Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best deer attractant that that will suplement antler growth. Im getting a trail camera soon and i need something that will attract the deer to the spot and get them bigger. What do you think???

·
Registered
9,696 Posts
This time of year you should have alot of luck over salt and mineral. Of course I say that and I still haven't taken any trail cam pics yet this year, but I took alot last year over this kind of setup

·
5,631 Posts
How are you telling for sure that they are doe tracks?

I like Old Spice.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I can't really tell the hoof print difference in the sand, mud, dirt or other soft ground. So, I lay out dozens of black ink stamp pads all over the game trails and then place sheets of white copy paper further down the trail so I can read the hoof prints and match them up to the hoof guide I have. However, my father-in-law says I have a very keen eye for tracking animals. He says I must be part Indian, because I can tell the difference between a cow, horse, and deer print in the soft ground.

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

·
Registered
835 Posts
On a serious note, I have't had much luck with the mineral mix that was posted here. I have had some luck with salt blocks, but the best luck with a deer block which contains corn etc. I buy those at a feed store outside Bonne Terre.

·
5,631 Posts
You can't always rely on those prints. Especially depending on whether the ground is soft or hard.

·
Registered
9,696 Posts
Originally posted by buckbuster14
it has been soft for about a week. but a doe's print is usually rounded and the toes on the front dont spread out like a bucks do. Thats how you can tell on hard ground.
That is how I also try to tell the difference between tracts. If the salt/mineral isn't working for you a guy was in my office the other day that said he puts out some of that apple flavored corn from orschelns and the deer just tear it up. I am not sure if there is much mineral in it but he said it's good for attracting them in an area to get some pics.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Dig a shallow hole about 3 or 4 feet wide and mix loose salt in with the dirt. The deer eat the dirt with the salt in it. You can add some trace mineral with the salt.
Then throw corn all over the place around it about every 1 or 2 weeks, depending on how fast they eat the corn.
This will help them find the salt lick and the deer will continue useing the lick after the corn is gone.
Quit throwing the corn down around August if you plan on bow hunting in mid September.
Don't want to get nailed for baiting. Good luck and make sure you post some pics!!!

Oh and I have mixed many blends of attractants with the salt. But always made salt the main ingredient.

·
Registered
38,303 Posts
Use the mineral mix/salt mix from that is mentioned here on other threads....IT WORKS....you don't have time to look at all the pics I have from one of these mineral licks!!!!! And believe me...put that camera out on that lick, you'll see bucks....I think you have somewhat been misled on the whole track thing....Yea, a big heavy bodied buck will leave dewclaw tracks in soft ground, maybe even hard ground if he's movin right along...but every rounded track with no dewclaws ain't always a doe!!!!! Use the mineral mix, you won't be sorry.

·
Under appreciated
92,555 Posts
Bucks AND does bofe have dewclaws..

Which a-way those tracks are headed is good info also, if you find fresh ones.;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.