beginner - any good magazines, videos, books, etc?

Discussion in 'Whitetails General' started by bigredhusker, Mar 1, 2006.

1. bigredhusker

bigredhusker Member

Jan 25, 2006
    Liberty Missouri
    that you recommend for the beginning deer hunter. I plan on hunting during rifle and maybe muzzleloader this year. The one thing that I haven't seem to get a good hand is is field dressing. Ive done a few small animals, but not many, and nothing like a deer. Any good basic videos?

2. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    I've said this a hundred times on here, and I think that Chairman is the only one that's taken me up on it, but if you are seriously wanting to get into strategies for deer hunting, you need to get a subscription to "Deer Hunting Strategies". Its a little expensive, but worth it.

I also read Field and Stream, and Bowhunter. The other magazines that I have subscriptions to, I'm not going to reccommend.

As for deer hunting videos, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Truth series videos from the Primos boys.

3. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

I believe somebody on here this past fall, mentioned a field dressing video....I've seen undressing video's before, but those are different...As far as magazines I read, North American Whitetail and Traditional Bowhunter (which is the If you've field dressed small animals, you'll do fine on a's just a bigger gut pile!!! Just take your time.
  4. Bronco Brian

Bronco Brian New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Georgetown, MN
    I agree w/Fireman, If you can dress a rabbit you can do a deer-actually it a little easier as everything is larger. Dont worry about messing up the first time(there is a lot of folks around that have been deer hunting for years and still arent really good at it).
    As for learning to hunt-Just spend time practicing shooting what ever your going to hunt, Hunt upwind and have fun. You may never get the chance at a Record Book Buck-but most of us wont.
  5. leaker19

leaker19 New Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Cooper County
    That's true. I've had lots of folks dress my deer over the years and I'm greatful for all of them, but I am always amazed at the differences in styles, techniques, results, tools etc. I've had some real surgeons and some real Jack the Rippers.
  6. kcraider21

kcraider21 New Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Belton, MO
    I subscribe to North American Whitetail and Deer and Deer Hunting magazines, both are pretty good. I'm sure you could do a surch on the internet and find some helpful information on field dressing and maybe with some diagrams. Some good bucks might be The Deer Hunters Bible, Proven Whitetail Tactics and Mapping Trophy Bucks. Hope this helps.
  7. Hoytshooter

Hoytshooter Active Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Small Buck, MO
    The best whitetail videos I have from an educational perspective are a several part series by Gene and Barry Wensel back in the 80s. I'll agree with Parker that the Primos Truth series gets my vote for the best on the market now, with the Drury boys coming in second.
    As for field dressing, the best way to learn in my opinion is to watch someone that knows what they're doing once then have at it, preferably with someone who knows along with you in case you have a question. After one or two you'll have no problems.
  8. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    And if someone tells you they know how to do it, but at the end of the dressing, they have blood up to their elbows and someone else do it next time. :D

9. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Bowhunter mag, North American Whitetail are my 2 top choices for reading material and videos above although in light of recent events I may swear off of them.

Parker is right if the person has as much blood on them as the deer does ask for a different teacher !
  10. Boogan1

Boogan1 Senior Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Blue Springs, MO