Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
King of Callaway
42,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It all started one rainy afternoon in early Oct, I had a few days before the wedding and fish was desperate to get out of the house and out of the mess for a bit, the thought crossed my mind that I'd barley hunted the 280 acres I was now living on, and I remembered nearly five years ago helping hang a stand in an old hayfield that was starting to get overgrown, a quick check of the wind revealed it was right to still hunt that field.

Once in the field evidence of deer in the area was not difficult to find, however there wasn't nothing fantastic, until suddenly at 20 yards a large body with horns stood up, and another behind him, it was appearent that one of the animals was large bodied and had good bit of bone on his head, but not wanting to assume he was big enough without a better look he managed to walk off, not caring much about the vector.

In a few more weeks a stand went up overlooking this little field as bigger rubs kept appearing and large scrapes were soon following.

A few days later, Woodchuck said just after leaving the house he'd seen a really nice 8 on the hill, just after dark

On Nov 17th while still hunting a little patch of brush not far from the stand, there was a big 8 tending a doe, I watched them for somtime, however due to brush I couldn't see enough of him to decide if he how big he really was, both in body and horns.

Finally on Fri night, the wife asked where she should go, I told her the ladder stand over the old hay field and use the vector and the can.

Well according to her it was quite a conversation, she'd grunt at him, he'd grunt back take a few steps and grunt again. Finally at about 50 yards just before dark she let him have it and he dissapeared, it was a sleepless night at the Fish house, mainly cause she didn't sleep and wouldn't let me :whistle:

Early saturday morning it took about 15 minutes, to pick up blood, however after that it was a short track of mabey 50 yards and the big 8 was finally on the ground, :kewlpics: as soon as she gets em e-mailed to me, got a few for the vector poster she seems to think she needs to be on :shrug:

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
:cheers::claphands::cheers::wave:

·
PURE KILLER
38,020 Posts
:eek::but now i want to hear the real story:whistle:

·
Registered
13,957 Posts
:cheers::cheers::claphands::woot::woot:

·
Registered
411 Posts
I'm glad fishy made it sound it was all him..... oh well.... I guess I can give him some of the credit :stickfight:

[file]80567[/file]

[file]80565[/file]

·
Trapper Groupie
7,708 Posts
Glad he got ya a biggun:cheers::hysterical:

J/K

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
awesome buck

·
White Board Man
14,380 Posts
Congrats girlie, that is awesome, you're puttin' the smack down on ol' Fishshooter:eek:::claphands::cheers::woot::woot:

I wish he would have called the night you got it, I would have loved to come out and see and congratulate you in person

·
Registered
411 Posts
Long Story....

[rquote=1482592&tid=103662&author=coyotehunter]:eek::but now i want to hear the real story:whistle:[/rquote]

Really, I had been wanting to hunt this stand in the evening all season.... but class and everything else had kept me busy and not able to hunt! I got to the stand late, a few minutes after 4... I realized about half way to the stand I forgot my cell phone and flashlight.... Didn't think too much of it, with my luck didn't plan on seeing much, and thinking about just shooting a doe if she walked out in the field.

Sat in the stand for a while, planning what limbs needed to be trimmed up still... The sun was starting to go down, and I heard something on the hill behind me that sounded like a deer, I used the Can a couple of times. And then heard a buck grunting. We went back and forth for a few minutes, he came down the hill. All I could see through the brush was a pretty tall G2. I knew he was big enough for me, and stopped him with the Vector. When I shot he spun and took off with his tail down. I waited til it got dark, about 5 minutes, then went and marked where his prints were when I shot and he spun and took off.

Went back about 830 Saturday morning. We found bits of lung and pink frothy blood about 10-15 foot behind where I shot him. He went about 60 yards and died on the creek bed. I was excited when we found him... had pretty much decided I had missed by the time we got to the field that morning.

Dad was excited, it is the first big buck that any of our family has taken off this place! :2thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,513 Posts
very nice :eek::
way ta go you too :cheers:

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
70,980 Posts
Very nice.....:2thumbsup:

If you'd of had fishy tell that story, it'd a lasted 3 to 4 times longer though.....:D

·
Registered
411 Posts
[rquote=1482651&tid=103662&author=callaojoe]Very nice.....:2thumbsup:

If you'd of had fishy tell that story, it'd a lasted 3 to 4 times longer though.....:D[/rquote]

I know.... thats why I try not to let him tell too many stories.... sorry that I can't monitor him here for you all :scared:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts