Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

Being Scent Free??

1K views 25 replies 22 participants last post by  Gutpile 
#1 ·
How many many go as far as to have seperate Underwear,Socks,Bath Towel,and Wash Cloth for Hunting.

oneshot
:D The Big Grin is just a Little Stinker :fart:

#2 ·
I do every time I go in the woods..........can't be to careful!

I have found that Mossy Oak works best on my underwear.

#4 ·
I do.....I wash all of my clothes in Arm and Hammer washing soda, and I bathe with Ivory soap......cheap man's scent free stuff.

Oh.....and my 'stealth dust' is a box of arm and hammer baking soda that I wipe or spray on myself......

Parker

#5 ·
I wash all of my clothes then throw them into a bag with dirt scented wafers. They go back in the bag after every hunt. If I sweat a lot I wash them before they go into the bag. I also have a large Rubbermaid box I throw cedar limbs into if I am hunting in cedars. I've been winded too many times to count. Them deers have good noses.;) I only hunt from ground blinds anymore so I don't worry as much about my scent as I did in treestands. But you still need to be conscious of your scent trail to and from your hunt location.

Jack

#6 ·
I have a similar regiment as JackJr. I also been winded too many times to count, so, I take every precaution that I can. I found the biggest help is plan your access into your stand and hunt with the wind in your favor. I don’t believe you can BS the wind.

#7 ·
I use seperate towels and use scent free anti microbial soaps, store my stuff in a water proof bag with dirt smellin wafers and some dirt from the area I hunt, change on site. The only change I am going make this year is try some of the home made scent killer ya'll been talking about and spray that on before and after reaching the stand and once every now and again while on stand. I use skunk urine on my boots too.

I try and BS the wind by going high enough, 20+ feet.

I can't say I have been winded alot, but been busted on movement too many times to count.

#8 ·
Most of the days I was winded up high in a stand was with swhirling winds. That's when a good scent control really pays off.

Jack

#10 ·
Well it seems about 3/4 of the days I'm out there we have swirling winds.:whinging: If you hunt valley or river bottoms you are about guaranteed swirling winds.

Jack

#11 ·
I wash all my hunting clothes, including socks, underwear, etc... in scent free soaps. I also wash my towel in the same stuff. Problem is when i decide at the last minute to go hunt right after work, I'm probably not already wearing my dirt scented underwear or socks, and i probably didn't shower in my dirt soap before I came to work, so sometimes it's impossible to be that strict witht he scent free stuff. I just try and spray down really well after I get out of the truck on those occasions. On weekends, when i have time to prepare, I follow a strict scent free regimen. Do what you can, when you can...

(ever had a dirt scented fart?) :fart:

#12 ·
Even though my wife and I are both sensitive to detergent ingredients and only use the no-scent and dye stuff, I still separate all my hunting clothes from the rest of the laundry. Everything stays in a sealed tub until I put it on in the field.

#15 ·
I like to get my camo on and fry up a big batch of onion rings first thing in the morning before I go out..

Either that, or wear my camo all night round the fire til bout 2am the night before.:bangin:

#16 ·
I wash all cloths with scent killer detergent then put cloths in scent free bag,then in morning before i go out i put on bottom layer of cloths then after i get outside of car,house or whatever last thing that has any human scent i put on other layers,spraying everything with scent killer as i go.Usually have pretty good luck,really have only gotten busted from movement.

#20 ·
you know I use to be a scent free freak, then after I went to coyote hunter's house and seen all the Monster's he had hanging on his wall, and asked him what kind of scent control he used and he:hysterical: and said I don't use it. Yote said I play the wind game, well had all those mature whitetails not been hanging right in front of my face I would have swore he was a liar, but I can tell you this, I'm going to continue using scent free clothes and drag rags, but from now on I'm going to be spending alot more time playing the wind then I would've in the past, and with any luck I will get to call yote sometime this fall and get my pic on his wall of fame with all the other lucky people! :cheers:

#21 ·
I'm with rat. i don't do much. In fact the biggest buck I've killed I had a cigarette in one hand and a snickers in the other. Heck my buddy had several bow shots last year and got a real nice one, all of them he had to set his cigar down to grab his bow.:confused:

#22 ·
There's one funny thing about all of this that alot of people don't think about. We all wash our clothes and shower with "special" soaps. I wonder what all those deer think about the smell of gun oil? No matter how hard you try you'll never get that smell off of a gun. I always wonder if they pick up on it. Chris

#23 ·
I wash my scentlock suit in washer only once for archery and once for gun season (strut wash)if not visibly muddy or sweaty from a recovery. I put that suit, scentlock backpack rubber boots and safety harness in one hs strut green bag and my clothes ,outer and inner washed in strut wash in another bag.
I climb out of the truck, go to my underwear, dont care what the temp (or the shrinkage) and put on my clothes outside of the truck and spray with a earth scent spray.
The colder it is outside the quicker the clothes go on.
I spray clothes, backpack and bow.
I walk real slow to the stand.
Up until this point I havent been visibly winded by a deer (nock on my wood desk!)

#24 ·
I think a lot of it is hooey. I don't own any scent-lok or scent shield clothing. To avoid adding unwanted odors Before the season i wash my clothes in Earth scented soap, keep them in a tub with some earth scented wafers, and spray down with some Earth Scent spray when heading afield.

I love to watch the Dream Season and Drury videos and how they stress "scent control" and how great scent shield is....They even say "Forget the wind and just hunt". But how often do you hear them say " that buck got my wind and took off"

#25 ·
I do the same as Gutpile for the clothes thing and spraying myself down. I've been eating lunch in my tree stand and have deer walk under my stand and they never knew I was around. I just make sure I get up in the tree 20 ft or better. And as far as the wind, I dont pay any attention to it. Ever watch a camp fire? The smoke will go in every direction at some time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.