Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
4,019 Posts
We always keep them on a cooler of water or a live well. Toss in some ice for both to keep them cold and firm. Carry them in a bucket of water to the fish cleaning station.

They still get slimey though. Just not as bad as when you toss them in ice.

· Registered
244 Posts
I usually let the water out of my live well when I leave the ramp then stop and grab a bag of ice about 5 minutes down the road and ice them down for the ride home. I never noticed the extra slime from the ice until you just brought it up, but I would have to agree. I end up pulling them outta my live well and hosing them off real quick to deal with the slime before putting them in a separate bucket to take to my cleaning table

· Registered
2,392 Posts
Ice either kills or makes them lethargic enough to not have them flipping around. I usually rinse them to get rid of the slime when iced. If they are alive and flipping I knock them out with the back of fillet knife right behind the eyes.

· Registered
13,207 Posts
Keep alive, put in a bucket of clean water while cleaning them. The water helps the slime a bunch, if they are just in a dry bucket they are really slimy. If you've got a big bunch and they start getting slimy halfway through, just dump off slime water and add fresh to the bucket.

1,222 Posts
Crappie aren’t so bad, but with cats and even walleye I cut the tail off when I’m loading the boat and throw them back in the full livewell. When I get home they’re bled out. Makes the filets nice and white and solves your flopping problem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.