Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
421 - 440 of 556 Posts

·
Vendor
64,802 Posts
video to picture says differently, but that is okay that Henry's turkey brrods are larger sized than your quail broods, makes sense with less predators around! I joogled - average quail eggs - 12-16 eggs and turkey average eggs is 4-17
Thats a fall covey genius.

·
Vendor
64,802 Posts
I counted 5, but surely there were 25 as his habitat would be the higher side of the average!!! But, all kidding aside, cheers on a handful of quail!!
You are obviously blind.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Is Maconplc referencing one study there? I’m curious the context that pull quote is from. Looks to be a post on here from 10 years ago??
Effect of field borders and nest-predator reduction on abundance of northern bobwhites (bioone.org)

This is the abstract from the study referenced. This study was done in North Carolina. MDC was constantly referencing this study several years back, pushing field borders. This study is very anecdotal, because the only support for their fall quail numbers was whistle counts, predator numbers weren't indexed to find out what their actual density was, and farms weren't rotated after a few years to see if changing applications on different farms yielded the same result. Nevertheless, they still showed the highest densities occurred when habitat improvement and predator control were both applied. Where have you heard that before?

·
Biology nit wit exposer
81,122 Posts
The field borders is what instigated the LAWS program. That was the very first habitat program we enrolled in. That was back before they even had a private lands division.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Ok some of you guys may be able to help me on this. Is 127 ***** caught on the edge of one corn field(30ac) in a couple days to high of **** density?

·
Registered
599 Posts
And hawk I would like to ask what the population density of ***** are in the different habitats of South dakota. I'm sure its not equal across the whole state or habitat types.

·
Biology nit wit exposer
81,122 Posts
And hawk I would like to ask what the population density of * are in the different habitats of South dakota. I'm sure its not equal across the whole state or habitat types.
Raccoons are usually at low densities in prairies.

·
Vendor
64,802 Posts
Effect of field borders and nest-predator reduction on abundance of northern bobwhites (bioone.org)

This is the abstract from the study referenced. This study was done in North Carolina. MDC was constantly referencing this study several years back, pushing field borders. This study is very anecdotal, because the only support for their fall quail numbers was whistle counts, predator numbers weren't indexed to find out what their actual density was, and farms weren't rotated after a few years to see if changing applications on different farms yielded the same result. Nevertheless, they still showed the highest densities occurred when habitat improvement and predator control were both applied. Where have you heard that before?
Sure, they probably used that one... along with all the others that show the EXACT same thing.

·
Vendor
64,802 Posts
Ok some of you guys may be able to help me on this. Is 127 * caught on the edge of one corn field(30ac) in a couple days to high of **** density?
No.

·
Vendor
64,802 Posts
Your little video was not 1970s quail numbers in my opinion of what you showed.
Ill take a video sitting in a late winter food plot again sometime when they are piling in.

·
Vendor
64,802 Posts
Raccoons are usually at low densities in prairies.
They would have to be at about 2 per sq mile for it to have a chance of helping.

·
Vendor
64,802 Posts
I didn’t see where google said fall covey are 0-5 and spring are much higher.
No idea what 0-5 has to do with anything since there were like 20 birds in that group.

·
Vendor
64,802 Posts
Ya, we know that MO predator/coin numbers are outta whack!!!
No, they arent. You just dont want to actually do the work to fix the ground you hunt. Of course you dont even trap.... just whine, whine, whine.....

·
Registered
22,019 Posts
No, they arent. You just dont want to actually do the work to fix the ground you hunt. Of course you dont even trap.... just whine, whine, whine.....
See that is the problem, only an idiot would consider ***** numbers anything but extremely high!

421 - 440 of 556 Posts