Been a tough year for plottin

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by pinwheel, Jun 1, 2009.

1. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    Last Sunday, I was finally able to get into my back field & get some corn in the ground. 2 weeks ago, most of that field was under water for about the 5th time in 6 months. Sorry, no pics. I was on a dead run that whole day. A week later, I still had the fertilizer boxes full & the planter boxes with enough corn to plant 3-4 more acres. So, that's what I done yesterday.

I had planned to plant the front half of this field in corn & the back half in beans. Front half was still way, way too wet to work the ground, so, I just reversed my plan. Still got 2-3 weeks before it's too late to plant beans & the planter needed emptied.

Still not many pics. I was running hard & my camera person decided she had a lot to do at the shop.

Everything beyond the shooting house is now planted in corn. This is the field I'll wake up & see every morning once we get moved to the farm.
    [file]59257[/file]

This field was still a tad bit wet in the drainage areas, but I planted anyhow. 2 years in a row that I wouldn't be planted had I not bought the JD 7000 planter. Really love that rig.
    [file]59259[/file]

To the left of the tractor is the corn I planted last weekend. Again, it was too wet in area to work the ground well, but the 7000 allowed me to get seed in the ground. I was set a little deep, so the corn is just getting out of the ground here & there.
    [file]59261[/file]

All the rain this year has washed a lot of reed canary grass into all of my clover plots. Rather than spend the money on grass selective herbicides, I'm gonna disc all of them under & plant them in beans. If it ever dries up enough in those areas. Come fall, I'll just broadcast winter wheat into the beans so it'll be there next spring when I frost seed the areas back with clover. Hopefully the WW will utilize the excess nitrogen the clover has put in over the past 4 years.

2. rmr

rmr New Member

Stay with it Randy, I got lucky and worked my creek bottom a little wet, and caught some dry weather and then caught a little shower of rain after I planted it in the clods and
    yesterday I am happy to report you can row the little babies
    very nicely.

3. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    [rquote=1281882&tid=89703&author=rmr]Stay with it Randy, I got lucky and worked my creek bottom a little wet, and caught some dry weather and then caught a little shower of rain after I planted it in the clods and
    yesterday I am happy to report you can row the little babies
    very nicely.[/rquote]

Is your corn through the ground Mark? I had the depth wheels set too deep on mine. Hopefully later this week I'll be able to row the corn. As bad as I hate to wish for it, I would like to have a 1/4" or so to loosen up the crust.

4. rmr

rmr New Member

I mixed 15 pounds of corn with 200 lbs of bean seed
    and I think I got a pretty good mix about every 6-10 inches I have a corn plant Im hopin I didnt get it too thick to shade out my beans, I think it is going to be just about right,
    I planted it in moisture and the rains we have gotten (2 rains of 3 tenths both have left it in good shape
    here is a picture, of the plot by the shed, the bottom field is starting to look about this good,
    as I always say I would rather be lucky than good and
    I think this applys to my plots one more year.:2thumbsup:

[file]59263[/file]

5. buxNdux

buxNdux New Member

Oct 1, 2007
    KC
    Great work pinwheel. I always enjoy looking at your plot pics and hard work, I'm sure it will pay off for you come season.

You obviously know a lot more about plotting than me so take this for what its worth (not much), but have you considered throwing some clover down with the ww in the bean field this fall? I'm sure you have a reason for your decisions but I have always found clover much easier to establish when seeded in the fall with a cover crop. Even if you don't get much growth this fall you will at least get some established and can still frost seed more clover late winter.

Lookin forward to more pics later this summer, and get those trail cams up!

6. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
  7. Whitemarsh

Whitemarsh New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Greene Co.
    :eek:::claphands: Has the mystery seed sprouted yet?:D

8. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

tuff plantn for us too .. need lots of dry weather ( 2-3 weeks worth) , someone to buy Mobiggies skid steer & Time.

this was supposed to be fun .. its turned into work real quick

9. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    [rquote=1282017&tid=89703&author=Whitemarsh]:eek:::claphands: Has the mystery seed sprouted yet?:D[/rquote]

I think he solved the mystery if I'm thinking about the same thing you are.

10. CLIFFHANGER

CLIFFHANGER Active Member

Good stuff Randy and the hard work will pay off Hope Jeff got the beans in for me? Or in a couple of weeks I will sure be playing catch up! Always enjoy seeing what kid of stuff You and Jenny have going on!:cheers:
    Remind me when I get out their about that big pvc pipe You wanted and I will hook You up!