Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
8,049 Posts
Stockton is horrible. I would not go there. Lake of Ozarks is your best bet.

2,846 Posts
The answer kind of depends on where your primary residence is because a four hour drive home after a long weekend of sun and fun gets old. When I was a kid growing up we had a place on the Gravois arm of LOZ. We were at the mouth of Indian creek just around the corner from Fred's if any of you remember where that was. My brother in laws family had a place next to ours. We sold ours in the late 80's because it was getting so rough there you couldn't hardly fish there. My brother in law held out until the mid 2000's when his 32' well craft got too small to handle the waves. Around 2010 we started going to the Warsaw end of the lake and took a step back in time to our fun days at the lake. We liked it so much that my parents own a couple of houses there and my wife and I bought a large chunk of lakefront and built and sold a couple of spec homes. We still have a lot for sale in that development. That end of the lake is more river channel like and has some shallow areas so you don't have the big boat traffic like on the east end. The fishing is great for bass, catfish, crappie, walleye and spoonbill. Warsaw has some great restaurants a Walmart, Orschelns, and there are some great night spots around the area. You are also right on Truman lake there as well. We keep a boat on a trailer so if the bite is hot on Truman we can fish it as well. Some great stripers caught there. If you are coming from the east side and want somewhere in the middle I have a waterfront lot I would sell at the 63mm in rainy creek. It is outside of climax springs. It is on deep water in the back of rainy creek so protected from the main channel waves. The ability to own lakefront makes Lake of the Ozarks pretty attractive.

· Banned
24,478 Posts
Stockton is horrible. I would not go there. Lake of Ozarks is your best bet.
What's wrong with Stockton? It's peaceful and the water is clean.

At least it's not polluted like Grand Lake from the 50 thousand houses and trailers whose septic system leaches into the lake plus lots of SE KS and SW MO dump their treated wastewater into it. Yuck!!

· Registered
8,049 Posts
What's wrong with Stockton? It's peaceful and the water is clean.

At least it's not polluted like Grand Lake from the 50 thousand houses and trailers whose septic system leaches into the lake plus lots of SE KS and SW MO dump their treated wastewater into it. Yuck!!
SHHHHH!

· www.fowlfocustaxidermy.com
3,270 Posts
The reason I said Lake of the Ozarks is because you said “weekend fishing house”. Kids and wives get pretty impatient waiting in the car while boats are being hooked up to the vehicle, launched, put back on the trailer and then unhooked again.

In my personal experience, having a boat sitting on a lift right outside of your lakefront house is about as stress free and hassle free as it gets. It allows for more time being spent on the water and together with the family in general.

The inventory of lakefront homes with docks at Truman, Pomme, and Mark Twain is non-existent. So you’ll be trailering every time you wanna go out on the water. But if you got a patient family that gets involved in the whole process of trailering a boat then it’s a non-issue.

LOZ also has a lot of other things to do off of the lake that people of any age can enjoy.

· Land buying addiction
13,978 Posts
I chose MTL because it’s an hour drive rather than a 3-4 hr drive. A lot of factors for me was maintaining the property. If I don’t plan on using it for a month I can drive up cut the grass and head back home. I wanted a place at the ozarks but the drive time killed it for me. I have a place I can use all year around hunt in the cold months boat in he warm months I don’t like having a property that I only use part of the year.

· Don't mind me
10,379 Posts
I chose MTL because it's an hour drive rather than a 3-4 hr drive. A lot of factors for me was maintaining the property. If I don't plan on using it for a month I can drive up cut the grass and head back home. I wanted a place at the ozarks but the drive time killed it for me. I have a place I can use all year around hunt in the cold months boat in he warm months I don't like having a property that I only use part of the year.
I see what you're saying, but the winter time fishing at LOZ is some of the best fishing down there! MTL is pretty hit and miss for fishing compared to LOZ.

· Land buying addiction
13,978 Posts
I see what you're saying, but the winter time fishing at LOZ is some of the best fishing down there! MTL is pretty hit and miss for fishing compared to LOZ.
If I just wanted to fish LOZ is where I would probaly go. I want an all around place. I did look at buying a place at the loz that was 100 acres and a tip touched the lake with a dock it just ended up being to far.

· www.fowlfocustaxidermy.com
3,270 Posts
If I just wanted to fish LOZ is where I would probaly go. I want an all around place. I did look at buying a place at the loz that was 100 acres and a tip touched the lake with a dock it just ended up being to far.
There's 85 acres with a 4000 square foot cabin, shooting range, 500' of lakefront and a lakeside guest cabin right by our place. And it can be had for the low low price of $700,000.

But yeah, if I was already up 61 somewhere, it would've been hard to buy down at LOz. But I'm a c-hair over 2 hours door to door so I can't complain too much. And the boats sitting there ready to go at the flip of a switch.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.