Beef as Good as Venison

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by oneshot 1, Oct 26, 2010.

1. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    Controversy has long raged about the relative quality and taste of venison and beef as gourmet foods. Some people say venison is tough, with a strong "wild" taste. Others insist venison's flavor is delicate. An independent food research group was retained by the Venison Council to conduct a taste test to determine the truth of these conflicting assertions once and for all.

First, a Grade A Choice Holstein steer was chased into a swamp a mile and a half from a road and shot several times. After some of the entrails were removed, the carcass was dragged back over rocks and logs, and through mud and dust to the road. It was then thrown into the back of a pickup truck and driven through rain and snow for 100 miles before being hung out in the sun for a day.

It was then lugged into a garage where it was skinned and rolled around on the floor for a while. Strict sanitary precautions were observed throughout the test, within the limitations of the butchering environment. For instance, dogs and cats were allowed to sniff and lick the steer carcass, but most of the time were chased away when they attempted to bite chunks out of it.

Next, a sheet of plywood left from last year's butchering was set up in the basement on two saw horses. The pieces of dried blood, hair and fat left from last year were scraped off with a wire brush last used to clean out the grass stuck under the lawn mower.

The skinned carcass was then dragged down the steps into the basement where a half dozen inexperienced but enthusiastic and intoxicated men worked on it with meat saws, cleavers, hammers and dull knives. The result was 375 pounds of soup bones, four bushel baskets of meat scraps, and a couple of steaks that were an eighth of an inch thick on one edge and an inch and a half thick on the other edge.

The steaks were seared on a glowing red hot cast iron skillet to lock in the flavor. When the smoke cleared, rancid bacon grease was added, along with three pounds of onions, and the whole conglomeration was fried for two hours.

The meat was gently teased from the frying pan and served to three intoxicated and blindfolded taste panel volunteers. Every member of the panel thought it was venison. One volunteer even said it tasted exactly like the venison he has eaten in hunting camps for the past 27 years.

oneshot
    :D The Big Grin just leave the Guts in so the Gas will build up.

2. chaser

chaser New Member

VENISON NO DOUBT IN MY MIND

3. conradtactical

conradtactical New Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Jefferson County, MO
    I'd take a bacon wrapped backstrap over a fillet Mignon any day.

4. bowhuntKS

bowhuntKS King of the White Ninjas

Sep 11, 2006
    KS
  5. deerslayer75

deerslayer75 Active Member

Jan 26, 2006
    Liberty, Missouri
    this may be sac religous on deer hunting but a perfect piece of prime rib is a hard thing to pass up

6. 20 feet high

20 feet high CROSSBOW HATER!

Feb 19, 2009
  7. knockemdeadd

knockemdeadd Active Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Arnold(St Louis)
    [rquote=1863018&tid=129719&author=conradtactical]I'd take a bacon wrapped filet mignon over a backstrap any day. [/rquote]

now you're talkin ! :D:cheers:

8. Heeler75

Heeler75 Confirmed Bachelor

Feb 10, 2008
    Over Yonder Way
    [rquote=1863058&tid=129719&author=deerslayer75]this may be sac religous on deer hunting but a perfect piece of prime rib is a hard thing to pass up[/rquote]

Wait till you have your first gemsbok filet. :claphands:

9. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    I've only got's one thing to say:

I had a conversation with a government dietitian once, and the topic of meat came up. She said I needed to watch my intake of red meat.

So...I asked her about venison...and she said, "Oh...you can have as much of that as you want!"

I don't usually care for government advice...but this was one opinion I couldn't ignore. :D

10. Rack_Hunter

Rack_Hunter Sensitivity Aficionado

Some venison is better than beef, I try to eat younger deer and give away the old bucks and does. Nuttin better than backstrap of button buck :peepwall:

11. seth_turner_04

seth_turner_04 Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2005
    Owensville, MO
    Venison steaks grilled to medium rare are my favorite. Man where's the drooling smiley..my mouth is literally watering just thinking about them right now!

12. Brian_J_BT_MO

Brian_J_BT_MO Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Bonne Terre, MO
    I love the taste of venison as much as I love a juicy 20 oz. 1 1/4" boneless ribeye. However they taste completely different to me. I have never eaten one and thought that it tasted like the other. Venison tastes like venison and beef tastes like beef.

13. Curtis

Curtis Active Member

Mar 1, 2005
    St. Peters, MO
    I don't doubt for one second that venison is better for you than beef. I probably shouldn't eat a pound at a time...but nonetheless :smiley:

As far as taste and cost goes, I think it's a misconception in the our line of thinking that venison is better per say.

Because of retail costs of beef, those on a budget tend to buy the lesser quality cheaper cuts like beef round steak or 70% lean burger and we try to compare that to a young deer loin and 95% lean burger. There is ovbouisly going to be a difference.

Some people can hunt in their back yard in their tan coveralls but deer hunting is a big business with a lot of costs for many people - ammunition fired during the year, gasoline, hotels/food, tags, clearance crap we don't need, etc.
    By the time it's processed, we're probably averaging 4-6 dollars a pound for deer (and that's not counting speciality processing like sausage) and you can buy a side of beef a lot cheaper than that. That being said, I haven't bought beef for years because I'm interested in the hobby of hunting. I think that goes for most here.

As said, deer can also taste a variety of ways. We all know what good deer tastes like but bad deer can taste like what they eat (sage out west for instance), the rut, or downright spoiled because of bad handling.

If forced with a decision for dinner "A random cut of random beef or a random cut of random deer", the beef may be the safer bet because you at least know what you're getting. :02:

14. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    [rquote=1863058&tid=129719&author=deerslayer75]this may be sac religous on deer hunting but a perfect piece of prime rib is a hard thing to pass up[/rquote]

:D

[file]143032[/file]

15. ImADoeBuster

ImADoeBuster New Member

Sep 14, 2003
    Jefferson City
    That was just a joke right? the whole story

16. ImADoeBuster

ImADoeBuster New Member

Sep 14, 2003
    Jefferson City
    Prime rib is not hard for me to pass up that aint cooked enough I dont like quivering meat or blood running out of it either :cool3:

17. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    I'm not passing a beef steak for deer. Guess I eat deer too often.

Parker

18. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    [rquote=1863371&tid=129719&author=Parker]I'm not passing a beef steak for deer. Guess I eat deer too often.

Parker[/rquote]

Yep, I really like venison.... But, I would never pass up a really nice beef steak, for a venison steak....

Venison tenderloin..... Well, it's pretty dern good.:cheers:

19. MajorWyss

MajorWyss New Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Audrain
    I like my red meat for sure, but I'll take venison over beef any day. I think it's mainly because I know it's such a treat and I can't just go buy it. I feel the pride of knowing I took part in putting it on the table. There ain't nothing that beats that :D

20. Moparpwr

Moparpwr Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Albany, Missouri
    I really enjoy venison but I don't think it can beat beef. We used to feed out a steer or two every year and have it butchered and I don't recall having any meat period that was as good or better. Of course as someone mentioned before a lot of people have different experiences with the beef or venison they eat.