, my wife tells me she wants to go turkey hunting! She hasn't turkey hunted in years, so this request just about floored me.

Well, I wasn't about to tell her "No..."

Actually, I've been trying to get her to go hunting with me, for quite some time. After our fire in '98, she lost interest in hunting. Before that, she used to go hunting with me a lot, and on her own sometimes, too.

It wasn't just the fire ~ there were plenty of family issues that kept popping up, plus dealing with life on a daily basis, and then her back injury in '03, fighting with the insurance co. for 2 years, and then finally the major back surgery last year.

The day before yesterday (Friday), she was stressing out, and so was I. I was trying to figure out why our carpet steam cleaner all-of-a-sudden decided to quit working. I've been trying to figure it out for a week, and the wife was getting a bit impatient (a severe understatement), 'cause she has been wanting to clean the carpets.. I was just about to give it a flying lesson, when the wife told me, "Back away from the steam cleaner..." Fine with me ~ I need to go mow the yard anyways.

I get ready to go mow, and the riding mower won't start. No big deal ~ I have one of those rechargeable power packs that has jumper cables (bought just for this type of occasions). I get it all hooked up, and it barely has enough juice to turn the engine over ~ but not enough to get 'er started. :mad2:

The wife saw that I was about to blow a gasket, so she came over to me, put her arms around me, and says..."We need to go hunting..."

Well ~ she didn't have to tell me twice. I always look forward to us hunting together... :D

Finally got the mower started, and got the yard mowed, which ONLY took 4 1/2 hours. Now I have to find some extra camo & gear for the wife to hunt with me in the morning. Since I wasn't planning on hunting in the first place, I ended up staying up all night, getting prepared. I woke her at 4am, and we were in the blind by 5:30am.

Once legal shooting time arrived, I called softly a few times. No gobbling in our area, so I called a little louder. I heard a gobble, but it was about 1/4 to 1/2 mile away... :frown:

Oh well ~ I was having a great time anyways, and I could tell by the :D on my wife's face, so was she. The stress had melted away ~ obviously.

The gobbling had stopped around 6:30am. A couple of coyote's had cruised through the strutting zone we were hunting, around 6:45am, and a fox came within 30 yards, checking out our decoys, about 9:30am. We stayed until around 12:30 anyways, since we hadn't hunted together for some time.

After we returned to the house, she said she wanted to get back into hunting, because we always have a great time whether we tag some game or not, and she really misses it.

I've only been waiting to hear this, for about 7-8 years... :banana:

The first pic is of the wife making a food-run, once we realized we forgot to eat anything before heading out. We were just a tad excited about hunting together, and we also forgot to pack some lunch.

The second pic is of the closest thing resembling turkeys that we saw Saturday morning ~ turkey buzzards.

And the 3rd pic is of me, in my new camo bibs the wife bought me... :wave:

Meals On Wheels

Turkey Buzzards

New Bibs!

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
Rick, glad ta see you and Kem got out. Man is it green down there. I like the turkey buzzard roost pic too.:eek: And ya never know when one of dem crazy Toms will make it over to your place.;)

Jack:cheers::cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
Great job Chairman - sounds like ya got a huntin' buddy back.

nice pics

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
Looks like good times ahead for Chairman!!!! And ya gotta love those new bibbies!!!!!

·
Retired
9,542 Posts
:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:
Sometimes the important as well as the simple things that make life worth while are right in front of us all the times!

·
19,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah ~ the turkey hunting bug has bit me hard ~ and obviously, the wife too! :cheers:

She did tag along on a rifle deer hunt last year, but it just so happened that day was high winds & rain, which blew directly into our blind. She didn't want much more of that, so that was the one & only time she hunted with me last year.

I didn't think I'd ever get her to go hunting with me again ~ until now.

And you're right, PMan ~ the important as well as the simple things that make life worth while are right in front of us...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.