Benneli nova?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by TomGallopavo, Feb 27, 2006.

1. My brother was visiting this weekend and we patterned his nova. With a full choke it didn't do well past 20 yards. What do you owners use in yours? Undertaker? And what shot/brand do you like with the tube? Of course we'll have to repeat the patterning, shoulder willing. Thanks

2. stinkpickle

stinkpickle New Member

Dec 7, 2004
    If you are in a hurry, I'd suggest jumping onto the message board at http://www.nwtf.org . There are a lot of Nova users there.

3. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    i have a nova and use the factory full with 3 inch winchester number 5's i couldn't ask for any thing any better

4. i have a nova and use the factory full with 3 inch winchester number 5's i couldn't ask for any thing any better

That's odd, we used 3 inchers in # 4, 5, and 6's and also 3.5's. The #4 patterned best at 20 yards but when we moved to 30 yards he was getting 3 or so bb's in the kill zone while my 835 was getting 14 or so at 40 yards....His shots were dead center o9f the pattern, it was just huge.

5. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    oh man guess that is just proof of why one needs to pattern a gun

if your pattern was fairly even with no huge holes i would say move to another choke tube for sure.

i have heard great things about the nova and the comp-n-choke of course every gun is different.

as long as the pattern is even and no holes you can move tigher once it gets so tight the shot is banging off its self and causeing holes in the pattern you need to back off on the choke or load.

best of luck

6. ArrowJumper

ArrowJumper New Member

Feb 13, 2006
    St. Elizabeth, MO
    I have a Nova and I had the same problem with it and I shoot Winchester Supreme #5's in 3 1/2", but once I put a Primos TightWad .665 in it I was getting 25 to 30 bb's in the kill zone at 40 yds and the wad was hitting the target.

7. Skduckhunt

Skduckhunt Senior Member

Dec 29, 2002
    St. Charles, Mo
    a buddy has a Nova and used a MADMAX turkey choke---ITS plain deadly....

8. X Bow T

X Bow T Original Cafe'Member

Nov 21, 2002
    N & S of the MO
    Had a Nova that worked great with Federal Flightcontrol's #5 through a Primos Tightwad Xtra Full $20 choke.

It's the wad that makes the difference.