Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking to bring my kids down there in a few weeks for some camping and trout fishing. I was wondering how well rooster tails work up here? In Georgia they work pretty good but I’ve never had a chance to trout fish up here. I actually just found out that there were trout in Missouri a few weeks ago lol. Also, does anyone know how flooded that area is? I know a lot up north is under water. Thanks guys!

· Registered
2,096 Posts
Sure they do. Along with minnows, velveeta cheese, canned corn, plastic worms, flies, etc.
Hatchery rainbows will eat anything, when they want to. And sometimes you can throw everything but the kitchen sink and they won't even look at it.

Don't know about the flooding though.

· Registered
8,049 Posts
Be in a hole when the buzzer goes off. You can catch them on anything. FYI check the regulations as you can only use certain baits in different sections of the park.

· Registered
21,445 Posts
Be in a hole when the buzzer goes off. You can catch them on anything. FYI check the regulations as you can only use certain baits in different sections of the park.
Above advice is good. When fishing with kids and inexperienced adults, it really helps to fish when the opening siren goes off. Rooster tails are good, especially the first hour or so. Don't be afraid to move if you aren't getting action in the area you are fishing. Some spots are better than others. Single hook rooster tails seem to work better and can also be fished in zone 1 as well as 2.
How old are the kids and how much fishing have they done? Zone 3 is for natural bait including power bait, cheese, etc. and sometimes works better if you and the kids don't have waders or a lot of experience with the area.

NoLuck, please don't hate on me for mentioning zone 3 bait area. :peep: :D

· Registered
4,019 Posts
No harm no foul,GG. I don’t care how people fish as long as it’s legal and with respect to other anglers. People evolve in their pursuit of any game. Start one way and switch to other methods. Some people even resort back to primitive methods. Do whatever makes you happy.

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We will probably go to the natural bait area. My kids are 10,7,7. They've been fishing by themselves since about 5 years old. Since it will be a new experience for all of us i think that may be best. Thanks for the advice!

· Registered
8,049 Posts
We will probably go to the natural bait area. My kids are 10,7,7. They've been fishing by themselves since about 5 years old. Since it will be a new experience for all of us i think that may be best. Thanks for the advice!
Also 4lb Tess line will help.

Reactions: Clucker

· Registered
4,019 Posts
Also 4lb Tess line will help.
A lot of people tell you 2lb test. But I've found 3lb to be the best compromise between 2 and 4. Most people don't know how to use the reels drag correctly to use 2lb test. 3 is a little more forgiving. Maxima Ultra Green is my go to on a spinning rod. Or at least it's what I used to use for trout. Now I only use it for crappie and small mouth.

· Registered
13,104 Posts
You will spend a lot of time helping your kids out but try Zekes or Power Bait (try different colors - it can make a difference) with just enough to cover a small treble hook with just enough split shot weights about a foot or so above the hook so it bounces slowly along the bottom. The advantage to this style of fishing is that the trout will swallow it and the kids chances of catching them go way up. With 3 younguns you'll need plenty of hooks sinkers and bait.

· Registered
2,096 Posts
You will spend a lot of time helping your kids out but try Zekes or Power Bait (try different colors - it can make a difference) with just enough to cover a small treble hook with just enough split shot weights about a foot or so above the hook so it bounces slowly along the bottom. The advantage to this style of fishing is that the trout will swallow it and the kids chances of catching them go way up. With 3 younguns you'll need plenty of hooks sinkers and bait.
Agree 100%. Minnows, salmon eggs, power bait, zeke's or homemade cheese bait.
Early in the morning at whistle time I've gotten away with 6# line. Once the sun hits the water I switch to 3#.
We always put a swivel in the line 18 " up from the hook and weights when fishing the natural bait area.It helps eliminate line twist especially in the little bit swifter water than the long slow stretches like Suzy Hole. Cast upstream a bit and follow the line downstream with the rod tip. Lots of hits when starting to reel back slowly are common.
Wish I was coming with you.
You'll have a ball.

· Banned
8,176 Posts
Use the roostertails ...go 30 yrds or so above the trout hatchery outlet pipes ..Theres a nice gravel bar in the shade too ......Your kids are old enough for the roosters

· Registered
21,512 Posts
The water right now is great but they are calling for rain.

I went just below the Park and was catching them on Nightcrawlers. Hook them just couple times let them move.

oneshot

:D The Big Grin is up the hill.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.