Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
441 - 460 of 556 Posts

·
Vendor
64,802 Posts

·
Vendor
64,802 Posts
Now if you can get 70s level quail why can't there be 90s level turkeys on properties?
Wait, were quail a reintroduced species?

We do have those levels of turkeys in our area. Especially since we didnt have large numbers until the 2000s. Our county was the last one to be restored. Our county has killed a higher total each of the last 5 years. Lot of habitat there.

·
Registered
694 Posts
The field borders is what instigated the LAWS program. That was the very first habitat program we enrolled in. That was back before they even had a private lands division.
I've still got a LAWS coffee mug they gave us for enrolling in that program.;)

·
Vendor
64,802 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Thats all my family hunted for decades. I think they would know...
I would go along just to see this but I almost garentee you don't have anywhere close to the 70s levels. I grew up in a quail hunting family used a single shot 410 when I started hunting them.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Wait, were quail a reintroduced species?

We do have those levels of turkeys in our area. Especially since we didnt have large numbers until the 2000s. Our county was the last one to be restored. Our county has killed a higher total each of the last 5 years. Lot of habitat there.
Ok if you think you have any of those level of birds you must honestly be on some special meds.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Since you spew so much bs! How many flocks of 500+ turkeys do you see in your county during the winter. I honestly bet there is not one flock in your county that size. I used to drive 10 miles and see 1000s regularly.

·
Biology nit wit exposer
81,122 Posts
I didn’t see where google said fall covey are 0-5 and spring are much higher.
0-5 coveys would be poor production. Probably hatched in a dumpster fire and only part of them made it out.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Sounds like your area hasn't even approached the Golden mean then and you haven't seen the population crash like much of the state has.

·
Vendor
64,802 Posts
Sounds like your area hasn't even approached the Golden mean then and you haven't seen the population crash like much of the state has.
We peaked around 2004. We had a pretty good decline in the late 2000s just like the rest of N MO.

·
Vendor
64,802 Posts
Ok if you think you have any of those level of birds you must honestly be on some special meds.
You realize that different counties had different restoration timelines, right??

For someone that spews so much nonsense about turkeys in MO you really dont have any idea about the history.

·
Vendor
64,802 Posts
Since you spew so much bs! How many flocks of 500+ turkeys do you see in your county during the winter. I honestly bet there is not one flock in your county that size. I used to drive 10 miles and see 1000s regularly.
How is this possible??? Same exact spot both game cam pics....

The other pics are 2018....
Screenshot_20210722-081222_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20210722-081148_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20210722-080343_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20210722-080242_Photos.jpg

·
Registered
599 Posts
Haha them are not the numbers they were back then.

Here is a history note you may like in 1952 I had a hen nesting on my place before restoration ever started.

·
Under appreciated
88,056 Posts
We had good winter flocks as recent as 15 and 16 also. They have dropped by 2/3rd now.
Winter flock surveys are easy ways to quantify populations.

·
Vendor
64,802 Posts
Fyi I'm not sure Missouri has rios like in your picture!!!! Nice try with your BS!!!!!!!!
I didnt say that pic was from Missouri. I said it was a bunch of raccoons and a bunch of young turkeys in the same spot. HABITAT.

·
Vendor
64,802 Posts
We had good winter flocks as recent as 15 and 16 also. They have dropped by 2/3rd now.
Winter flock surveys are easy ways to quantify populations.
And nothing changes that quickly other than weather.

441 - 460 of 556 Posts