Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Banned
66,381 Posts
Wsg and edge feathering. Id love to do woodland fire but everyone else is scared...

· Registered
32,087 Posts
Make it quit raining.

When I talked to the MDC biologist he said tsi was better than feathering because the thick areas were scattered around whereas the predators would just follow the edge and thus find more of the nests. He worded it more eloquently though.

Reactions: Wings Fan 19

· Banned
66,381 Posts
Are recent (past 10 years) Spring temps and rainfall amounts really that much different than normal?
I think they have been. Maybe not overall averages but the extremes, yes.

Reactions: watermen

· Banned
81,617 Posts
Chainsaw . Mainly rotational logging and cedar cuts with tsi mixed in as well.

· Banned
66,381 Posts

· Banned
66,381 Posts

· Banned
81,617 Posts
Are recent (past 10 years) Spring temps and rainfall amounts really that much different than normal?
Record flooding in 93 and 95. A blizzard on easter weekend in the early 70s. Average annual temperatures and rainfall about the same . And our state turkey biologist saying weather probably isnt the production driver they once thought it was. Its not likely climate change. :D

· Banned
66,381 Posts
Record flooding in 93 and 95. A blizzard on easter weekend in the early 70s. Average annual temperatures and rainfall about the same . And our state turkey biologist saying weather probably isnt the production driver they once thought it was. Its not likely climate change. :D
Every scientist and meteorologist that has studied it says the climate has changed over the last 60 years, but yeah, it makes no difference according to the Orscheln man....

Thats not what our biologist said....

· Banned
66,381 Posts
What exactly does the average temperature from July to February have to do with turkey production

· Registered
6,911 Posts
MY FARM IS HABITAT ON TOP OF HABITAT , THE WORK AND REWORKING IS NEVER DONE. The number one thing that habitat brings is lots pf predators looking for a meal.
When sitting up a management plan it has been suggested that the most bang for the buck can be had by addressing the habitat variable that is most in need.
The bad at my north Missouri farm was like it is in most of north east Missouri was a racoon population density many times higher then the standard ,can deal with 30 racoon per square mile. Whether the racoon were 300 or 600 or higher , 30 years of no working plan of population control had made the racoon the constant variable which was destroying the turkey hatch in even the best 3 years in a roll weather wise in nemo.
SURE LOTS OF THINGS CAN EFFECT TURKEY BUT WHAT HAS BROUGHT US TO THIS POINT WHERE MISSOURI HAS LOST 80 PERCENT AND WHERE WE HAVE A CLEAR 30 YEAR RECORD OF LOWER AND LOWER TURKEY RECRUITMENT NUMBER THAT ARE IN LOCK STEP WITH THE INCREASING RACOON POPULATION .
The most damming thing to the naysayers is the immediate rise in turkey production numbers back to the time when the racoon was being controlled. We have no great environmental resistance , turkey have not eaten themselves out of a home, the varied habitat of northern Missouri can still produce turkey like no where else but the constant and constantly increasing variable destroying diversity in our fields and woods is the out of control, pest,into everything , property damaging, egg sucking,diversity destroying, racoon.
The out of control racoon up here is destroying diversity and spreading disease risk for no good reason. Even the bobcat is affected by the out of control racoon. The Hazelville cats feed there kits 2 rabbits and a squirrel each day. The dang racoon are stealing the nuts which effects the squirrel which effects the bobcat.

· Banned
66,381 Posts
MY FARM IS HABITAT ON TOP OF HABITAT , THE WORK AND REWORKING IS NEVER DONE. The number one thing that habitat brings is lots pf predators looking for a meal.
When sitting up a management plan it has been suggested that the most bang for the buck can be had by addressing the habitat variable that is most in need.
The bad at my north Missouri farm was like it is in most of north east Missouri was a racoon population density many times higher then the standard ,can deal with 30 racoon per square mile. Whether the racoon were 300 or 600 or higher , 30 years of no working plan of population control had made the racoon the constant variable which was destroying the turkey hatch in even the best 3 years in a roll weather wise in nemo.
SURE LOTS OF THINGS CAN EFFECT TURKEY BUT WHAT HAS BROUGHT US TO THIS POINT WHERE MISSOURI HAS LOST 80 PERCENT AND WHERE WE HAVE A CLEAR 30 YEAR RECORD OF LOWER AND LOWER TURKEY RECRUITMENT NUMBER THAT ARE IN LOCK STEP WITH THE INCREASING RACOON POPULATION .
The most damming thing to the naysayers is the immediate rise in turkey production numbers back to the time when the racoon was being controlled. We have no great environmental resistance , turkey have not eaten themselves out of a home, the varied habitat of northern Missouri can still produce turkey like no where else but the constant and constantly increasing variable destroying diversity in our fields and woods is the out of control, pest,into everything , property damaging, egg sucking,diversity destroying, racoon.
The out of control racoon up here is destroying diversity and spreading disease risk for no good reason. Even the bobcat is affected by the out of control racoon. The Hazelville cats feed there kits 2 rabbits and a squirrel each day. The dang racoon are stealing the nuts which effects the squirrel which effects the bobcat.

· Registered
1,610 Posts
If a said property has much mature and over mature timber you can house a lot of **** and possum in a section. I trap over 30 every year right behind my barn just to keep them from becoming a nuisance. Last year I installed termite bait station and they where possessed with digging them up to just to ornery.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.